Sitcoms

sage

Blackadder was my absolute favourite, in order: Series 3, followed by 2,4 and 1

Others:

I'm Alan Partridge

The Good Life

One foot in the grave

Ab Fab (though I admit that bits of it were either hilarious or crap)

Modern Family (first 7-8 seasons, anyway)

Friends

Peep Show

Friday night dinner

Catastrophe

Cougar Town

My wife is from Peru (I may have mentioned this already once or twice), so she doesn’t have the same media bank of culturally iconic moments in her head as I do. A few days ago she saw a clip on Facebook of someone recreating the famous OFAH scene with the bar (play it cool trig). To most brits, this is ingrained in our collective consciousness, so the reference would be instantly recognisable. But my wife had never seen it, she thought it was some sort of genuine you’ve been framed clip and was absolutely wetting herself laughing. So I had to show her the original scene from OFAH. But because she didn’t have any frame of reference, she didn’t find it half as funny. She preferred the home made version that two blokes had made at a wedding or something. 

I find that very sad. Frankly, I think the citizenship test should involve identifying clips like this. Basil falty beating a mini up with a branch, arguing over a dead parrot, singing about a lovely horse, I don’t believe it, I have a cunning plan. If you can’t instantly recognise these references, you’ve failed the citizenship test. 

(she was actually asked questions like ‘how many people sit on the Welsh assembly?’ Who the duck cares about that?!?!)

For 'recent' ones, I like Stath Lets Flats, Derry Girls and This Country. This Country is by far the funniest thing I have seen in a long time, but maybe I relate to it more geographically? ?

Then you obviously have the excellent older British ones that have already been mentioned like Peep Show, IT Crowd, The Office etc...

American ones I've given a go include The Office US, Brooklyn 99, Parks & Recreation, Schitts Creek. The Office US is the only of those I really loved throughout most of it, the others were funny in parts and definitely watchable, but not exactly rib-tickling.

22 hours ago, sage said:

Why have they declined?

In 20 years nobody wants to be apologising for a line that is now seen to be offensive.

I say this in jest, but even the much loved Only Fools & Horses hasn't escaped having episodes edited before shown on TV now.

We're in an age now where rather than not watch, it has to be cancelled and deemed offensive.

Reality TV shows have also taken over as they are easy sells, load them up with celebrities dancing around, sitting in a fake jungle. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

In 20 years nobody wants to be apologising for a line that is now seen to be offensive.

I say this in jest, but even the much loved Only Fools & Horses hasn't escaped having episodes edited before shown on TV now.

We're in an age now where rather than not watch, it has to be cancelled and deemed offensive.

Reality TV shows have also taken over as they are easy sells, load them up with celebrities dancing around, sitting in a fake jungle. 

I personally think it is a cost thing. Panels shows are a cheaper quicker way of making comedy output and more easily produced by independent production companies. I think they gave replaced sitcoms more than reality shows. I'm not a fan of many reality shows but they do at least seem to have that collective watching experience where you can talk about watching it the following day at work/school. 

I don't get the 'cancel culture' explanation as the same could apply to any programme. Though it could be argued that the expense that goes into making a sitcom would require a longer lasting popularity.

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

My wife is from Peru (I may have mentioned this already once or twice), so she doesn’t have the same media bank of culturally iconic moments in her head as I do. A few days ago she saw a clip on Facebook of someone recreating the famous OFAH scene with the bar (play it cool trig). To most brits, this is ingrained in our collective consciousness, so the reference would be instantly recognisable. But my wife had never seen it, she thought it was some sort of genuine you’ve been framed clip and was absolutely wetting herself laughing. So I had to show her the original scene from OFAH. But because she didn’t have any frame of reference, she didn’t find it half as funny. She preferred the home made version that two blokes had made at a wedding or something. 

I find that very sad. Frankly, I think the citizenship test should involve identifying clips like this. Basil falty beating a mini up with a branch, arguing over a dead parrot, singing about a lovely horse, I don’t believe it, I have a cunning plan. If you can’t instantly recognise these references, you’ve failed the citizenship test. 

(she was actually asked questions like ‘how many people sit on the Welsh assembly?’ Who the duck cares about that?!?!)

Pretty sure it was an Austin 1100...but they might be some piston heads on here that knows for sure.

Show your Wife this one...it's Iconic...there's USA/Canadian citizens that don't get it, For me far far outweighs Delboy falling through a bar.

You'll spend half the day explaining to her...all the best ?

Four Candles

Blackadder

Father Ted

Frasier

Dad's Army

The Two Ronnies

All of the above I can watch over and over again.

Some, like 'Til Death us do part, Steptoe and Son I can't watch despite their genius because they are too rooted in tragedy. Alf Garnett, Harold Steptoe led such unhappy lives that they stood no chance of escaping from and although I find it very funny it's also almost too sad to watch, not to mention poor, put-upon Hercules! I feel like I shouldn't be laughing. I know that most comedy has its roots in tragedy and I find that an amazing fact.

This thread has made me determined to watch more sit-coms, especially the more recent ones which I have ignored. Thanks to all who have posted with recommendations. ☺️