Mason Greenwood (trigger warning: violence, sexual assault, threats to kill)

Day

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Yes he's under contract but are they really going to play him again? 

I believe they will eventually. Horrible things have gone off, but no doubt the old "well the charges were dropped" argument will come out.

Or, they'll make some money out of him by selling him to a club desperate for an attacking option. 

So presumably the CPS have judged that there isn't enough evidence to pursue the case and therefore he is innocent and can continue his career should he wish to and should anyone wish to employ him.

Except that the court of public opinion is not so understanding and that almost any club in the UK would find it almost impossible to employ him due to pressure from fans, sponsors and local/national media.

I have no liking of them but Man Utd are in an impossible situation - they can probably only pay his contract up and let him go, unless they sell him abroad.

33 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

So presumably the CPS have judged that there isn't enough evidence to pursue the case and therefore he is innocent and can continue his career should he wish to and should anyone wish to employ him.

Except that the court of public opinion is not so understanding and that almost any club in the UK would find it almost impossible to employ him due to pressure from fans, sponsors and local/national media.

I have no liking of them but Man Utd are in an impossible situation - they can probably only pay his contract up and let him go, unless they sell him abroad.

Or more likely the main witness ( potential  victim ) has decided not to cooperate with the case for whatever reason . Unfortunately this happens a lot with abuse cases when the people are known to each other. 
However you are correct know one will ever know if he is innocent or not and rightly or wrongly he will always have that stigma following him around. Very difficult situation for Man U , I suspect a career in the US or Middle East may follow. 

The CPS released the following statement,

“In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.

In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case."

I believe Greenwood and his alleged victim have since gotten engaged. I think we can all have a pretty good guess at what has occurred and it's a bit grim.

As to whether Greenwood will play again, the released audio complicates the issue. Ordinarily if no charges are brought then the person should be allowed to continue their career, but I doubt many fans (in this country at least) would be happy to see him in their squad.

5 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Very difficult situation for Man U , I suspect a career in the US or Middle East may follow. 

This seems a highly likely option to me.

No way will united want him around, firstly financially they can comfortably write him off, they’re not that desperate for money and you have to wonder, would it affect sponsorship more if he was to stay. Secondly, terrace culture would be merciless, he’s a bit more talented and high profile than Ched Evans (who managed to ignore the chants that continue, even after his acquittal). You only have to look at ourselves and the Collymore chant, clubs can’t stop fans singing what some would brand distasteful; plus there would be a media circus around him, you wonder if he’d really want that?

So my guess would be move abroad, who knows, being so young, he might just get a chance to return and ply his trade later in his career; depends how he views it. 

6 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Or more likely the main witness ( potential  victim ) has decided not to cooperate with the case for whatever reason . Unfortunately this happens a lot with abuse cases when the people are known to each other. 
However you are correct know one will ever know if he is innocent or not and rightly or wrongly he will always have that stigma following him around. Very difficult situation for Man U , I suspect a career in the US or Middle East may follow. 

The audio of him that was doing the rounds at the time was grim.  Personally. I have no doubt.

I’m sure there are clubs who are aware of players doing worse things, yet keeping them on. I’d be naive to think otherwise, nevertheless Greenwood’s indiscretion is very public and what he did should make everyone who heard it feel sick to their stomach. I’ve struggled to listen to it all, personally, I thought it was abhorrent.

Now, if I’m a United player, would I want to share a dressing room with him? Absolutely not. He was a supremely special talent, so I have no doubt someone looking to either win promotion to the Premier League or stay in the Premier League will take him on. Some club is going to swallow their morals to make it happen. 

Whoever makes the signing, it’s going to be a tough one for the fans to get behind. No chance he plays for United ever again. 

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

As were the pictures his soon-to-be wife posted on her Insta feed.

Exactly. Now unless all those are fake along with that video, can't think how they would be, then he is guilty. The evidence is there. Now the charges have been dropped probably because the victim has decided it.