The Administration Thread

Boycie

I don't think that any bidder will front up £5m. With HMRC not settled and maybe £70m needed, plus the Mel to settle with for the ground, the whole negotiation could easily make any take over non-viable. No one is going risk flushing £5m away. 

In my opinion, what will happen is that a preferred bidder will agree to cover the costs during the exclusivity period, in exchange for the final say on all decisions. 

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I don't think that any bidder will front up £5m. With HMRC not settled and maybe £70m needed, plus the Mel to settle with for the ground, the whole negotiation could easily make any take over non-viable. No one is going risk flushing £5m away. 

In my opinion, what will happen is that a preferred bidder will agree to cover the costs during the exclusivity period, in exchange for the final say on all decisions. 

If £5 m is needed to get us til end of season then that is why they are committing to. 

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Is there reliable information as to who Appleby’s investors are ?  I wondered whether he’s fronting for Gadsby and others who would provide life support if needed. If the Binnies and Ashley are still bidding maybe Appleby will just fade away 

It's the American Rich Riley. That was discussed on here a few weeks ago. Charlotte Ram acknowledged it and clarified it when someone had identified the wrong Rich Riley.

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

This was one theory that Hoskin, in the recent Chris Coles interview, roundly debunked. He described the notion that Mel is pulling the strings as ‘fantasy land’. 

I didn't say that Mel was pulling the Admin's strings but he owns the stadium and is free to negotiate its sale as he sees fit. The stadium is not in administration.

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Is there reliable information as to who Appleby’s investors are ?  I wondered whether he’s fronting for Gadsby and others who would provide life support if needed. If the Binnies and Ashley are still bidding maybe Appleby will just fade away 

We hardly knew who the investors were last time he took us over. Why would that change

39 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I don't think that any bidder will front up £5m

Cornwall Ram / Pete, I understand that the £5m was a non-refundable deposit for a bidder. That money is secured by the administrators and provides our funding guarantee for the rest of the season, which would satisfy EFL preconditions for the takeover.

Edited by Woodypecker

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Whatever the new owners intentions for us are (selling us for a profit later on, as a marketing vehicle for Sports Direct etc, whatever), they're not served by starting us off on -15 next season, especially if that's in League 1.  The only way you gain real value from owning Derby County is by getting us into the Prem, or at least as serious Championship promotion contenders. 

I'm not saying they're going to turn us into a top 6 Prem team or anything, but there's no point paying the millions required for a lower Championship or League 1 club.  If that's what you want, there are probably much better options available at a much lower cost.  You buy Derby because we have the potential to be a Prem team (stadium, fanbase, facilities etc).

Derby is a great club.  My 'second team' as I moved to Coventry in the 1965.  The only issue with any takeover is motivation of the owners.  We ended up with SISU who thought they could run rough shod over everyone in their path.  This took us down to League 2. I have no respect for them or the journey they took us on.  If you have several bidders you are in with a better chance than us.  Hopefully this will resolve soon and you will be in recovery mode for a while.  If you end up with a hedge fund or the likes you will struggle to make headway. Although they get paid on results they also hold tight purse strings.  I guess it's a case of good accounting and having a strategic focus...They got it wrong at Coventry.  Recruiting crap managers for several years, running out expensive player contracts and pitching their model on stable balance sheets.  This extended to us fans becoming nomads on 2 occasions.  Long story.  

I think Derby will take a bit of time to flourish again.  You may go down but the last couple of months prove that you have a solid team on the pitch ATM.

Just now, Flying Fokker said:

Derby is a great club.  My 'second team' as I moved to Coventry in the 1965.  The only issue with any takeover is motivation of the owners.  We ended up with SISU who thought they could run rough shod over everyone in their path.  This took us down to League 2. I have no respect for them or the journey they took us on.  If you have several bidders you are in with a better chance than us.  Hopefully this will resolve soon and you will be in recovery mode for a while.  If you end up with a hedge fund or the likes you will struggle to make headway. Although they get paid on results they also hold tight purse strings.  I guess it's a case of good accounting and having a strategic focus...They got it wrong at Coventry.  Recruiting crap managers for several years, running out expensive player contracts and pitching their model on stable balance sheets.  This extended to us fans becoming nomads on 2 occasions.  Long story.  

I think Derby will take a bit of time to flourish again.  You may go down but the last couple of months prove that you have a solid team on the pitch ATM.

Ah SISU or the three amigos filtering revenue.  We had a great choice in 2005 on our previous 20 year regular administration issue.  We're actually 3 years early

41 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I didn't say that Mel was pulling the Admin's strings but he owns the stadium and is free to negotiate its sale as he sees fit. The stadium is not in administration.

I hate to say this, but if a lot of debt is carried by Mel he will have leverage in any bid.  He may agree to take on the debt again.  In which case the Administrators will have no choice to accept because it is the best outcome. if he walks away it is more of a level playing field. 

One of the barriers to having new owners at Coventry was that SISU did exactly that.  We still have them hanging around.

8 minutes ago, Flying Fokker said:

I hate to say this, but if a lot of debt is carried by Mel he will have leverage in any bid.  He may agree to take on the debt again.  In which case the Administrators will have no choice to accept because it is the best outcome. if he walks away it is more of a level playing field. 

One of the barriers to having new owners at Coventry was that SISU did exactly that.  We still have them hanging around.

mel Morris debt is unsecured. It's pretty worthless really. Which will not make it too hard for him to write off. And he will write it off.  

It was my understanding the £5 million none refundable deposit was a condition of being named PB.

If the above is correct what would be the point of putting in a bid if you were not prepared to pay the £5 million and be named PB ?

Edited by Elwood P Dowd
spelling

34 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

It was my understanding the £5 million none refundable deposit was a condition of being named PB.

If the above is correct what would be the point of putting in a bid if you were not prepared to pay the £5 million and be named PB ?

Being PB in this situation is pretty far down the road, so it's got to be serious and all bidders must know the club needs cash to keep operating.