1971-72 season scrapbook

LeedsCityRam

Going back to the 4 - 0 thumping of Stoke (11th September ‘71) I’m pretty sure Colin Todd got sent off for deliberate handball on the goal line. Can anyone confirm that my memory isn’t playing tricks on me ? 

I was in the boys pen for this game only being 12 at the time.

7 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Going back to the 4 - 0 thumping of Stoke (11th September ‘71) I’m pretty sure Colin Todd got sent off for deliberate handball on the goal line. Can anyone confirm that my memory isn’t playing tricks on me ? 

I was in the boys pen for this game only being 12 at the time.

I think you're referring to the 2-2 home draw against Southampton a couple of weeks earlier..youtube footage on previous page. Todd did indeed deliberately handle the ball (cracking save to be fair) but back in those days, it wasn't a sending off offence.

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I think you're referring to the 2-2 home draw against Southampton a couple of weeks earlier..youtube footage on previous page. Todd did indeed deliberately handle the ball (cracking save to be fair) but back in those days, it wasn't a sending off offence.

Think one Jimmy Hill campaigned for deliberate hand ball and “professional fouls” that stopped goal scoring opportunities to be red cards around this time 

46 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Bugger, all these years I was sure it was the four nil against Stoke and as for the sending off..man my memory don’t half play tricks on me. Thanks for putting me right. ?

Matchday 12 – Saturday 9th October 1971 & Spurs were the visitors to the BBG

The TV cameras returned to catch this top end of the table clash…

Goals from Todd & McFarland only enough to secure a 2-2 draw - curiously, this was the 3rd time the cameras had featured Derby this season & all three were 2-2 home draws. This draw was also our 7th after only 12 games – (spoiler alert) we would only have 3 more draws in the remaining 30 league games of the season…

image.png.90fc1c00e68239561480631116744727.png

image.png.f98d6ae8eb26ba00b02f8f8d94074c3f.png

Pre-match Cloughie in typically robust mood about recent signings Roger Davies & Graham Moseley, as well as cup outings at Dundee & Leeds…

image.png.4bad27a96b2e0a5b0d3935d1baa73360.png

Derby’s draw saw them slip into 4th behind Man City on goal average. Elsewhere, Sheffield Utd’s second consecutive defeat saw them replaced at the top by Man Utd, who won at Huddersfield;

image.png.ba775968f1c9590586ba54bc2fd61efb.png

Edited by LeedsCityRam

Matchday 13 – Saturday 16th October 1971 & a visit to Old Trafford to take on league leaders Man Utd

Unfortunately, the last unbeaten record in the division was to go as Derby fell to a 1-0 defeat here in front of 53,400 – Utd’s winner coming courtesy of George Best just after half time.

Here’s Alan Hinton taking on two Utd defenders from the game..

image.png.45ad82a5ca0ced0019d4083e69f4b7cc.png

image.png.cfddaecc38604598024d2678d3e3e21f.png

image.png.6e0fb64980aac96cd8f689634485a715.png

Programme of the day from Old Trafford..

image.png.46cab143f0efa82f7ce4bc58518b8923.png

Derby stayed in 4th place despite the defeat but now lay 4 points behind Man Utd. A good day for the leaders as Sheffield Utd lost again & Man City were beaten at Leeds;

image.png.eaf99816982b313fdede77f3ddb25ed2.png

9 minutes ago, leroyoftherovers said:

Quality thead Leeds City Ram , my old man revelled in this era but his memory ain't what it used to be, this match day account fills in the gaps for me and puts a smile on his face as he remembers the good old days. Nice one mate

That’s what it’s all about, forum members taking the time to help others to remember the good times and to educate those that were not around, keeping the heritage and history alive ! Good work @LeedsCityRam❤️

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Matchday 13 – Saturday 16th October 1971 & a visit to Old Trafford to take on league leaders Man Utd

Unfortunately, the last unbeaten record in the division was to go as Derby fell to a 1-0 defeat here in front of 53,400 – Utd’s winner coming courtesy of George Best just after half time.

Here’s Alan Hinton taking on two Utd defenders from the game..

image.png.45ad82a5ca0ced0019d4083e69f4b7cc.png

image.png.cfddaecc38604598024d2678d3e3e21f.png

image.png.6e0fb64980aac96cd8f689634485a715.png

Programme of the day from Old Trafford..

image.png.46cab143f0efa82f7ce4bc58518b8923.png

Derby stayed in 4th place despite the defeat but now lay 4 points behind Man Utd. A good day for the leaders as Sheffield Utd lost again & Man City were beaten at Leeds;

image.png.eaf99816982b313fdede77f3ddb25ed2.png

George who? ?

I can still remember the disappointment of coming away from this game after the loss. By that time the Rams were recognised as an emerging force in the game while most of the country revelled in the fact that United's glory days seemed behind them. Their fans were just as arrogant as they are today. The supporters buses from Cornwall, Cumbria, Essex,, London and all points of the compass cluttered the streets surrounding Old Trafford on match day. City were already considered locally as THE Manchester team and were the most recent  club from the City to have won the league title.

City and Derby were a real irritant to all at United, including Busby. This was fuelled by the perceived arrogance of Clough and Malcolm Allison, looking down on United with their views which were seized upon hungrily by the national media. Busby, who usually avoided controversy and was seen by many as 'the father of football' had risen to the bait previously by responding that in his experience, it was usually empty vessels that made the moist noise.

United's position at the top of the table in the first few months of the season proved a false dawn, achieved mainly on the back of an outstanding start by George Best who was largely carrying the team by his own efforts. Anyway, that day the Rams were second best and we couldn't complain. In fact it was the start of a poor run away from home, which represented our worst part of the march to the championship. That was the last of our games against United that season, following the home draw on the opening day.

As will be seen as the editor proceeds with this excellent scrapbook, things turned at the end of the year when United's challenge fell away, as Clough and Allison constantly predicted. They were as adept at playing mind games as Alex Ferguson later came to be.

After the turn of the year as United declined and the Rams found a new head of steam, Willie Morgan, the quite average Scottish winger who United had signed from Burnley, tried his own mind games against Derby. He owned a launderette in Manchester. He said that Derby were not good enough to win the title. He declared that if they somehow managed to do so, he would wash Derby's kit for free the following season. When push came to shove, he never fulfilled that offer. He obviously didn't wish to wash OUR dirty washing in public. It must have stuck in Willie's craw that until the 1990s, Derby fans were able to look back and say that their club had won the league twice more than United in the previous 25 years. 

Despite my one club loyalty to Derby. Best was still the best player I have ever seen in the flesh. He was a genius. When he announced his early retirement and left United to spend the summer in Majorca, Cloughie wrote an article in the Sunday Express, saying that he would rescue his career if he would come to Derby and explained just how he would do it. Of course it never happened. At the end of the summer, Busby tempted him back to United. He continued there for about another three seasons, drinking his career at the top away, until Tommy Docherty brought his time at United  to an end.

Unfortunately, Docherty, soon came to Derby. He sold Colin Todd and Bruce Rioch to Everton. He replaced them by signing Billy Caskey and Vic Moreland. If someone wants to ask who? It is a very appropriate question about Vic and Billy angieram?

2 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Despite my one club loyalty to Derby. Best was still the best player I have ever seen in the flesh. He was a genius. When he announced his early retirement and left United to spend the summer in Majorca, Cloughie wrote an article in the Sunday Express, saying that he would rescue his career if he would come to Derby and explained just how he would do it. Of course it never happened. At the end of the summer, Busby tempted him back to United. He continued there for about another three seasons, drinking his career at the top away, until Tommy Docherty brought his time at United  to an end.

Unfortunately, Docherty, soon came to Derby. He sold Colin Todd and Bruce Rioch to Everton. He replaced them by signing Billy Caskey and Vic Moreland. If someone wants to ask who? It is a very appropriate question about Vic and Billy angieram?

You of course know I was joking? 

I remember Vic and Billy very well, too.

angieram. Of course I know you were joking ???

Vic and Billy were awful for Derby and so was Tommy Docherty.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I can still remember the disappointment of coming away from this game after the loss. By that time the Rams were recognised as an emerging force in the game while most of the country revelled in the fact that United's glory days seemed behind them. Their fans were just as arrogant as they are today. The supporters buses from Cornwall, Cumbria, Essex,, London and all points of the compass cluttered the streets surrounding Old Trafford on match day. City were already considered locally as THE Manchester team and were the most recent  club from the City to have won the league title.

City and Derby were a real irritant to all at United, including Busby. This was fuelled by the perceived arrogance of Clough and Malcolm Allison, looking down on United with their views which were seized upon hungrily by the national media. Busby, who usually avoided controversy and was seen by many as 'the father of football' had risen to the bait previously by responding that in his experience, it was usually empty vessels that made the moist noise.

United's position at the top of the table in the first few months of the season proved a false dawn, achieved mainly on the back of an outstanding start by George Best who was largely carrying the team by his own efforts. Anyway, that day the Rams were second best and we couldn't complain. In fact it was the start of a poor run away from home, which represented our worst part of the march to the championship. That was the last of our games against United that season, following the home draw on the opening day.

As will be seen as the editor proceeds with this excellent scrapbook, things turned at the end of the year when United's challenge fell away, as Clough and Allison constantly predicted. They were as adept at playing mind games as Alex Ferguson later came to be.

After the turn of the year as United declined and the Rams found a new head of steam, Willie Morgan, the quite average Scottish winger who United had signed from Burnley, tried his own mind games against Derby. He owned a launderette in Manchester. He said that Derby were not good enough to win the title. He declared that if they somehow managed to do so, he would wash Derby's kit for free the following season. When push came to shove, he never fulfilled that offer. He obviously didn't wish to wash OUR dirty washing in public. It must have stuck in Willie's craw that until the 1990s, Derby fans were able to look back and say that their club had won the league twice more than United in the previous 25 years. 

Interesting bit of context there about the mind games with Man Utd. It might partially explain this article I found in the following weekend's edition of The Ram - quite brave of Roy Mac to dismiss the title chances of a club who were clear at the top & had just beaten us

image.thumb.png.83b083498d8414b80c25c379f2aebfd0.png

LeedCityRam  I hadn't remembered Roy Mac saying that but he was spot on I'm wondering now if that was the catalyst for Willie Morgan's later tantrumWait until you come to do the home game against Manchester City in December. That's when Malcolm Allison and Cloughie really upped the ante in the post match press conference. It was national headlines and coincided with United going into decline. It really got under Frank O'Farrell's skin.

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

LeedCityRam  I hadn't remembered Roy Mac saying that but he was spot on I'm wondering now if that was the catalyst for Willie Morgan's later tantrumWait until you come to do the home game against Manchester City in December. That's when Malcolm Allison and Cloughie really upped the ante in the post match press conference. It was national headlines and coincided with United going into decline. It really got under Frank O'Farrell's skin.

Made O’Farrell lose his hair as well ??‍?

25 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Made O’Farrell lose his hair as well ??‍?

I think you're confusing O'Farrell with his predecessor, Wilf McGuiness. He suffered from alopecia through the stress caused in trying to follow Busby at United. He was a Busby Babe, alongside Bobby Charlton but his career ended at a young age and he became the youth coach. Stepping into Busby's shoes was several steps too far and it broke him health wise.

Haha I see you relaised that for yourself just as I posted this. Well done.

Edited by Guest