Sitcoms

sage

23 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Blackadder

Father Ted

Frasier

Dad's Army

The Two Ronnies

All of the above I can watch over and over again.

Some, like 'Til Death us do part, Steptoe and Son I can't watch despite their genius because they are too rooted in tragedy. Alf Garnett, Harold Steptoe led such unhappy lives that they stood no chance of escaping from and although I find it very funny it's also almost too sad to watch, not to mention poor, put-upon Hercules! I feel like I shouldn't be laughing. I know that most comedy has its roots in tragedy and I find that an amazing fact.

This thread has made me determined to watch more sit-coms, especially the more recent ones which I have ignored. Thanks to all who have posted with recommendations. ☺️

I'm not too sure whether you're on a wind up here Miggins.

You do know they were characters ...right

Alf Garnett was an east ender, A bigot, Wife abuser, Hated scousers and as tight as a ducks ass.

Harold Steptoe,  Was a Womaniser without getting a Woman, Who looked after his Father who was a coniving old sod.

Hercules on the other hand...was a horse

I get the feeling you've gone fishing and caught a whopper Kristen Wiig Snl GIF by MacGruber

Quite serious, Alf and not a wind up at all! (I'm not that clever!?) Perhaps I shouldn't take comedy so seriously! Perhaps instead of tragedy I should have said that a lot of comedy is generated by sad situations. Probably over-analyzing here! However, I still felt really sorry for Hercules!

I know that it's been rightly pointed out that Not the Nine o'clock News and Little Britain weren't sit coms but I found them very funny too!

Edited by Miggins

8 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Quite serious, Alf and not a wind up at all! (I'm not that clever!?) Perhaps I shouldn't take comedy so seriously! 

I know that it's been rightly pointed out that Not the Nine o'clock News and Little Britain weren't sit coms but I found them very funny too!

Hhmmm, If you've not seen After Life with Ricky Gervais...take a look, Comedy and Serious life at it's best and worse.

It's was/is on Netflix.

Does Toast of London count as a sitcom? What about Flowers? Both C4 both very good The Detectorists is a must watch.

Galavant... musical sitcom, brilliant, one of my favourite series.

Trial & Error (spoof of The Staircase) was brilliant from 2017

Further away from sitcom but still sorta counts... Upright (Tim Minchin) amazing,

Medicial police on Netflix decent

Don't Trust The Bitch in Apt 23 was great but cut far too short

Edited by Coconut's Beard

12 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Boosh yes, never got Reeves & Mortimer, Shooting Stars etc, they're two comics beter off apart IMO

I loved Shooting Stars. Their own show stuff i found very patchy, occasionally brilliant. I think the panel show format channelled them well.  Bob is superb on WILTY 

33 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm not sure if they're sitcoms or rather observational wryly amusing drama but I enjoy stuff penned by Craig cash. 

Royle family and early doors both have some cracking moments (as well as moments of pathos) 

Though I've liked more recent sitcoms, for me, The Royle Family was the last great sitcom. 

4 hours ago, sage said:

Though I've liked more recent sitcoms, for me, The Royle Family was the last great sitcom. 

The Royle Family had the stronger ensemble cast. Including the late and hilarious Liz Smith, who I also used to enjoy in Vicar of Dibley and an earlier one called I Didn't Know You Cared back in the late 70s.

27 minutes ago, enachops said:

Early Doors is a very underrated comedy. Brilliant, set in a pub in the early 2000’s. Only 2 series made but the characters are great.

On a different scale, The Inbetweeners is class. A modern classic! 

Agree re Early Doors. Captured a working class world that is disappearing