Stories of being in the ‘Home’ End

GangwayD

Getting tickets in the past was never always straightforward which has meant I’ve been in the wrong end. (Not like that if that’s what your thinking !)

I’ve been away with England and finished up in the Home End a few times, sometimes alone but also with others. It’s normally met with odd looks when you belt out the anthem but on the whole been okay. It’s 20 years since the 5-1 in Berlin and I  know a few who went in the German end that night. 

I’ve also done it a few times with Derby (Luton away springs to mind and sat with Cardiff and Wimbledon at Pride Park, plus started the last ever game at the BBG in with the Arsenal fans before being moved to the paddocks after Ashley Wards early goal was celebrated - they we’re not happy) 

Have you ever been away (or at Home) with Derby in the wrong end and did you get rumbled. 

Would be great to hear some stories to pass the day.

Gangway D from the terrace

First away game as a kid went with my Dads mate who got me a ticket for Derby v Forest at their place. Unfortunately had to go in the Forest part as he was a red! Kept quiet until Forest missed a penalty and cheered...got some funny looks from big blokes looking around to see who was cheering and seeing a kid! Finished 1-1. How we got a draw from that game I will never know.

Edited by TimRam

Hartlepool FA cup on a pitch that was worse than the BBG, A good few of us went in the Hartlepool end 50+, Not a lot to show...until 20mins before K Off, Middlesboro came in known as the "Frontline" we didn't know at the time, More and more came in, Vastly out numbered, Backs to the wall stuff, Rescued by OB, Quite a buzz tho... We were holed up at a place called Seaton Carew wow what a tip, Went in their local, Full of old men all huddled around the TV/Video, We asked the landlord what's with all them old boys, Dirty beggers they are...all come in the watch Baywatch that I tape for them, They're not allowed to watch at home?

Been in the home end at Leeds when Sir Jake got the winner a few minutes from the end , 2013 i think , just about managed to stay sitting on my hands and keeping my mouth shut , but when Jake scored myself and 2 mates completely lost it , we were taken out by stewards in the nick of time , didnt realise Leeds hated us that much hahahaha

Was in Arsenal's North Bank with an Arsenal season ticket holder mate of mine when we drew 2 -2 and Sturridge scored a screamer. When he scored i shot up from my seat but held in my scream. Mate told me to sit down as I was getting scowls from the natives. As i did not have any 'colours on' they must have thought I was annoyed with Derby scoring. Rest of match had a stupid grin on my face. Brilliant times!?

I only read this thread for the signature at the end ?

Anyway, in the Billy promotion season, got tickets for Leicester away (1-1?) in the home stand. Think it was a sponsors ticket. Thinking maybe Bookers cash and carry. Anyway, the highlight was getting off the train and passing through the police cordon holding back fellow Rams fans by showing a home ticket ?

Mostyn6 (now) from Staffordshire 

Late 70s/early 80s height of the violence. Was in the Trent End, not far from Paul Scarrott, when one of my "friends" shouted "Derby fan" and pointed at me. I think the laughter of my friend and others in our group made the Forest fans believe it was a joke. Thankfully.

Got more threat of the violence in a poorly populated away end at Birmingham, again in the 80s, where there were more home fans than away.

Generally though, nowadays, when I have sat with home team supporting friends, it's been in stands where folks just have a friendly joke with you.

One last story.... I was once at Middlesbrough, with my wife who had been working up there, so we took in the Cup game between Boro and Hednesford Town. Boro with Ravenneli, Juninho etc. The minnows scored first, much to our surprise and delight. Boro went on to scrape through 3-2. The locals came up to us in the stand afterwards and congratulated us on an excellent performance. We didn't bother saying we were neutrals.

Edited by IslandExile

As I mentioned on another thread, been in the home end loads of times and even in the away end at the BBG a few times.

The one that stands out was Millwall at the Old Den. Big terracing on three sides. I am crap with dates but it would have been around the time I gat married, 87ish maybe 86. We won 1-0, I remember that much.

Millwall, more so then, was a dodge place to go. Went with a mate who was Spurs and we ended up around the halfway line in with the home fans. Anyway, as with most London grounds, as soon as I opened my gob nobody really gave a damn. Just another cockney really. Anyway we score and I blow my cover. Expected to get absolutely mullered but got exactly the opposite. Top people, had the micky taken out of me but nothing more. Never to this day have I had any problems at Millwall, even the Play Off semi. We Londerners must look after ourselves. 

Went to the BBG on many occasions with the visiting London team. Went on the QPR supporters train once and ended up with them all afternoon. 3-3 I think it was, late goals. No problems then either.

BITD, my mates were all Spurs and we used to mix up where we went. Derby one week, Spurs then next. The lad I used to go to Spurs was, was a proper nutcase. Ended up in jail but that's another story. They played Palace once at the Lane and he always went in with the away supporters in the Park Lane. Would always end up in some sort of mix up.. Game over, we leave the ground and we are clocked by a load of Spurs as we leave the Park Lane.. Chewy (as we used to call him, was a unit), anyway the Spurs lot assume we are Palace (I hate Palace, Chewy was more Spurs than anyone I know) and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose down the High Road. 4 of us ended up through a butchers window, broken glass everywhere. Lucky as that we did not get decapitated. 

So good and bad experiences. Be respectful and even at the most intimidating of places and you have no problem.  

10 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Late 70s/early 80s height of the violence. Was in the Trent End, not far from Paul Scarrott, when one of my "friends" shouted "Derby fan" and pointed at me. I think the laughter of my friend and others in our group made the Forest fans believe it was a joke. Thankfully.

Got more threat of the violence in a poorly populated away end at Birmingham, again in the 80s, where there were more home fans than away.

Generally though, nowadays, when I have sat with home team supporting friends, it's been in stands where folks just have a friendly joke with you.

One last story.... I was once at Middlesbrough, with my wife who had been working up there, so we took in the Cup game between Boro and Hednesford Town. Boro with Ravenneli, Juninho etc. The minnows scored first, much to our surprise and delight. Boro went on to scrape through 3-2. The locals came up to us in the stand afterwards and congratulated us on an excellent performance. We didn't bother saying we were neutrals.

Took a slap off BC for running on the pitch with face paint on at the City ground, Someone dared him to go in the Buck in the Park boozer in town, He did, But wished he hadn't, Took a good hiding, Died in Barcalona of a drug overdose I believe

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've really never understood why people go in the home end when they can't get a ticket in the away end.

I'd rather be listening at home on Radio Derby than have to stay mute when we score.

Is that because you are prone to reacting to your urges, and have no self control?  ?

6 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Took a slap off BC for running on the pitch with face paint on at the City ground, Someone dared him to go in the Buck in the Park boozer in town, He did, But wished he hadn't, Took a good hiding, Died in Barcalona of a drug overdose I believe

I have said on here previously, I remember him for being thrown out of the BBG three times at a testimonial (Zak's?) - each time being led away and then carried by more and more stewards and police.

In court, his barrister appealed saying "my client accepts that he should not have returned but he felt hard done by".

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Hartlepool FA cup on a pitch that was worse than the BBG, A good few of us went in the Hartlepool end 50+, Not a lot to show...until 20mins before K Off, Middlesboro came in known as the "Frontline" we didn't know at the time, More and more came in, Vastly out numbered, Backs to the wall stuff, Rescued by OB, Quite a buzz tho... We were holed up at a place called Seaton Carew wow what a tip, Went in their local, Full of old men all huddled around the TV/Video, We asked the landlord what's with all them old boys, Dirty beggers they are...all come in the watch Baywatch that I tape for them, They're not allowed to watch at home?

You were rescued by @Owen87ITK? Good on him, what a top bloke. Doesn't look the sort of chap who would like scrapping when you see him on Ramstv though. ?

I used to travel from Birmingham on my own to home and away games. I used to go in the home stands at away games, to avoid been clocked as a Derby fan leaving the away enclosure at the end of the match, on my own.

One of my memories goes back to the dark days of Tommy Docherty and our first away win of the season at a midweek match at Wolves. A proper evil place where you had to use underpasses to get to the ground in those days.

I went in the ground just behind the dugouts and saw a group of Derby lads that I'd come across at other games. Whilst the game went on, I noticed that we'd attracted the attention of a large group of locals. Anyway I suggested to the other lads that with a couple of minutes to go, when Wolves were on the attack, that we should scarper.

I never stopped running until I got back to where I'd parked my car, unfortunately, one of the Derby lads had followed me, instead ofgoing back to the coach with his mates. I said that I didn't know where the coach park was, so I gave him a lift to Birmingham New Street train station, to get back to Derby.

About a month later I saw these lads again and they told me that when they realised that they'd lost him, they went back to the ground and got caught up in a bit of aggro, the coach waited until it could wait no longer and returned to Derby. The lads went round to his parents' house in the early hours to say that they'd lost him, only for his mother to tell them that he'd been home for some time and had gone to bed.

Last time I saw them, they told me that the lad had suffered a brain hemorrhage whilst on the 'Popside' at a game. I never did get find out, if he recovered.

Not a proper wrong "End" story but Preston North End...

About 6 of us were on a train to Preston to see a student mate after Accrington v Burton, chatting with a few fans who'd been at the game.  Turned out to be Forest, a few of which lived in Burton. Despite this terrible combination they all seem decent enough.

As we get into Preston, half of Forest's away support are there.

We wait a couple of minutes outside the station as my mate gets cash from the ATM. Anyway, Derby who are playing in a late kick off score. Our fist pumps and "Get in's" are badly timed and someone shouts "Derby" or "You Rams"...

There's a bit of a ruckus as Forest moron number 1, emerging from the off licence, who moments earlier had been chatting with us on the train, drops an entire crate of freshly purchased Strongbow, crosses the road, and knocks my mate to the floor, Forest morons 2 - 6 soon follow and it looks like it could get a bit tasty.

At this point half of Preston, having seen what must look like Forest attacking locals, barrel out of their pub opposite, and proceed to run them up and down the street.

Karma's a bitch.

Was on front row of home end Bournemouth v Derby. Sis in laws brother got us tickets at their place but was in with Bournemouth lot. No problems but it was strange (reluctantly) getting up with them as they scored. Then staying seated and mute (although discreetly nudging brother!) as we scored. Finished 2-2.

I was in the Brian Clough Stand for the 10 men match. I could feel the confidence draining out of the Forest fans as the game went on and ended up having a "aren't we crap" with the random Forest fan sitting next to me.

I was also in with the Reading fans at Robbie Savage's last game. I'd been a couple of times before with my friend and several people recognised me and pretended to get me kicked out. 

6 hours ago, GangwayD said:

Getting tickets in the past was never always straightforward which has meant I’ve been in the wrong end. (Not like that if that’s what your thinking !)

I’ve been away with England and finished up in the Home End a few times, sometimes alone but also with others. It’s normally met with odd looks when you belt out the anthem but on the whole been okay. It’s 20 years since the 5-1 in Berlin and I  know a few who went in the German end that night. 

I’ve also done it a few times with Derby (Luton away springs to mind and sat with Cardiff and Wimbledon at Pride Park, plus started the last ever game at the BBG in with the Arsenal fans before being moved to the paddocks after Ashley Wards early goal was celebrated - they we’re not happy) 

Have you ever been away (or at Home) with Derby in the wrong end and did you get rumbled. 

Would be great to hear some stories to pass the day.

Gangway D from the terrace

It was Munich not Berlin...and we went in the home end that night.

It had been going off in town all day before the game, we saw loads of gangs of German and English just wandering around smashing the place up, it was a really moody atmosphere and because we had tickets in the home end we almost leave out hotel to go to the game....glad we did..

We decided no one would notice us, sat there in the middle of their main end, didn't say a word to anyone, we were totally undercover, then when Yanker scored for them the row in front of us all turned around and screamed "F you England" "ha you English pigs" etc etc, seems like we hadn't been as "undercover" as we thought.... anyway as the game went on and we equalized we managed to sit on our hands, then when the second one went in we lost it....the locals were fine with us, same for the 3rd, the 4th...but by the time the 5th went in they were getting mightily annoyed, so we went and stood with a group of 10 Milwall fans who were also in there, safety in numbers....

Walking back to the hotel.... that was like the wild west...

Saturday, 31st March 1990

My wife and I were staying with her sister & brother-in-law, Tony, down in sunny Surrey. He was a massive Chelsea fan and an even bigger idiot with it because he was one of the 'barrow-boys' working in the city, with "loads-a-money". (I can say that now because he's the ex-brother-in-law)

He got me a ticket, not for the Shed End, but in one of the stands, which were all home supporters. 

However, we went into a pub across the road from Stamford Bridge before the game, full of Chelsea fans, who I can only describe as absolute nut cases. We were with about half-dozen of Tony's friends, when he calls out, "My brother-in-law here is a Derby fan"!!!!! duck me, what do I do - do I run for the door, curl up in a ball and take the kicking, or just stand there pleading and disowning the club I love?

I must have looked scared-s**l*ss, because they must have felt sorry for me, and started laughing at me, chanting and shouting what they were going to the Derby fans and how Chelsea were going to wipe the ass with us.

Anyway, back to the match, I kept quiet for most of the game, and Derby equalised with about 10 minutes to the end (it was Mick Harford, because I looked it up), and I jumped up shouting out 'Come on you Rams'., which brought me to the attention of some of the home supporters, which, not quite the Shed End mob, but big, and thick enough, to have a go at me for being in their stand. Next minute two policemen, who were in the gangway, rushed up to me and told me to "shut-the-f***-up", otherwise, not to throw me out, or arerst me, but, "we'll let the mob on to you". Bloody charming.

Anyway, I shut-up, saw out the game, which ended 1-1, and departed as quick as I could, followed by the brother-in-law, who quite rightly, thought I was a coward, as he said, nothing would have happened. I didn't stay to find out as we headed for the Tube.

Another thing I found when looking for the game, the attendance was only 14,263 for a Division 1 game - this was 'BTP' (Before The Premier), which as we moan about our current attendance, was pretty pathetic.