Sitcoms

sage

5 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Watched Still Game during the first lockdown and I thought that was better than any sitcom I’d watched in years. It does become a bit of a parody towards its end but a lot of it is excellent.

Would love to watch Early Doors again, if only for this excellent moment

Tommy was a classic character. 

That scene and the one where he moves his table into the gents lav to avoid the pub quiz are absolute legends ?

That was a cracking find... 

On 22/12/2021 at 14:32, Anag Ram said:

I liked Alma’s not normal and it helped that it was largely autobiographical. 

I'm enjoying it, but stuck after episode two because the wife doesn't like it and I rarely watch TV without her.

I compared it to Flea Bag which she loves and you would have thought I'd have compared poached lobster to raw wood lice such was her revulsion.

On 22/12/2021 at 13:09, TuffLuff said:

Watched Still Game during the first lockdown and I thought that was better than any sitcom I’d watched in years. It does become a bit of a parody towards its end but a lot of it is excellent.

Would love to watch Early Doors again, if only for this excellent moment

Early doors was great, especially the policemen!

11 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

It still doesn't make them sitcoms anymore than a burglar dying in the first episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm makes it a drama

situations=sit coms=situation comedy

Burglar dying in first episode of CYE had a dramatic effect=drama

Merry Xmas B t B ?

Edited by Unlucky Alf

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Recent - 'Back' is decent, 'Fleabag' was good too.

Fairly recent - Inbetweeners and League of Gentlemen.

Oldies/nostalgic -  'Allo Allo and Home to Roost

Classics - Frasier and Steptoe

So bad they are good - On The Buses and Some Mothers Do Ave Em.

Inbetweeners is one of my all time favs, just everything about it was perfect.

I totally loved 'Allo 'Allo at the time and even went to see the live stage show somewhere in London, but now I cringe with embarrassment at it. Some comedies just don't age well. 

Loved On the Buses just for Blakey and of course Steptoe was way ahead of its time.

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Loved On the Buses just for Blakey and of course Steptoe was way ahead of its time.

Even at the time there was an element of tongue in cheek that somehow the two ageing, deeply unattractive fellas were living with their Mum's and 'knocking off birds' and making lewd comments about getting double helpings. So deluded the jokes on them.

Reminds me a bit of Will Ferrell's character in The Wedding Crashers.

Edited by Chester40

Unless I have missed it no one has mentioned my favourite Green Wing has me crying with laughter even after several repeats. Going back a bit A Very Peculiar Practice I recall was very good as was The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin. Agree, Last Orders was brilliant and Flea Bag and Almas Not Normal excellent more recently but the best of the last couple of years for me has been Young Offenders.

25 years ago yesterday “Time on our hands” aired. Let’s be honest, nothing comes close to OFAH really does it ?

B7456AD1-3048-4CE0-9F9B-891898A0E169.jpeg

Edited by TexasRam