Panic buying

Gritstone Ram

50 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, the fuel crisis wasn’t caused by the HGV driver shortage, there wasn’t actually a fuel shortage to begin with. Now that the sheeple have drained the fuel, it won’t be restocked due to the actual HGV driver shortage, leading to a real shortage.

I agree totally. Look at what I said again. Never mentioned a fuel shortage. It's all about drivers.

Just now, Gritstone Ram said:

At what point does the non panic buyers become panic buyers after they see all the fuel going?

No doubt everybody that has been to the pumps over the last few days will be able to justify it in some way, shape or from.

I remember going to Aldi to do the routine Sunday shop last year just before the first lockdown, got there and had to queue up, the line ended up being so big it went around the building, to the back of the car park. Someone decided to take a picture (which I was smack bang in the middle of) which ended up on spotted swad. Was reading the comments on the way home saying how we were all pathetic, blah, blah, blah. Reality is if just not been shopping for a week and needed some food ?.

Ive got a quarter of a tank left, delaying going to the pumps as long as possible out of pure principle.

9 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

No doubt everybody that has been to the pumps over the last few days will be able to justify it in some way, shape or from.

I remember going to Aldi to do the routine Sunday shop last year just before the first lockdown, got there and had to queue up, the line ended up being so big it went around the building, to the back of the car park. Someone decided to take a picture (which I was smack bang in the middle of) which ended up on spotted swad. Was reading the comments on the way home saying how we were all pathetic, blah, blah, blah. Reality is if just not been shopping for a week and needed some food ?.

Ive got a quarter of a tank left, delaying going to the pumps as long as possible out of pure principle.

With the match on Wednesday I was starting to sweat a bit. I saw a tanker at Sainsburys at dinner and popped in after work and filled up. Not exactly a big panic but feel better now I know I can get to the match.

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

My delivery driver yesterday said he'd seen a video of someone filling a plastic bag and putting it into their car boot. Apocryphal I'm sure but it wouldn't surprise me it was true! ?

Some people are insane.

I've just (8:45 pm) taken my wife's car as it was very low. ASDA in Tamworth: No queue whatsoever (in fact there were three pumps vacant). Drivers are limited to £30 max but her car doesn't hold much more.

6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I've got to drive to Birmingham NEC tomorrow and Thursday for an exhibition (160 mile round trip). I'll be fine for tomorrow but will need some fuel before Thursday, so I'm hoping some degree of sanity has resumed by Wednesday night.

Apparently motoway services are OK, so I should be able to get some, even if it will cost me a kidney at their prices!

For me it's the media and the public that share the blame. Those sodding "Breaking news" banners and clickbait headlines. No excuse for the selfish bar stewards who have been filling up their cars when they wouldn't normally have done so.

Re the motorway services part.

I drove from Somerset to Kettering on Sunday. I pass 7 services on the M5, M42, and M6.  Bear in mind their petrol stations are usually quiet due to the silly prices. Two of them had no fuel. Two of them only had diesel. There were also signs on the M6 warning that Watford gap on the M1 had no fuel. 

Just like the toilet paper incident, people being ridiculous and selfish yet again. I've had to make alternative arrangements this week for my partner who's a front line health worker in the local community. We don't want to let her patients down. Fingers crossed normality will resume within a week. The government and media communications need to be reviewed because the language they put out has caused this mass panic.

40 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

With the match on Wednesday I was starting to sweat a bit. I saw a tanker at Sainsburys at dinner and popped in after work and filled up. Not exactly a big panic but feel better now I know I can get to the match.

Doctors can’t get to hospitals, but you can get to the match, so that’s something at least. 

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I’m a former HGV driver with 30 year’s experience, no accidents and clean licence. Enjoyed my job but after having a stent put in, in 2009, the hoops the DVLA made me jump through to keep my licence coupled with having to renew my CPC licence (a tax basically, a nonsense piece of legislation that amongst other things proved I knew how to get in and out of my lorry ?) I called it day.

I’m sure I’m not the only one to have left the industry due to the nonsense drivers have to contend with these days. They’ve taken the pleasure out of the job in my opinion, mind you, it was on a slippery slope since cab phones were introduced in the late 80’s, early 90’s. 

I used to have a class 2 license, loved driving but no money in it.. That was before speed cameras though. I would not do it now, especially not HGV.

11 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I used to have a class 2 license, loved driving but no money in it.. That was before speed cameras though. I would not do it now, especially not HGV.

I bet you particularly used to love pulling out into the middle lane to spend 15 minutes overtaking a 1/4 mile long lorry cos you're doing 2mph more than him.......?

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

"Almost" the most annoying thing about that video is the fact they deliberately avoided showing the reg plate.

Should have zoomed in and shown it as clear as day!   

A) I thought it was illegal to dispense petrol into a container other than a 5l plastic can, or a proper metal Jerry can?

B) Quite a tidy arse mind, so I'd let her off.

I filled up before the panic-buying was a thing, and luckily don't use too much in the working week so would usually be fine, but... I'm driving to Derby on Friday for the Swansea game, and then back Sunday. I should be fine to get me there, but will definitely need to fill up before leaving again.

Hopefully things calm down before then, if not I might end up having to spend £80+ on a return train ticket just to remove that hassle/uncertainty.

7 hours ago, maxjam said:

Should have bought a bag for life ?

Now that may have been a video from the US but I just saw this on youtube from The Independent ? 

She is the reason why I cba to queue up for fuel and when I eventually have to there will be none left.

I'm pretty certain a packet of Silk Cut and a Bacardi Breezer will get you a bag for life.

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Turns out the two things British people are most afraid of are

1) Not having fuel in their car

2) Not being able to wipe their bums

In the absence of bogroll, a cup of petrol splashed over your bum cheeks and a quick spark from a swan vesta will do the trick. Perhaps we can encourage the morons to go in the direction of napalm enemas.