Alan Nixon Breaks Silence on American Billionaire Bid

Kernow

10 hours ago, rebb1 said:

Another interesting comment re the £55 million bid was if there was crowd funding by DCFC fans of around £50,000, then there could be a 'fan on the board'

They’d be the most hated fan in the support base.

Could you imagine it?

Look at how much stick the Fan Groups get ?

23 hours ago, Crewton said:

When Vodafone and others got their sweetheart deals, saving them billions in tax, there was no public outcry from the taxpayer. No political fall-out whatsoever. This argument that the taxpayer will feel robbed is overplayed. Fans of rival football teams will of course bang on about it for decades, obviously, like they do about a disrespectful chant they heard at a game 20 years ago, but would have no impact on hmrc or the government. I doubt therefore that "public outcry" will be high on their considerations, but I accept deterrence might be. 

It's also worth pointing out that, when those sweetheart deals were done, no precedent that any other company could rely on was set. HMRC have always followed their own rules within the statutory framework set by government. 

Really, nobody thought it unreasonable?

image.thumb.png.61144203478311c4c459a2890b484278.png

image.png.26a23177d0f0a6a204c667847270c2e7.png

Det: Mel Morris made 'heartbreaking' contribution to fan-led review in wake of Derby County administration!

Mm has nearly put Derby into liquidation, but in looking for something else to blame!

Honestly, if he hadn't made a number of daft decisions, the club would be a lot less likely to be in this state.

10 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Det: Mel Morris made 'heartbreaking' contribution to fan-led review in wake of Derby County administration!

Mm has nearly put Derby into liquidation, but in looking for something else to blame!

Honestly, if he hadn't made a number of daft decisions, the club would be a lot less likely to be in this state.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/mel-morris-Derby-county-crouch-6322990

In other news, Mel Morris was asked if he had made mistakes regarding the purchases of such players as Jacob Butterfield, Ikechi Anya and Nick Blackman, and the wages that were approved for them.

”That’s a good question. I have pondered this, and looking back it is clear to me that my Managers and Recruitment Team did not do a good job. But you have to remember that this is against the background that fans were demanding stellar purchases at the time. Then, you have to take into account the role of Huddersfield, Watford and Reading. They were clearly selling players at the top of their careers, at vastly inflated prices. The players agents also were responsible for forcing the salaries up to unbelievable levels, and of course the EFL ratified all the transfers. Even HMRC didn’t guide me that the fees/wages might be out of proportion. In truth only Stephen Pearce offered any constructive support saying we could write the costs down over a 10 year period. So no, I don’t think I made any mistakes personally”.

25 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/mel-morris-Derby-county-crouch-6322990

In other news, Mel Morris was asked if he had made mistakes regarding the purchases of such players as Jacob Butterfield, Ikechi Anya and Nick Blackman, and the wages that were approved for them.

”That’s a good question. I have pondered this, and looking back it is clear to me that my Managers and Recruitment Team did not do a good job. But you have to remember that this is against the background that fans were demanding stellar purchases at the time. Then, you have to take into account the role of Huddersfield, Watford and Reading. They were clearly selling players at the top of their careers, at vastly inflated prices. The players agents also were responsible for forcing the salaries up to unbelievable levels, and of course the EFL ratified all the transfers. Even HMRC didn’t guide me that the fees/wages might be out of proportion. In truth only Stephen Pearce offered any constructive support saying we could write the costs down over a 10 year period. So no, I don’t think I made any mistakes personally”.

With am answer like that, I'd say MM is nailed-on to be a government minister within six months.

26 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Everyone's fault except him ?

That one bit tells you everything you need to know about the man.

40 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Absolute drivel.  Like genuinely, unmitigated drivel. 

Of all the mistakes that were made during his tenure, I think the "big signings" were the worst. The overspending itself, the manager merry-go-round, the war with the EFL, the accounting nonsense etc were all bad. But the strategy that lead to us signing the likes of Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Anya, Vydra, Waghorn, Malone etc is unforgiveable.  And I'm not specifically targeting those players, I'm targeting the overall strategy of signing relatively old, expensive players at the peak of their value.  And seemingly with no thought where they would fit into the team.  That strategy ultimately came from Morris, whether it was his own invention, a choice of the people he chose to surround himself with, or just happened because he didn't have the capacity, knowledge or correct advice to say "no" to it.

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Of all the mistakes that were made during his tenure, I think the "big signings" were the worst. The overspending itself, the manager merry-go-round, the war with the EFL, the accounting nonsense etc were all bad. But the strategy that lead to us signing the likes of Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Anya, Vydra, Waghorn, Malone etc is unforgiveable.  And I'm not specifically targeting those players, I'm targeting the overall strategy of signing relatively old, expensive players at the peak of their value.  And seemingly with no thought where they would fit into the team.  That strategy ultimately came from Morris, whether it was his own invention, a choice of the people he chose to surround himself with, or just happened because he didn't have the capacity, knowledge or correct advice to say "no" to it.

So true. Absolute drivel. 

Interesting that Morris seems to be calling for more regulations now, when he spent much of his tenure using loopholes to avoid many of the regulations that were already in place and indeed received a 9 point deduction for this. I have trouble believing he would have any more respect for any new authority and their rules than he did for the ones already in place. Tried to be too clever, it didn’t work, I’m sure we’d be in the same place no matter the regulatory body or the regulations themselves.

The other 12 points is solely down to him not wanting to play with the toys he bought anymore. 

21 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Vydra was a good signing IMO

14 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Vydra was a good signing IMO

No, he wasn't IMO. He was a bad signing we got very, very lucky with.

Pearson signed him to be our Vardy (IMO anyway). He couldn't do that as he isn't strong enough.  We sacked Pearson and replaced him with McClaren, who wanted to play his usual pass-and-move 433, which needs a focal point up-front. Vydra can't do that job and he ended up on the bench or stuck out wide.  Eventually we sacked McClaren and replaced him with Rowett who basically gutted the remaining talent we had and replaced them with 30+ year olds but managed to get the most out of Vydra, and we sold him a year later for what was a relatively small profit (~£3m profit on an ~£8.5m purchase). 

It took 3 managers, and the forcing out of players like Hughes, for us to realise 1 good season and a £3m profit from an £8.5m signing.

And even beyond that, my point still stands. We signed a player at the top of his value, that couldn't do the job we wanted him for. 

39 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Interesting that Morris seems to be calling for more regulations now, when he spent much of his tenure using loopholes to avoid many of the regulations that were already in place and indeed received a 9 point deduction for this. I have trouble believing he would have any more respect for any new authority and their rules than he did for the ones already in place. Tried to be too clever, it didn’t work, I’m sure we’d be in the same place no matter the regulatory body or the regulations themselves.

The other 12 points is solely down to him not wanting to play with the toys he bought anymore. 

IIRC though, it was a few seasons back he was calling for a salary cap in the Championship but never set an example for others to follow at DCFC. Odd. 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Hey @Norman Why the laughing emoji’s? You can laugh but there will be the usual Mel apologists on here later defending him (again). ‘It was Sam Rush’s fault’, ‘he was just supporting his manager’, ‘he’s one of our own’, ‘duck the EFL’, ‘everything was ok till COVID’. It boils my piss that the same posters will post any old rubbish to support their agenda. Rant over.