Newcastle United takeover confirmed

oomarkwright

5 minutes ago, David said:

Let's be honest here, when we talk of fanbases we're going by what we see online mostly.

Not sure you can confidently saying Newcastle fans were unanimous in their demands which were beyond reasonable.

Quite possibly it was more divided than I know of but simply anecdotally I can't remember hearing a single positive thing about Ashley in the past few years from a couple of Newcastle supporting fans I'm on decent terms with and the clamour to see him go seemed pretty universal from what I could tell. Certainly, i don't think it was anywhere near as complex or divided as it was with Arsenal and wenger. 

Arsenal & Man Utd are bigger clubs than Newcastle anyway, not sure why they're being compared

Arsenal haven't been outside of the top division since 1919 and have won the league 13 times since Newcastle last won it (10 of those pre-PL) . If their fans are moaning about not challenging for the title that's quite a lot more valid. Of 117 seasons they've played only 13 seasons (11%) were at Level 2 with 9 of those pre-1904!

Man Utd 1have spent 19% of their history at level 2 with only 2 of their previous 78 seasons spent there, winning the league 18 times since Newcastle last won it (5 times pre-PL). Again there's far more reason why they could feel entitled.

Newcastle have spent 24% of their history at level 2 and haven't won the league since 1927. They're not in the same bracket.

If we make it more recent and look at what's happened since Derby last won the league, Newcastle have spent 12/46 seasons at level 2, Arsenal 0/46, Man Utd 0/46.

easyHotel in Newcastle by the way, avoid it. Looks great on the pics, book in advance and it's £25, basic bed and a roof, what more do you want?

Well, after leaving a very clean and modern reception you walk through a door to go up to the rooms, well, you know when you step off a plane in Spain and the heat hits you.

Step through this door and the smell of stale urine hits you, honestly looked and smelt like I had just walked into a multi story car park.

We go up the lift and the missus asks if it's a hostel, I had to question it myself at this point having passed some toothless locals with their piano keyboard smiles.

Into the room, hmm, it's not that bad I guess, least it doesn't smell of urine. Missus runs to toilet where I hear a huge crash, the toilet seat had fell off. Oh dear. I did get a laugh though.

I went to put my phone on charge in the single plug socket in the room, nothing, didn't work. Tried ringing both numbers on the website but didn't work. Great.

Opened the window as it was a tad warm, but up came the smell of the refuse bins below the window. 

Fair to say I was in trouble for the missus for not checking reviews which were shocking on Facebook, 10pm at night there was little we could do but stick the quilt over our heads and hope for the best.

7 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Arsenal & Man Utd are bigger clubs than Newcastle anyway, not sure why they're being compared

Arsenal haven't been outside of the top division since 1919 and have won the league 13 times since Newcastle last won it (10 of those pre-PL) . If their fans are moaning about not challenging for the title that's quite a lot more valid. Of 117 seasons they've played only 13 seasons (11%) were at Level 2 with 9 of those pre-1904!

Man Utd 1have spent 19% of their history at level 2 with only 2 of their previous 78 seasons spent there, winning the league 18 times since Newcastle last won it (5 times pre-PL). Again there's far more reason why they could feel entitled.

Newcastle have spent 24% of their history at level 2 and haven't won the league since 1927. They're not in the same bracket.

If we make it more recent and look at what's happened since Derby last won the league, Newcastle have spent 12/46 seasons at level 2, Arsenal 0/46, Man Utd 0/46.

Thanks to our deciding vote putting them there.  

They were a Division 2 side in 74/75 when we won it .  I think we should count that one.

11 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

I’d prefer you to take it from when we first won the league and put that relegation on Manure’s record ?

I feel sorry for Bruce, all these managers being asked about the job when he's not even been shown the door himself yet.

The media are desperate for anything to run the story X manager hasn't ruled himself out.

They really are vile the media, Bruce should take a dump in the media room coffee pot tomorrow.

I think he's had a chat with Staveley and he's said 'look, just let me do my 1000 managerial game and I will go quietly next week.' 

Hope he's given more of a chance but can't see him making the next transfer window. Depends who they have in mind and when they can get them. 

1 hour ago, David said:

I feel sorry for Bruce, all these managers being asked about the job when he's not even been shown the door himself yet.

The media are desperate for anything to run the story X manager hasn't ruled himself out.

They really are vile the media, Bruce should take a dump in the media room coffee pot tomorrow.

Typcial mainstream media. This is why I did not pursue journalism when I looked at going to uni years ago. No accountability for making incorrect news stories. They will add as much fuel as possible for clicks and shares, they'll never get criticised for their poor work. 

Granted, Bruce will receive a nice sum if he gets let go. No amount of money replaces negative pressure on your mental health. There's aiming constructive criticism and then there's become nasty and personal. No need for it.

56 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Typcial mainstream media. This is why I did not pursue journalism when I looked at going to uni years ago. No accountability for making incorrect news stories. They will add as much fuel as possible for clicks and shares, they'll never get criticised for their poor work. 

Granted, Bruce will receive a nice sum if he gets let go. No amount of money replaces negative pressure on your mental health. There's aiming constructive criticism and then there's become nasty and personal. No need for it.

The 8 million compensation would do a decent job at helping him I reckon. 

I was having this discussion with my brother the other day.

Newcastle may well be among the richest clubs in the world now, but who are they going to sign? I read how Mbappe and Kane are now in reach... No they're not. They've got no chance of signing them.

And you want to know why... Because unless you're a geordie, who will want to live in Newcastle.

Top players wiill have the choice of London, Manchester, Paris, Madrid, Munich, Turin, Milan, Rome, Barcelona etc. Why would they want to live in Newcastle over some of those fantastic cities.

Money wouldn't be an issue. Madrid will pay Mbappe like 500k a week anyway. Not even for a 20% premium would be consider Newcastle and FFP will restrict them.

And Newcastle don't have European football. It's going to take them ages to break into the top four as like I say, good players will be wanted by other clubs. Players like Declan Rice won't trade West Ham for Newcastle. Man Utd or Chelsea yeah. Not Newcastle.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

And you want to know why... Because unless you're a geordie, who will want to live in Newcastle.

Newcastle is a great city, I doubt for a second that will cross their minds.

As of now it's all talk, they are going to do this and that, first of all they need to appoint a manager that shows they mean business.

A manager is that can lure world class players to build the basis of a team to compete for titles and in Europe before even contemplating megastars such as Mbappe.

Even then is Mbappe motivated by money? I'm sure PSG could match any offer Real made, from the outside it looks like a move to fulfill a boyhood dream of playing for Real.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Newcastle is a great city, I doubt for a second that will cross their minds.

As of now it's all talk, they are going to do this and that, first of all they need to appoint a manager that shows they mean business.

A manager is that can lure world class players to build the basis of a team to compete for titles and in Europe before even contemplating megastars such as Mbappe.

Even then is Mbappe motivated by money? I'm sure PSG could match any offer Real made, from the outside it looks like a move to fulfill a boyhood dream of playing for Real.

Newcastle probably is a great city if you already live there, having been brought up there and have your friends there. But top players won’t choose the city of Newcastle over Munich, Paris, Barcelona etc. 

Roy Keane made the point when he was managing Sunderland. He said players just don’t want to go up there. I can’t remember who it was but he missed out on a signing with the player choosing Bolton instead on less money.

Newcastle will only be able to attract top players once they have reached CL level. I think their best bet is to do what Spurs did in 2008ish and try to find young players with big potential and accept they will likely be for now a stepping stone to the very top clubs.

Getting a top manager will help I agree. But even then they have to do it in stages. Because somebody like Antonio Conte Could easily wait around for a bigger job. And any manager who goes to Newcastle now must be aware they won’t be able to attract top players yet so it could be a struggle for the first few years.

Somebody like Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard could be a good option for them for now.

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Newcastle probably is a great city if you already live there, having been brought up there and have your friends there. But top players won’t choose the city of Newcastle over Munich, Paris, Barcelona etc. 

Roy Keane made the point when he was managing Sunderland. He said players just don’t want to go up there. I can’t remember who it was but he missed out on a signing with the player choosing Bolton instead on less money.

Newcastle will only be able to attract top players once they have reached CL level. I think their best bet is to do what Spurs did in 2008ish and try to find young players with big potential and accept they will likely be for now a stepping stone to the very top clubs.

Getting a top manager will help I agree. But even then they have to do it in stages. Because somebody like Antonio Conte Could easily wait around for a bigger job. And any manager who goes to Newcastle now must be aware they won’t be able to attract top players yet so it could be a struggle for the first few years.

Somebody like Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard could be a good option for them for now.

Sounds like an excuse from Roy Keane, players tend to live on the outskirts of cities anyway or even further away, Rooney travels a couple hours into Derby each day.

Don't forget the city has an airport, easy to fly home or wherever when injured or have time off.

Really don't see location being an issue.

Players would obviously choose Paris, Manchester and Munich over Newcastle right now, but that's as they have established top teams, not necessarily location.

Paris is a real dump and Germany the women sound like men.

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Newcastle may well be among the richest clubs in the world now, but who are they going to sign? I read how Mbappe and Kane are now in reach... No they're not. They've got no chance of signing them.

Top players wiill have the choice of London, Manchester, Paris, Madrid, Munich, Turin, Milan, Rome, Barcelona etc. Why would they want to live in Newcastle over some of those fantastic cities.

Money wouldn't be an issue. Madrid will pay Mbappe like 500k a week anyway. Not even for a 20% premium would be consider Newcastle and FFP will restrict them.

And Newcastle don't have European football. It's going to take them ages to break into the top four as like I say, good players will be wanted by other clubs. Players like Declan Rice won't trade West Ham for Newcastle. Man Utd or Chelsea yeah. Not Newcastle.

Man City struggled to sign the very top players to start with too.

Players like Elano and Corluka in that first season. An out of favour Robinho the next, along with Jo, Bellamy and Bridge. 

16 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think that the money will dictate, just look how many went to Anzhi Machacklaka or whatever they’re called, and then to China! 

even if only for the season! 

Edited by Mostyn6