Sitcoms

sage

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Larry David is one of those writers/comics that I have a lot of time for, Ricky Gervais was in one episode, Must have been good when rehersing.

Series 11 episode 7-8 with Tracy Ullman...I almost wet myself laughing.

Yeah, we commented that David and Ullman must have had a blast filming those scenes.

6 hours ago, sage said:

What are your favourites?

Underated ones?

Why have they declined?

What was the the last great sitcom? 

I don't think it's declined at all, just diversified and because of how fractured TV has become, been trickier to find.

Not sure anything has ever hit the heights of Fawlty Towers, The Office (UK) and Black Adder (maybe even Fools and Horses), over the last decade, but the problem is that most TV now is written by committee so you lose that edge/risk., like dranSchitt's Creek was outstanding, but you really had a slog to get there in terms of understanding the characters. 

Flea Bag was great and the last two season of Curb Your Enthusiasm have been outstanding.

The Steve Coogan/Alan Partridge morning show thingee (forget the name now) is brilliant and Alma's Not Normal is pretty good. 

I think drama has never been as good and the same goes for comedy. It just takes more hunting down with a gazillion channels to search.

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

In no particular order

Curb Your Enthusiasm...so many tiny plots, Got all 11 series on Sky.

Blackadder 1, 2, 3 and 4, I don't watch the last of series 4 when they go over the top...I get choked up.

Yes Minister/Priminister...I'm sure this is true to life

Young Ones, Bloody students

Green green grass

Married with Children...Peggy a MILF

Sorry...Timothy

Sienfeld...one plot with several sub plots...Kramer?

Dads Army...Love it, Just love it.

Plebs

Ever decreasing circles...Ange may be turning into Hilda, I'd be the Lorry Driver ?

The Office(English)Gervais is mostly good, Done some carp imo

Extras

The Inbetweeners

Royle Family

Motherhood

Porridge

After Life...series 3 out soon on Netflix

Little Britain

Only Fools and Horses

Till Death Us Do Part

Vicar of Dibley...My Dad would like to give you one Miss ?

The Good Life

Wracked my brain...i'm sure there's more, "Comedy" today I don't find amusing.

I'd agree with almost all of those.

I hated Sorry, I mean really hated it. It would be in my list of worst popular comedies of all time. And I didn't like Vicar of Dibley, but that's probably just because I don't care for Dawn French.

And the very last Black Adder had me in tears too. I don't think it was OTT, just really brilliant writing. A bit like After Life. You laugh you cry.

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'd agree with almost all of those.

I hated Sorry, I mean really hated it. It would be in my list of worst popular comedies of all time. And I didn't like Vicar of Dibley, but that's probably just because I don't care for Dawn French.

And the very last Black Adder had me in tears too. I don't think it was OTT, just really brilliant writing. A bit like After Life. You laugh you cry.

I have a Rather Large Tattoo of Flanders Fields on my back...this one, Much much larger tho, And the 306 who were shot at dawn...so so sad!

image.png.d0c04cec36deedead3ff7c740901d7d2.png

I can get very emotional where the 1st World War is concerned and how it all started, With one fat Austrian assasinated in Sarajevo , On my Mothers side...all Austrian.

51 minutes ago, Rev said:

Not one mention of Father Ted so far, what's up with you people?

Great shout, cant believe I missed it off. 2nd best ever for me behind OFAH. I love the Christmas special as well, brilliant 

1 hour ago, Kooklaram said:

What we do in the shadows.

Thought the first series was pretty underwhelming and surprisingly boring.

Thought series 2 excellent as the characters found some footing and rhythm, but 5 episodes into series 3 and I can't really be arsed with it again.

Maybe I just need to be in a certain mood for it.

Edited by Coconut's Beard