The best signing we've made during Mel's tenure?

Rev

20 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

There's a few we got good value out of without ever being amazing, Andi Weimann for example, of Darren Bent on a loan then free (granted his wages probably weren't good value)

Realistically though, it's got to be Ince. And ol' Snakie insisted on selling him to get captain Tom in.

Then signed him for Stoke.  To be fair, I recall that Tom and daddy Paul were sniffing out that move as as soon as it became a possibility, -worked out well.

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Tom Ince - and it's not close.

Matej Vydra turned out ok in the end, but his first season was very poor. Bradley Johnson was a poor signing, in my opinion, and we've made a long ol list of them! 

I know this is a hill you will die on, and I do respect your opinion, but I always thought we were a lesser team with Ince as part of it. Yes his stats were good, but something never quite gelled with the him and the style of play. 

But the pickings are really, really poor. For those who are wondering, there's a list here (with Morris taking fill control in September 2015 if Wikipedia is to be believed): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/Derby-county/alletransfers/verein/22

If loans count as transfers the best was Fikayo Tomori. If it's permanent transfers only, I'm a bit stumped. Probably Curtis Davies, or maybe Duane Holmes.

42 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I know this is a hill you will die on, and I do respect your opinion, but I always thought we were a lesser team with Ince as part of it. Yes his stats were good, but something never quite gelled with the him and the style of play. 

But the pickings are really, really poor. For those who are wondering, there's a list here (with Morris taking fill control in September 2015 if Wikipedia is to be believed): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/Derby-county/alletransfers/verein/22

If loans count as transfers the best was Fikayo Tomori. If it's permanent transfers only, I'm a bit stumped. Probably Curtis Davies, or maybe Duane Holmes.

Duane Holmes… ha ha brilliant. 
I tell you the worst… Tom Lawrence. 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Great wages too. 

Rowett signing Wisdom, Davies, Ledley, Huddlestone, Lawrence and Jerome all on over £30k per week saw our wage bill balloon up to £40m.

I guess it really depends on what we define as the best signing.

Matej Vydra is the best player we have signed. Tom Ince statistically contributed the most and we made the biggest profit on him.

Davies has definitely been an excellent servant though.

Where do you get this information from?

Morris is culpable, this argument with the EFL, of whom I am no fan, is destroying us. Even if we managed somehow to extricate ourselves from the charges, we are doomed in our current state (embargo).

But no matter how much I'd like to, Mel cannot be blamed for the reckless challenges & sheer bad luck that have wrecked the two best all round midfielders we have had during his tenure, George Thorne and Bielik  (11 games back in, our record with him in the side win ratio). Both multi-million pound signings but showing value justifying this outlay. 

Thorne & Hughes rarely played alongside each other due to one getting injured just as the other was returning from a long lay off. They complemented each other in midfield. Bad luck, bad timing.

I am looking at players who could have made a real difference. We've had a few under Morris who contributed (Vydra), but it also shows that the team was not the sum of its parts. There has always been something lacking, a genuine team cohesiveness, illustrated by how we have never really challenged for the top two. 

But the two midfielders named above made impacts, Bielik transforming the dynamic of the side. Not only skillful individuals but team players.

Edited by Asanovic70

12 hours ago, Rev said:

As simple as the the title says, who is the best player we've signed under Mel's tenure.

My lad reckons it's Badly Johnson, but surely there's a more deserving candidate out there?

Is he for real??? He does know he was called badly not cos he was nasty right? 

6m quids worth and god knows what wages on total averageness

Carson was cheap and immense for three seasons, Ledley was immense for half a season and free, Davies has been a good servant and now I’m struggling. 

Pearce and Baird had their moments. 

Mel’s money allowed us to make Ince permanent but we already had him on loan for half a season. 

15 hours ago, Rev said:

As simple as the the title says, who is the best player we've signed under Mel's tenure.

My lad reckons it's Badly Johnson, but surely there's a more deserving candidate out there?

Your lad makes an interesting choice. I really liked johnson exactly the sort of player you need in this division, sadly he was very much overpriced.

He also didn’t pass the fans test, they didn’t approve of his technical limitations despite his other valuable attributes so he was dismissed as just being poo!