Newcastle United takeover confirmed

oomarkwright

2 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Richest club in the world spending very wisely. It's like having a limitless credit card going to shopping for Ferraris, Lambos, Rolls Royces and rocking up back home in a Lada

The salesman said Chris Wood was a luxury vehicle, he said it had probably even more prestige than an Aston Martin these days. It's also got magic beans in the glove box.

1 hour ago, JfR said:

Smart. Why sign the players that your team needs to avoid relegation when you can instead sign the players from your rivals that they need to avoid relegation?

In an ideal world both Newcastle and Burnely will get relegated. The former for their deluded fans and Saudis owner the latter for being Burnley

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The salesman said Chris Wood was a luxury vehicle, he said it had probably even more prestige than an Aston Martin these days. It's also got magic beans in the glove box.

Mind you these days you see more Aston Martins than Ladas, you could be onto something....

Then again, May be not.

24 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am not sure signing Wood helps or hinders Newcastle 

Why would it hinder them?

£20m is more than he's worth (although for a Premier League club it's really not a lot of money) but there's not really anything wrong with his record:

17/18 - 24 PL appearances, 10 goals
18/19 - 38 PL appearances, 10 goals
19/20 - 32 PL appearances, 14 goals
20/21 - 33 PL appearances, 12 goals

...and that's playing for Burnley who are hardly the most expansive team and don't really create that many chances for their forwards.

Also the last time he played in the Championship he got 27 goals (30 including cups) so if (when) they do get relegated they're already well on their way to buying themselves back up and blitzing this league again.

4 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Why would it hinder them?

£20m is more than he's worth (although for a Premier League club it's really not a lot of money) but there's not really anything wrong with his record:

17/18 - 24 PL appearances, 10 goals
18/19 - 38 PL appearances, 10 goals
19/20 - 32 PL appearances, 14 goals
20/21 - 33 PL appearances, 12 goals

...and that's playing for Burnley who are hardly the most expansive team and don't really create that many chances for their forwards.

Also the last time he played in the Championship he got 27 goals (30 including cups) so if (when) they do get relegated they're already well on their way to buying themselves back up and blitzing this league again.

To counter your point we signed Derek Hales ! 

13 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

This is like when we finally came into some money during Mels first season, and we decided to buy Nick Blackman

Man City's firs season splashing the cash wasn't too dissimilar. Corluka, Bianchi, Elano and Bojinov for £40m, then Jo, Bellamy, Bridge, Wright-Phillips and Given for £50m the season after

Taking a key player off a direct rival for a price they probably wouldn't have otherwise sold for, I think there's some logic to the purchase.

If they stay up at Burnley's expense, they won't care. Even if he doesn't score that many for Newcastle, the weakening of Burnley is probably worth around that to them anyway.

15 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Taking a key player off a direct rival for a price they probably wouldn't have otherwise sold for, I think there's some logic to the purchase.

If they stay up at Burnley's expense, they won't care. Even if he doesn't score that many for Newcastle, the weakening of Burnley is probably worth around that to them anyway.

Unless it allows Burnley to buy someone they couldn't afford before?

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Unless it allows Burnley to buy someone they couldn't afford before?

They can, but it's a gamble isn't it. Chris Wood hasn't scored many this season, but in his previous 4 full seasons for Burnley in the PL he's hit double figures every year. For a side like Burnley that's quite a good achievement in my opinion.

Burnley don't really strike me as a team that manages to find obscure bargains, and for £20m in the middle of a season, you're not really going to get anyone proven for the price they got for Wood. Wood was sold because it was his release clause, if Newcastle United and all their money made the same bid without the clause, I doubt Burnley would sell.

I don't know if Wood will score the goals Newcastle need to get out of trouble, but if it helps push another side towards filling one of the three places, then I think it's a smart move.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

They can, but it's a gamble isn't it. Chris Wood hasn't scored many this season, but in his previous 4 full seasons for Burnley in the PL he's hit double figures every year. For a side like Burnley that's quite a good achievement in my opinion.

Burnley don't really strike me as a team that manages to find obscure bargains, and for £20m in the middle of a season, you're not really going to get anyone proven for the price they got for Wood. Wood was sold because it was his release clause, if Newcastle United and all their money made the same bid without the clause, I doubt Burnley would sell.

I don't know if Wood will score the goals Newcastle need to get out of trouble, but if it helps push another side towards filling one of the three places, then I think it's a smart move.

If I remember rightly he's one of those players who gets 7 or 8 in his first 5 games for a team, then none for about 3 months .  Suppose they'd take 7 or 8 in 5 games at the minute.

• 1 month later...