Mason Greenwood (trigger warning: violence, sexual assault, threats to kill)

Day

I have read reports that he apparently has been acting Billy Big balls for a while and thought he was bigger / better than what he actually was. He also had a rocky relationship with some of the older players (Ronaldo, etc) before this.

Southgate obviously saw this, plus his behavior whilst with the squad  hence why he hasn't had a sniff of returning to the England fold.

I just hope that the due process is followed and justice is served correctly.

On 01/02/2022 at 17:49, Anon said:

There are fair points to be made about trial by social media, but Greenwood isn't a particularly sympathetic case, as the evidence we've all heard makes him look as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo.

There is another interesting story about a footballer and alleged rapist going around today. Sponsors are dropping Raith Rovers because they've signed David Goodwillie. A man who was not criminally convicted, but only found guilty in a civil action where the judge was permitted to rule on "the balance of possibilities" and did not require corroborative evidence.

And now they have come out and said he won’t play for the club, they are looking at a way to get him off their books due to the backlash.

37 minutes ago, David said:

And now they have come out and said he won’t play for the club, they are looking at a way to get him off their books due to the backlash.

What absolutely baffles me is how they didn't see this coming. I could understand wanting to sign the player and ignoring the outcry. I could understand not wanting your club to be associated with someone like Goodwillie at all. What I can't understand is how you could be so oblivious as to sign a player under these circumstances and so weak willed as to fold within a week. I'm sure the Raith fans are delighted as their club will now pay Goodwillie to sit on his backside for the duration of his contract.

17 minutes ago, Anon said:

What absolutely baffles me is how they didn't see this coming. I could understand wanting to sign the player and ignoring the outcry. I could understand not wanting your club to be associated with someone like Goodwillie at all. What I can't understand is how you could be so oblivious as to sign a player under these circumstances and so weak willed as to fold within a week. I'm sure the Raith fans are delighted as their club will now pay Goodwillie to sit on his backside for the duration of his contract.

I agree, whilst at the same time can maybe see how they thought it wouldn’t be that big of an issue. He was club captain and playing regularly for Clyde, this wasn’t a club that has come out and given him his first opportunity to get back into the game.

Looking at the comments on the Clyde tweet announcing the departure, their fans appear to be gutted.

32 minutes ago, Anon said:

What baffles me is that he hasn't been the subject of a petition to get his name changed.

2 hours ago, David said:

I agree, whilst at the same time can maybe see how they thought it wouldn’t be that big of an issue. He was club captain and playing regularly for Clyde, this wasn’t a club that has come out and given him his first opportunity to get back into the game.

Looking at the comments on the Clyde tweet announcing the departure, their fans appear to be gutted.

This is maybe what I don’t understand some people coming out and saying they won’t support the club etc, and maybe a little hypocritical?

Seems like they were perfectly happy with this lad playing football as long as it’s not for their club? So how much does his guilty finding really bother them? Not enough to protest his return to playing football, just enough when it directly effects them?

1 minute ago, mrdave85 said:

This is maybe what I don’t understand some people coming out and saying they won’t support the club etc, and maybe a little hypocritical?

Seems like they were perfectly happy with this lad playing football as long as it’s not for their club? So how much does his guilty finding really bother them? Not enough to protest his return to playing football, just enough when it directly effects them?

It's an interesting point and doesn't make much sense.

Had the sponsor not pulled out and director resigned, would there have been the same backlash?

When Tom Lawrence crashed his car drink driving, some wanted him chucked out the club, whilst wouldn't have an issue with another player that was convicted for drink driving at another club.

Had we got rid of him, a number of clubs would have been lining up to sign him. Bournemouth wanted him last month.

When Lawrence scores a goal, look around to see how many fans are sat on their hands refusing to celebrate as it's him.

Joey Barton, I was vocal in not wanting him at the club when rumours were circling, the crimes he's committed and his general character wasn't something I wanted associated with the club, yet I had no issues with Tom Lawrence continuing to play for us.

Sounds hypocritical, especially when Lawrence's crime could have killed not only himself, but other innocent people.

27 minutes ago, David said:

It's an interesting point and doesn't make much sense.

Had the sponsor not pulled out and director resigned, would there have been the same backlash?

When Tom Lawrence crashed his car drink driving, some wanted him chucked out the club, whilst wouldn't have an issue with another player that was convicted for drink driving at another club.

Had we got rid of him, a number of clubs would have been lining up to sign him. Bournemouth wanted him last month.

When Lawrence scores a goal, look around to see how many fans are sat on their hands refusing to celebrate as it's him.

Joey Barton, I was vocal in not wanting him at the club when rumours were circling, the crimes he's committed and his general character wasn't something I wanted associated with the club, yet I had no issues with Tom Lawrence continuing to play for us.

Sounds hypocritical, especially when Lawrence's crime could have killed not only himself, but other innocent people.

I guess it's the difference between what you determined was a severe error of judgement that was out of character and a scum bag like Barton who has repeatedly been involved in violent incidents indicating an undesirable character trait. 

The question of footballers who have committed crimes and their employment after a criminal offence is a difficult subject. Many of them have little to no other education or skill set so what are they exactly supposed to do? Give up and go become a post man? As a society we believe in rehabilitation and second chances apart from if they are deemed to be privileged enough for us to tell them to get in the bin essentially. But there is also the idea that footballers are role models and doing that job requires a certain level of character beyond merely kicking a ball about but that line between irredeemable and second chance status is oftentimes a blurry one.  

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule and I'd suggest if Greenwood is found guilty a club shouldn't touch him with a 10ft pole. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

I guess it's the difference between what you determined was a severe error of judgement that was out of character and a scum bag like Barton who has repeatedly been involved in violent incidents indicating an undesirable character trait. 

The question of footballers who have committed crimes and their employment after a criminal offence is a difficult subject. Many of them have little to no other education or skill set so what are they exactly supposed to do? Give up and go become a post man? As a society we believe in rehabilitation and second chances apart from if they are deemed to be privileged enough for us to tell them to get in the bin essentially. But there is also the idea that footballers are role models and doing that job requires a certain level of character beyond merely kicking a ball about but that line between irredeemable and second chance status is oftentimes a blurry one.  

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule and I'd suggest if Greenwood is found guilty a club shouldn't touch him with a 10ft pole. 

Any parents reading should take note and make sure their kids don’t put all their eggs into one basket. Not suggesting they should prepare for their child to rape or assault someone, it could easily be a career ending injury like George Thorne, some may not reach those levels to earn enough money to set themselves up.

Having a criminal record can prevent you from getting certain jobs, any footballer given a chance after a criminal conviction should be grateful. However it gets tricky where players such as Goodwillie that were not criminally prosecuted may as well have been with the way they are treated by fans.

6 hours ago, Anon said:

They probably judged that Goodwillie had played for another team in Scottish football, had been captain of the club, rebuilt his reputation and clearly had a good relationship with the fans (including, no doubt, some female fans) and therefore, by any account he had, from the outside at least, repaired his damaged reputation.  So why not sign him?  Perhaps they judged that time and reputation had moved on sufficiently and, maybe without an award winning author as sponsor raising publicity, they might have been correct.

The problem with these cases - and it will be exactly the same with Mason Greenwood if he is found guilty in either a criminal or civil court - is that they never do quite go away.  The person 'at fault' may want to move on, may do lots of good things with their life, may learn lessons, be contrite, do their best to be a good, functioning member of society but others won't let them do so.  You can understand a victim (and their family's) biased perspective, less so the social media pitchfork carriers.  We allow murderers out of prison after their sentence is served in many cases.  They operate in and contribute to, society, or at least that's the aim. The alternative is that we just throw away the keys, which some advocate, but that's broadly not our system.

We don't have the death penalty any more (which would solve the problem) so society has to find ways of dealing with, engaging with and trying to turn into useful members of the population a variety of people, including rapists and sexual aggressors.  We, on the outside, may instinctively want to wash our collective hands of the problem but our taxes employ people whose job it is to find solutions.

9 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

With the Mendy deal done and Greenwood in the pipeline it looks like HMP Strangeways first XI had a better transfer window than Newcastle.

Has anyone here played against a prison team? They were always my favourite games because it was reffed by one of the wardens, so their players couldn't kick lumps out of you and get away with it like every other team in the league.

10 minutes ago, Anon said:

Has anyone here played against a prison team? They were always my favourite games because it was reffed by one of the wardens, so their players couldn't kick lumps out of you and get away with it like every other team in the league.

My Sunday league team played Sudbury prison every pre-season in a friendly. Some little stories over the years.

One game was reffed by a polite older chap who never got one bit of backchat from the prisoners. He was not a warden but a well respected gentleman finishing a long sentence at the open prison. Rumour had it he was a major gangland figure.

A local "businessman" once told our manager that he was going to be the sponge man for the match and came in with us. He obviously needed to speak to one of the residents, we didn't ask!

On a different occasion, a guy I knew slightly approached me as we trooped off the field and asked me to tell his brother he needed £10 very quickly. He was pleading and begging me to do it. I went into the Three Tuns pub that evening and saw the brother. I pulled him to one side and told him, to which he replied, "he can duck off". Nice family.........

4 hours ago, Anon said:

Played cricket at sudbury once never short of volunteers to fetch the ball when it cleared the fence