Hull City vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

5 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I read this type of criticism often about Bird & I wonder what I'm seeing so differently. The modern game rewards players that don't go to ground when defending. This is exactly what Max is so good at...his positioning & sense of 'danger' is very good which means he often tracks the runner & either intercepts the ball or eases the runner off the ball.

I rate Bird's defensive work higher than Shinnie, who is old school, goes to ground but gets more plaudits from our fans because he's high energy & they equate that with 'passion'. Unfortunately the reason for that is because he's often drifting out of position & slow to react to danger so his only option is to do 'last ditch'.

He’s not at the same level as Huddlestone yet but his ability to read danger for someone so young is excellent. It often goes unseen and is underrated. Huddlestone was second to none at this, lost count of number of times he was in position to stop a counter attack on the edge of his own box, it was like he had a magnet. 

Shinnie makes the tackles but he’s quite rash at times and gets out of position regularly. I think Shinnie is better when he’s pressing the opposition back and winning the ball in the opposition half.

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He’s not at the same level as Huddlestone yet but his ability to read danger for someone so young is excellent. It often goes unseen and is underrated. Huddlestone was second to none at this, lost count of number of times he was in position to stop a counter attack on the edge of his own box, it was like he had a magnet. 

Really? Where was he for both their goals, out of interest.

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Shinnie makes the tackles but he’s quite rash at times and gets out of position regularly. I think Shinnie is better when he’s pressing the opposition back and winning the ball in the opposition half.

Good comparison. Both intelligent & languid players also (which doesn't endear them to some of our fanbase)

Like you say, Shinnie is good when pressing high as a box to box midfielder in games where we don't see much of the ball. For that exact reason he was a crucial part of the home victories we picked up between November & January against top 6 sides but looked ineffective against bottom half teams. We do seem to be moving to a style now where we want to dominate the ball more so I'm struggling to see what Shinnie is currently bringing to the starting XI.

8 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I read this type of criticism often about Bird & I wonder what I'm seeing so differently. The modern game rewards players that don't go to ground when defending. This is exactly what Max is so good at...his positioning & sense of 'danger' is very good which means he often tracks the runner & either intercepts the ball or eases the runner off the ball.

I rate Bird's defensive work higher than Shinnie, who is old school, goes to ground but gets more plaudits from our fans because he's high energy & they equate that with 'passion'. Unfortunately the reason for that is because he's often drifting out of position & slow to react to danger so his only option is to do 'last ditch'.

You don't need to go to ground to defend I agree (I don't think shinnie even does that too often anyway) but Bird lacks strength and tackling ability which is a big problem if he is the main cdm. I don't think his awareness is that great either, more that he's good at popping the ball off under pressure from what I've seen which is a skill just not one that I'm targeting in my criticism of him. I might be wrong but I don't think Bird is great at tracking runners or intercepting the ball, although I'd be happy to be proved otherwise as I might just be wrong about that. Again against Huddersfield and Peterborough this was a consistent issue when he was on the field. 

I'm not sure if Shinnie is so great but he possesses the strength and screening that are necessary in a midfield 2 that I think Bird lacks. Bird and Morrison I think would struggle as a 2 as I feel they'd get dominated as soon as we lost the ball and were under pressure. 

Would not like to see Bird & Shinnie playing in the same team, didn't work at the back end of last season and not this one either, I don't mind either of them but not together. We need Sibley playing and firing BUT to keep him in check, dock him 50% match fee for every yellow he gets ?

Would also like WBA to come in a buy Lawrence, and use that space to get in somebody who can stay up front !

The team has to learn to play with Stretton upfront, obviously a lot of our planning would've been around a big body striker like CKR and whilst he was far from a prime Drogba, he definitely allowed our team an outlet. It's a hugely impactful injury, perhaps even more so than if we lost one of our two centre backs. 

Hull had a great win opening day, put somewhat back in their place by a very good QPR side, but will still come into this game feeling like anything other than a convincing win will be damning to their professional integrity. 

I think we will end up needing a lot more time on the training pitch to set the team up to be impactful with Stretton. A more polished side should be able to see us off comfortably. 2-0 Hull. 

Roos

byrne    Stearmen    Davies      Buchanan 

Watson         Shinnie

sibley                Lawrence           Ebesele

Stretton

drop bird to the u23s play Watson and we should be ok. Just worried about the back line a little

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Roos

byrne    Stearmen    Davies      Buchanan 

Watson         Shinnie

sibley                Lawrence           Ebesele

Stretton

drop bird to the u23s play Watson and we should be ok. Just worried about the back line a little

You would leave Morrison out Big Trav?

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos
Ebosele   JBrown   Cashin   Buchanan   Williams
LThompson   Bird
Sibley   Watson   Hutchinson
Stretton

Subs: Foulkes, Bardell, Solomon, Dixon, Aghatise, Borkovic, Plange

Drop all of the senior pros? 

Radical, but maybe the left field solution we need. 

Well, that and fielding 12.....?

Going for a draw with the hope that we can put the brake on a poor sequence of away results, 6L in a row, 9L in 10 (1D, also on a Weds, 0-0, Barnsley). Hull carrying a few injuries to the players that got them out of L1 (Wilks, Honeyman), & they don't carry a lot of pace up front.  It could be a narrow loss, but think we may scramble a point here or at Birmingham before another tough run of away fixtures.

I thought Hull looked OK against QPR, but probably need another a more clinical striker than Magennis. 

The manager can't keep playing the high press with so many games to come & a threadbare squad. Firstly, the team will fade in games, second, fatigue is going to set in during a long season as it would with a bigger squad. 

So I expect Rooney to chop and change & alter the formation.

We all have opinions of our attacking/creative players. They all look sort of aimless at times and I think that’s largely due to the lack of tempo and intensity of our general play. It’s no coincidence that the likes of Bird and Watson look good and thread passes when we are pressing from the front and have movement. Our creative players have very little to aim at when we are slow and static. 

On 14/08/2021 at 22:07, Sparkle said:

We need to score goals so let’s try to give the opposition some problems 

Roos 

Byrne.  Stearman Davies.  Buchanan 

jozwiak.     Watson  Morrison    Lawrence    
                Ebosele Stretton 

Jozwiak and Lawrence because we have no one else whilst midfield is light but we need goals  - two playing up high because we have to move the opposite side around and create space and chances 

very exposed in midfield though with only Morrison and Watson there. Could easily get outnumbered. 

Roos

Byrne               Stearman                    Davies           Forsyth

Bird                          Morrison

Watson                                                             Sibley

Lawrence

Stretton