Newcastle United takeover confirmed

oomarkwright

21 minutes ago, Andicis said:

At times that wasn't unrealistic or improbable! I think there is certainly a case to be made for Newcastle fans having delusions of grandeur. Us too, but to a lesser extent, I'd argue.  

I don't think it's unique to Newcastle, it's just football fans. Nobody wants the same Year on year, you want improvement to the stage where you can potentially win things.

Guardiola had to beg fans to show up, all they want now is the CL but group stage games you can hear a pin drop.

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

At times that wasn't unrealistic or improbable! I think there is certainly a case to be made for Newcastle fans having delusions of grandeur. Us too, but to a lesser extent, I'd argue.  

I'd go as far as saying Newcastle fans are some of the most deluded fans in the country.

They were decent for a few seasons in the 90's and have a big ground but haven't won a top flight title this side of WW2. Any idea that they have some sort of right to sit within the top tier of teams in this country is bonkers.

Now the option to sell the soul of the club to get a seat at the 'top table' has presented itself they've gone all in. Not sure I'd do the same if it were Derby to be honest. Some things are more important than football, at least in my opinion.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

10 minutes ago, David said:

I don't think it's unique to Newcastle, it's just football fans. Nobody wants the same Year on year, you want improvement to the stage where you can potentially win things.

Guardiola had to beg fans to show up, all they want now is the CL but group stage games you can hear a pin drop.

Ultimately though, did you really win anything fair and square if you're a Saudi toy? Is it really worth bragging rights financially blowing the rest of the teams out the water?

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Ultimately though, did you really win anything fair and square if you're a Saudi toy? Is it really worth bragging rights financially blowing the rest of the teams out the water?

What's fair these days in football? The richest win, been like that for a while now. 

No way PSG are playing by the rules, no way Barca, Real, Man City have but it's just accepted now.

Unless we have a huge reset and go down the draft route that's in American Football, nothing will ever be fair.

You do what you can to win. I have no problems with another joining the rich elite. My issues are with the authorities not playing fair and hoarding the cash whilst those outside the elite struggle to survive.

Whatever rules you put in place, loopholes will be found, so concentrate on distributing the wealth to give others a fighting chance.

26 minutes ago, David said:

What's fair these days in football? The richest win, been like that for a while now. 

No way PSG are playing by the rules, no way Barca, Real, Man City have but it's just accepted now.

Unless we have a huge reset and go down the draft route that's in American Football, nothing will ever be fair.

You do what you can to win. I have no problems with another joining the rich elite. My issues are with the authorities not playing fair and hoarding the cash whilst those outside the elite struggle to survive.

Whatever rules you put in place, loopholes will be found, so concentrate on distributing the wealth to give others a fighting chance.

Can't disagree with your point on a draft system. Would certainly make things fairer. Or just an outright cap on spending, not FFP, give all teams a budget of x amount that they cannot spend more than. 

To be fair, these Newcastle owners make the other owners look poor. They have enough money to blow the opposition out the water. 

2 hours ago, David said:

If we was Newcastle, there would be similar celebrations albeit on a smaller scale, let's not try and deny it.

When the Michael Dell, the fake Shiekh we're linked with buying us things, some were getting a little carried away.

Not in this house there wasn’t sir. 

2 hours ago, David said:

When Man City got promoted in 1999, you can clearly see their fans enjoying it a lot more than when they won the PL last season or even when they won the PL and FA Cup in 18/19. Just shows that happiness in football isn't just playing at the highest level.

and when they eventually win the Champions League, where do they go from there? it must be incredibly boring. I think some City fans are starting to not show up because deep down they know every win is vacuous and they can't enjoy it.

They try and start rivalries with Liverpool and Man Utd, but if you ask Liverpool and Man Utd fans what they think of Man City, they don't really seem to care (similar to when Leicester try and start rivalries with us and Forest). I actually think people are starting to just get bored of Man City in general. 

I wonder how many Man City fans, if they were being completely truthful, would say they get more out of being a fan now than they did before the money.

2 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

When Man City got promoted in 1999, you can clearly see their fans enjoying it a lot more than when they won the PL last season or even when they won the PL and FA Cup in 18/19. Just shows that happiness in football isn't just playing at the highest level.

and when they eventually win the Champions League, where do they go from there? it must be incredibly boring. I think some City fans are starting to not show up because deep down they know every win is vacuous and they can't enjoy it.

They try and start rivalries with Liverpool and Man Utd, but if you ask Liverpool and Man Utd fans what they think of Man City, they don't really seem to care (similar to when Leicester try and start rivalries with us and Forest). I actually think people are starting to just get bored of Man City in general. 

I wonder how many Man City fans, if they were being completely truthful, would say they get more out of being a fan now than they did before the money.

Some of the older ones will agree with you, same as many on here remember the 1980's promotions as great days. The younger fans, and the glory hunter type (lets be honest here, we've all got 'em) will just want to bask in the glory of winning.

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

While some may not enjoy it as much, I think Man City are pretty unique in that they have been in the shadows of United and Liverpool for years they must have some enjoyment being better than them now, especially thrashing United at Old Trafford.

It might be different if it was somebody like Aston Villa and now Newcastle. 

If they seriously pour cash into Newcastle, then they’re going to have to find a new rivalry as Boro and Sunderland just can’t reach that level without substantial investment themselves.

At least Man City have that extra motivation with their nearest rivals being among the biggest clubs in the world.

Chelsea probably had similar motivation to topple Arsenal.

5 hours ago, David said:

Not top, but Premier League.

Was definitely a thing on here when things were going well.

I still think that. A mid table premier league side with the occasional dalliance at Europe or a cup run seems pretty reasonable, with the occasional smattering of unlucky relegation and a return within 3-4 years should be about standard. Last time Newcastle won anything it was shown on sepia at the cinema before the new talkie.

14 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I still think that. A mid table premier league side with the occasional dalliance at Europe or a cup run seems pretty reasonable, with the occasional smattering of unlucky relegation and a return within 3-4 years should be about standard. Last time Newcastle won anything it was shown on sepia at the cinema before the new talkie.

I don't disagree, just think that when your club is in the situation of going backwards, it's manager out, board out.

Man United fans have suddenly gone quiet.

21 hours ago, David said:

Having delusions of grandeur is not unique to Newcastle but they're one of the worst fanbases for demanding results. There's absolutely nothing outside of the number of fans they've had in the last 20 years to suggest they should be doing anything more than they are.  The overdramatic, whiny ' woe is me' campaign against Ashley and anything he did was about as self entitled and narcissistic as I can imagine from a fan base. Now they've got what they want, a big money move that will catapult them into the top echelons of the division but of course it's not the glory it's just they want a club that 'tries'... apparently a 125 million pound net spend over the past 5 years wasn't trying. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

Having delusions of grandeur is not unique to Newcastle but they're one of the worst fanbases for demanding results. There's absolutely nothing outside of the number of fans they've had in the last 20 years to suggest they should be doing anything more than they are.  The overdramatic, whiny ' woe is me' campaign against Ashley and anything he did was about as self entitled and narcissistic as I can imagine from a fan base. Now they've got what they want, a big money move that will catapult them into the top echelons of the division but of course it's not the glory it's just they want a club that 'tries'... apparently a 125 million pound net spend over the past 5 years wasn't trying. 

In the last 20 years they've finished 3rd, 4th and 5th twice in the Premier League.

They might not have won anything, but they've been right up there, to see their club drop down the leagues.

Having finished 12th last year, only signing a loan signing and going backwards again, I think it's fair that they have been disappointed.

2 hours ago, David said:

In the last 20 years they've finished 3rd, 4th and 5th twice in the Premier League.

They might not have won anything, but they've been right up there, to see their club drop down the leagues.

Having finished 12th last year, only signing a loan signing and going backwards again, I think it's fair that they have been disappointed.

They've had 11 top 10 finishes in the past 60 years and 7 of them have been in the past 20. They had a good run in the 90's when the playing field levelled out and they had a top manager but those days have been gone since 2003, 4 years before the dreaded Ashley takeover. They've had 2 relegations that have led to them bouncing straight back up and let's be honest Newcastle are no strangers to the second division either. They've had a higher net spend than Leicester in the last 5 years according to one source that I've seen  and spent 65 million in 2019/2020  so it's not like Ashley has completely turned the money pump off. 

I just don't really have much time for a fan base constantly moaning how badly they've had it when they've been largely in the premier league, had 2 stints in the second division where they've blasted the league and had a net spend of 125 million pounds which puts them slap bang in the middle of the division they're competing in. 

9 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

They've had 11 top 10 finishes in the past 60 years and 7 of them have been in the past 20. They had a good run in the 90's when the playing field levelled out and they had a top manager but those days have been gone since 2003, 4 years before the dreaded Ashley takeover. They've had 2 relegations that have led to them bouncing straight back up and let's be honest Newcastle are no strangers to the second division either. They've had a higher net spend than Leicester in the last 5 years according to one source that I've seen  and spent 65 million in 2019/2020  so it's not like Ashley has completely turned the money pump off. 

I just don't really have much time for a fan base constantly moaning how badly they've had it when they've been largely in the premier league, had 2 stints in the second division where they've blasted the league and had a net spend of 125 million pounds which puts them slap bang in the middle of the division they're competing in. 

I still don't see them as being worthy of any special attention for their demands.

Arsenal and their demands for Wenger to leave and now board, they are on the next level when it comes to demands.

Even then I have some sympathy with them, not easy winning the league, then watching other clubs race past them. 

1 minute ago, David said:

I still don't see them as being worthy of any special attention for their demands.

Arsenal and their demands for Wenger to leave and now board, they are on the next level when it comes to demands.

Even then I have some sympathy with them, not easy winning the league, then watching other clubs race past them. 

I mean from knowing a few arsenal fans the majority from what i gather tend to think the one's clamouring for Arsene to go were absolutely embarrassing and needed to pipe down. That makes it slightly different from the almost unanimous feeling amongst the Newcastle fanbase that Ashley was a penny pinching devil 'killing' the club. 

I agree with you about the board though their reaction has been embarrassing, ditto with the man utd fans raging against their ownership until they bought ronaldo etc. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

I mean from knowing a few arsenal fans the majority from what i gather tend to think the one's clamouring for Arsene to go were absolutely embarrassing and needed to pipe down. That makes it slightly different from the almost unanimous feeling amongst the Newcastle fanbase that Ashley was a penny pinching devil 'killing' the club. 

I agree with you about the board though their reaction has been embarrassing, ditto with the man utd fans raging against their ownership until they bought ronaldo etc. 

Let's be honest here, when we talk of fanbases we're going by what we see online mostly.

Not sure you can confidently saying Newcastle fans were unanimous in their demands which were beyond reasonable.