1971-72 season scrapbook

LeedsCityRam

As we're all aware, this season marks the 50th anniversary of our first League title. Had an idea for a while to mark it by doing a walk through the season as it happened 50 years ago (rather than just next May) - sort of a variation on the 'Derby on this day thread'

Whilst its stating the obvious to suggest a first title changed a club, this season in particular acted as a benchmark for Derby. It was the first season we had the Ram that we still see on our shirts today, it set the platform for our European Cup exploits the following season (and Brian Clough's obsession with landing the trophy after the Juventus semi-final) & our later title in 1974-75. It is also the breakthrough season which still affords Derby a lot of respect nationally from fans of a certain age & one often remembered for the nail-biting ending.

I wasn't around 50 years ago so my efforts will be confined to finding Youtube footage (if it exists), match reports, memorabilia & updated league tables as the season gets going. Where it probably needs fleshing out is with contributions from those who were there at the particular matches - what do you remember about particular games, what were the away fans like (good & lets face it, bad in a lot of instances) & any other memories/match rituals of the time

Anyroad, enough wittering from me. Exactly 50 years ago today we kicked off 1971-72 against Manchester Utd at the Baseball Ground. Youtube highlights below but we were actually 0-2 down in our opener against the Man Utd side of Law, Best & Charlton...

I was there. Every home game and a few away. I was a 26 year old just started working in the dole office at the top of Normanton Road after working as a barman for a couple of years in Estartit Spain (at the wonderfully named El Custard Beast). A fantastic time to be a Rams fan. I remember it so well. There was a buzz in the town. Let’s hope we can recreate it while I’m still around!

I was 18 years old in 1970, football mad and went to every home game, and many away matches, which were great days out, usually on the train.

Six of us from Allestree FC went to Newquay in 1970, which was just brilliant - sun, sand, surfing and girls - what a time to be alive, but we all came back on the Friday evening to ensure we got to the Rams vs Man. Utd Watney Cup Final, at the BBG, which we won 4-0.

Memories which cannot be taken back - wonderful days

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

As we're all aware, this season marks the 50th anniversary of our first League title. Had an idea for a while to mark it by doing a walk through the season as it happened 50 years ago (rather than just next May) - sort of a variation on the 'Derby on this day thread'

Whilst its stating the obvious to suggest a first title changed a club, this season in particular acted as a benchmark for Derby. It was the first season we had the Ram that we still see on our shirts today, it set the platform for our European Cup exploits the following season (and Brian Clough's obsession with landing the trophy after the Juventus semi-final) & our later title in 1974-75. It is also the breakthrough season which still affords Derby a lot of respect nationally from fans of a certain age & one often remembered for the nail-biting ending.

I wasn't around 50 years ago so my efforts will be confined to finding Youtube footage (if it exists), match reports, memorabilia & updated league tables as the season gets going. Where it probably needs fleshing out is with contributions from those who were there at the particular matches - what do you remember about particular games, what were the away fans like (good & lets face it, bad in a lot of instances) & any other memories/match rituals of the time

Anyroad, enough wittering from me. Exactly 50 years ago today we kicked off 1971-72 against Manchester Utd at the Baseball Ground. Youtube highlights below but we were actually 0-2 down in our opener against the Man Utd side of Law, Best & Charlton...

Our first goal would never be allowed to stand today. 

Matchday 2 - 18th August 1971 and 30,783 turned up that Wednesday night at the BBG against West Ham

Pretty decent West Ham side on paper – Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst & a certain Frank Lampard (senior) starring for the Hammers. McFarland unavailable so Hennessey slotted in alongside Colin Todd at CB. We won 2-0 with goals from John O’Hare & Frank Wignall, both in the first 10 mins.

image.thumb.png.f406872f4874a002541e65ff0e0c802d.png

Found The Ram programme sold pre-match. Bit of focus on the big police operation the previous Saturday v Man Utd – apparently ‘only’ 3 houses got their windows bricked – great police work indeed… ?

image.png.6d3b5873d9e2db540b6b9aef2f2921de.png

Matchday 3 – Saturday 21st August 1971 & our first away trip of the season, down the road to newly promoted upstarts Leicester City.

35,640 crammed into Filbert Street to see the mighty Rams win 2-0 with second half goals from Alan Hinton (penalty) & Kevin Hector. Couple of names of interest in the Leicester team – 22 year old Peter Shilton in net & David Nish, who joined Derby the following August for a British transfer record fee.

image.png.4a2fc8fea7436527a1e0a397ea511fe4.png

Programme of the day not really a patch on ‘The Ram’ but here you go…

image.png.2412e2f8a6bbe6487e044590ecb281a8.png

And early League table after the game – Derby in second place behind surprise leaders Sheffield Utd (they finished 10th in the end)

image.png.4868504327606cedc74e842d1027f877.png

7 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

I'm sure it's been asked a million times but.... What did happen to all the DET match reports (therams.co.uk)? It was a brilliant resource but disappeared over night...

Did try & contact them a few weeks ago as I remember them all being online about 15 odd years ago too. Got no reply. They don't seem to be on any newspaper archive site that I could find either

Any help/useful contact gratefully accepted ?

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Matchday 3 – Saturday 21st August 1971 & our first away trip of the season, down the road to newly promoted upstarts Leicester City.

35,640 crammed into Filbert Street to see the mighty Rams win 2-0 with second half goals from Alan Hinton (penalty) & Kevin Hector. Couple of names of interest in the Leicester team – 22 year old Peter Shilton in net & David Nish, who joined Derby the following August for a British transfer record fee.

image.png.4a2fc8fea7436527a1e0a397ea511fe4.png

Programme of the day not really a patch on ‘The Ram’ but here you go…

image.png.2412e2f8a6bbe6487e044590ecb281a8.png

And early League table after the game – Derby in second place behind surprise leaders Sheffield Utd (they finished 10th in the end)

image.png.4868504327606cedc74e842d1027f877.png

9 years old and my old man took us with a Foxes supporting friend supplying the tickets, spent the game behind the advertising boards on the pitch side in the Leicester Fans. Derby Fans were all along the opposite touchline circa 8000'ish All the noise from the Lad's on a local day out. Second only to Championship day in 1975

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Did try & contact them a few weeks ago as I remember them all being online about 15 odd years ago too. Got no reply. They don't seem to be on any newspaper archive site that I could find either

Any help/useful contact gratefully accepted ?

I'll maybe tweet Steve Nicholson, he may know?