1971-72 season scrapbook

LeedsCityRam

38 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I think you're confusing O'Farrell with his predecessor, Wilf McGuiness. He suffered from alopecia through the stress caused in trying to follow Busby at United. He was a Busby Babe, alongside Bobby Charlton but his career ended at a young age and he became the youth coach. Stepping into Busby's shoes was several steps too far and it broke him health wise.

Haha I see you relaised that for yourself just as I posted this. Well done.

Yes think they sacked McGuinness after the 4-4 Boxing Day game at the BBG. Les Greens nightmare match 

You're spot on with that. I only recall it now that you mention it. Seems ironic to have sacked him after a game like that. Derby were 2-0 up, 2-3 down, 4-3 up and United equalised. Yes a nightmare  for Les and his last game for Derby of course. I knew him well for the last six years of his life. He worked with my wife in the car trade. He told me some things about his time in football and was very honest about his demise at Derby. But he straightened himself out after football. He took me to the BB Bar and Grill to meet Dave Mackay for a quick drink that lasted all afternoon and into the evening. He was very modest and the guys he worked with didn't even know of his football career until I told them. They were amazed.

I said it was his last game for Derby. It was his last competitive game but in March 1971, Les played at the BBG in Ron Webster's testimonial game against Coventry City. Every time he successfully gathered the ball, the crowd cheered in irony. It can't have been pleasant for him because he had been a star for us for two and a half seasons and he didn't deserve that. In the end he snapped and sent a V-sign to the Pop Side. That was the end for him and soon after he joined Durban City where he played with Johnny Haynes and Budgie Byrne. His career ended there when he suffered a serious leg break which left him with a deformed shin.

Matchday 14 – Saturday 23rd October 1971 & the visit of reigning League Champions & Double winners Arsenal to the BBG

Arsenal started the day in 5th place, a point behind the Rams so a good result was important here. Some familiar names amongst the Arsenal side – future BBC Sport front man Bob Wilson, future title winning manager George Graham & one Charlie George…

image.png.6dfd8aef1e40569c1b21b01e979a042b.png

Pre-match edition of The Ram reporting that the club made a marginal profit in the previous year – greatly reduced from funding the transfer of Colin Todd in particular. Also at the top of the page, a clown at The Sun (Frank Clough – no relation) declaring after our defeat at Man Utd he would eat his match report on toast if we won the League…

image.png.8b84ce4ec366112b3840228e9e8cddf0.png

Derby’s win lifted them into 3rd place as Sheffield Utd lost yet again, this time at Man City. The gap to leaders Man Utd was still 4 points though as they won away at Newcastle;

image.png.fc69caea500debaaff7216f198aa95eb.png

Edited by LeedsCityRam

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Matchday 14 – Saturday 23rd October 1971 & the visit of reigning League Champions & Double winners Arsenal to the BBG

Arsenal started the day in 5th place, a point behind the Rams so a good result was important here. Some familiar names amongst the Arsenal side – future BBC Sport front man Bob Wilson, future title winning manager George Graham & one Charlie George…

Pre-match edition of The Ram reporting that the club made a marginal profit in the previous year – greatly reduced from funding the transfer of Colin Todd in particular. Also at the top of the page, a clown at The Sun (Frank Clough – no relation) declaring after our defeat at Man Utd that he would eat his match report on toast if we won the League…

Derby’s win lifted them into 3rd place as Sheffield Utd lost yet again, this time at Man City. The gap to leaders Man Utd was still 4 points though as they won away at Newcastle;

Some things never change in football - the Sun is still full of ******** and football finances are still a mess. 

What a pity we aren't still being served up the same football! COYR! 

On 16/10/2021 at 21:09, Brailsford Ram said:

angieram. Of course I know you were joking ???

Vic and Billy were awful for Derby and so was Tommy Docherty.

Vic used to stop off on his way home to Oakwood in his vomit  coloured club sponsored Saab, for a kickabout with us on "The Bottom Green". (Near where The Paddock pub is now). 

Let me tell you, he made us 14-16 year olds look like amateurs!  

*When I say "used to stop off", it was more likely just the once, but hey, where's the story in that, eh?  

33 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Pre-match edition of The Ram reporting that the club made a marginal profit in the previous year – greatly reduced from funding the transfer of Colin Todd in particular. Also at the top of the page, a clown at The Sun (Frank Clough – no relation) declaring after our defeat at Man Utd he would eat his match report on toast if we won the League…

A question for the more informed, was this the first time the rams fans saw a young Steve Powell in the top flight? What a servant to the club he turned out to be. 

2 minutes ago, leroyoftherovers said:

A question for the more informed, was this the first time the rams fans saw a young Steve Powell in the top flight? What a servant to the club he turned out to be. 

Yes, I believe it was. 

I think his first start for the Rams was at RB in the crucial last game against Liverpool at the BBG, where he was superb. I can still see in my mind him completely taking Emlyn Hughes out of the game by flicking the ball back over his own head and bringing it down as Emlyn went in the opposite direction ? 

Edited by Crewton

I was discussing this game just a few weeks ago with some old friends who used to go to games with me back in the day. There were some games that stick in everyone's mind from that season, especially on the run in to the season but they had only scant recollection of this one. They all remembered that Steve Powell had come on for his debut but little else. However, this one was up there amongst the games of the season for me. When I explained it, they agreed the importance of it.

Of course as we discussed last week, we had just lost our first league game of the season, although we had also been knocked out of the League Cup at Leeds the previous month. We had to bounce back to maintain momentum in the league against Arsenal but they were the reigning champions and had clinched the double just five months and about 14 games before with Charlie George's famous extra time winner in the cup final against Liverpool. Looking at their team sheet above, I think it was the same team that played at Wembley except Roberts replaced Simpson but I see that Simpson replaced Roberts at half time in this game.

So, it was a huge test but we had beaten Arsenal at home in the previous two seasons and our 2-0 victory against them in February was one of only six defeats they suffered on the way to the double.

Derby removed any fears we might have had that day right from the very first minute. They came out of the traps like greyhounds attacking the Osmaston End and Kevin Hector had a header headed off the line almost from the kick off. I think it was Sammy Nelson that cleared it, but I may be wrong on that. Nevertheless, I well remember the Rams were rampant and the 2-1 margin of our victory was a distorted reflection of our superiority that day. We really did shoot the Gunners down. John O'Hare scored quite early in the game and George Graham equalised for Arsenal with a header at the Normanton End in one of Arsenal's rare attacks. Alan Hinton scored a penalty before half-time. I think Kevin Hector had been brought down and the second half was goalless, to put us back on track. 

Talking of Steve Powell, my recollection of his family began with my very first game watching the Rams at the BBG on September 16th 1961. We beat Preston 3-2 and Steve's dad, Tommy who was himself a Derby legend, scored the third goal. By that time he was a part-time professional, combining football with a full-time job in the accounts department at the Derby Evening Telegraph. He had retired as a player at the end of the previous season but had agreed to return part-time, despite the fact that the manager, Harry Storer, had a well known aversion to part-time players. In his early days at Derby, he had transferred out several part-time professionals. So, Tommy must have been a bit special. That was Tommy's last goal for Derby. He played just one more league game the following month and retired from the game after a bad injury against Portsmouth in a League Cup replay at the BBG in November of that year.

In the 1963-64 season, I was the football captain of Ravensdale junior school in Mickleover. We played in the Trent Valley schools league, which was for those schools which at the time sat just outside the borough boundaries before they were later extended. By some way the best team in that league was Littleover Gayton Avenue, who I recall beat us 8-0 and 7-2. I was 11 but in the Gayton Avenue side was the seven year old Steve Powell who was one of the best players in an outstanding side. Many of you will understand that four years was quite a gulf to bridge at that age and I never experienced anyone else doing it so young at that level. But watching him you would never have guessed he was so young unless you knew. His older brother Martin was in the same team and he too was a very good player but any hopes he had of playing professionally were ended by an injury when he was still at school. Also in that team was Mick Fletcher who , as a part-time professional in this championship season played in our reserve team that won the Central League. Roger Davies, Jeff Bourne, Graham Moseley, Jim Walker and Steve Powell were regular players in that side. Mick never played in the first team but went on to have a long and legendary career at Burton Albion.

When he was at Bemrose grammar school, Steve Powell captained England Schoolboys when he was aged 14 and 15. I might be wrong on this, but I think he is the only player ever  to have captained that team for two years. In those days the annual game against Scotland  at Wembley was watched by a full house of 100,000. It was also watched by scouts from all of the top league clubs and many of the players stepped straight out of the team to sign for league clubs, as did Steve. Thankfully Cloughie got in before all of the other clubs when he turned up unannounced at Bemrose to sign Steve, agains the wishes of the headmaster Dr. Chapman who wanted him to say on to do his A levels. I think Cloughie assured him that Steve would complete his A levels alongside his professional football career.

When I look back in time now to playing against Steve in 1963-64, it seems incredible that just eight years later I was watching him help the Rams to become champions of England. He played for England U23 but never went on to win a full England cap, only because his progress was hampered by injury. Nevertheless, he played over 400 times for Derby and like his dad he will forever be remembered as a Rams legend.

4 hours ago, leroyoftherovers said:

A question for the more informed, was this the first time the rams fans saw a young Steve Powell in the top flight?

It was indeed the first time we had seen him play in the top flight. But, just three days before, he and Alan Lewis, both aged 16, made their first team debuts in a 3-2 victory at the BBG against Stoke, on our way to winning the Texaco Cup.

Although, Cloughie chose to rest three regulars, it was a recognisable first team of Boulton, Daniel, Lewis, Hennessey, McFarland, Todd, Wignall, Powell, O'Hare, Hector, Hinton. Sub. Bailey and it was played in front of 21,487. Managers didn't undervalue cup competitions in those days and Powell was in on merit just a couple of months after leaving school.

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

I think his first start for the Rams was at RB in the crucial last game against Liverpool at the BBG,

That was his second start in the league but the memories of that great night understandably stand out in your mind for all of the right reasons.

His full league debut came in the next game after Arsenal, which I have no doubt LeedsCityRam will cover next week. Steve played in midfield in place of Alan Durban in a 2-0 win over Forest at the City Ground. He did not play in the first team again until the Liverpool game.

21 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I was discussing this game just a few weeks ago with some old friends who used to go to games with me back in the day. There were some games that stick in everyone's mind from that season, especially on the run in to the season but they had only scant recollection of this one. They all remembered that Steve Powell had come on for his debut but little else. However, this one was up there amongst the games of the season for me. When I explained it, they agreed the importance of it.

Of course as we discussed last week, we had just lost our first league game of the season, although we had also been knocked out of the League Cup at Leeds the previous month. We had to bounce back to maintain momentum in the league against Arsenal but they were the reigning champions and had clinched the double just five months and about 14 games before with Charlie George's famous extra time winner in the cup final against Liverpool. Looking at their team sheet above, I think it was the same team that played at Wembley except Roberts replaced Simpson but I see that Simpson replaced Roberts at half time in this game.

So, it was a huge test but we had beaten Arsenal at home in the previous two seasons and our 2-0 victory against them in February was one of only six defeats they suffered on the way to the double.

Derby removed any fears we might have had that day right from the very first minute. They came out of the traps like greyhounds attacking the Osmaston End and Kevin Hector had a header headed off the line almost from the kick off. I think it was Sammy Nelson that cleared it, but I may be wrong on that. Nevertheless, I well remember the Rams were rampant and the 2-1 margin of our victory was a distorted reflection of our superiority that day. We really did shoot the Gunners down. John O'Hare scored quite early in the game and George Graham equalised for Arsenal with a header at the Normanton End in one of Arsenal's rare attacks. Alan Hinton scored a penalty before half-time. I think Kevin Hector had been brought down and the second half was goalless, to put us back on track. 

Talking of Steve Powell, my recollection of his family began with my very first game watching the Rams at the BBG on September 16th 1961. We beat Preston 3-2 and Steve's dad, Tommy who was himself a Derby legend, scored the third goal. By that time he was a part-time professional, combining football with a full-time job in the accounts department at the Derby Evening Telegraph. He had retired as a player at the end of the previous season but had agreed to return part-time, despite the fact that the manager, Harry Storer, had a well known aversion to part-time players. In his early days at Derby, he had transferred out several part-time professionals. So, Tommy must have been a bit special. That was Tommy's last goal for Derby. He played just one more league game the following month and retired from the game after a bad injury against Portsmouth in a League Cup replay at the BBG in November of that year.

In the 1963-64 season, I was the football captain of Ravensdale junior school in Mickleover. We played in the Trent Valley schools league, which was for those schools which at the time sat just outside the borough boundaries before they were later extended. By some way the best team in that league was Littleover Gayton Avenue, who I recall beat us 8-0 and 7-2. I was 11 but in the Gayton Avenue side was the seven year old Steve Powell who was one of the best players in an outstanding side. Many of you will understand that four years was quite a gulf to bridge at that age and I never experienced anyone else doing it so young at that level. But watching him you would never have guessed he was so young unless you knew. His older brother Martin was in the same team and he too was a very good player but any hopes he had of playing professionally were ended by an injury when he was still at school. Also in that team was Mick Fletcher who , as a part-time professional in this championship season played in our reserve team that won the Central League. Roger Davies, Jeff Bourne, Graham Moseley, Jim Walker and Steve Powell were regular players in that side. Mick never played in the first team but went on to have a long and legendary career at Burton Albion.

When he was at Bemrose grammar school, Steve Powell captained England Schoolboys when he was aged 14 and 15. I might be wrong on this, but I think he is the only player ever  to have captained that team for two years. In those days the annual game against Scotland  at Wembley was watched by a full house of 100,000. It was also watched by scouts from all of the top league clubs and many of the players stepped straight out of the team to sign for league clubs, as did Steve. Thankfully Cloughie got in before all of the other clubs when he turned up unannounced at Bemrose to sign Steve, agains the wishes of the headmaster Dr. Chapman who wanted him to say on to do his A levels. I think Cloughie assured him that Steve would complete his A levels alongside his professional football career.

When I look back in time now to playing against Steve in 1963-64, it seems incredible that just eight years later I was watching him help the Rams to become champions of England. He played for England U23 but never went on to win a full England cap, only because his progress was hampered by injury. Nevertheless, he played over 400 times for Derby and like his dad he will forever be remembered as a Rams legend.

Bemrose School headmaster Dr WRC Chapmann - who earlier had been part of the Bletchley Park Enigma code breaking team - was the butt of one Brian Clough's famous quotes.

When trying to persuade Steve to stay on for his A levels, the Doc opined that if he stayed on at school Steve could go to Oxford (University). Brian Clough's response when hearing this was "If he signs for me he could BUY Oxford"!

10 hours ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Bemrose School headmaster Dr WRC Chapmann - who earlier had been part of the Bletchley Park Enigma code breaking team - was the butt of one Brian Clough's famous quotes.

When trying to persuade Steve to stay on for his A levels, the Doc opined that if he stayed on at school Steve could go to Oxford (University). Brian Clough's response when hearing this was "If he signs for me he could BUY Oxford"!

Brilliant and typical Brian Clough!

There are of course many brilliant quotes, publicly attributed to Brian Clough over the years. In fact he is surely one of the most quoted and wittiest characters in the whole  history of football in the UK. One of my favourite stories I heard about him came not from something I read but directly from a local businessman for whom I worked for a short while in the mid 1970s. He was a member of Chevin golf club, a Rams season ticket holder and he lived just around the corner from Brian who was then living on Ferrers Way just off Duffield Road. He was also on speaking terms with him.

He said that Brian applied to become a member at Chevin and was invited to a selection interview at the club. By this time he was known nationally and without doubt the most famous man in Derby. On Derby County match day duty he was always immaculately turned out in a suit and tie. But for the golf club interview he turned up in paint splattered casual clothes and training shoes, as though he had just broken off from home decoration duties.

He was invited into the committee room to meet the interview panel, by the chairman,  who introduced himself as a doctor. The good doctor opened the interchange by telling Brian "On your application form Mr. Clough, you describe your occupation as a manager. Could you please tell the committee just what it is that you manage?"

Cloughie replied "When you met me outside, you introduced yourself as a doctor. But you didn't tell me if you were a witch doctor, a horse doctor, a pox doctor or whatever. Nor did I see it to be of any relevance because I only came here to join your golf club, not for a medical examination."

He was then invited to wait outside while the committee deliberated its decision. When the time came for them to deliver the verdict, it was found that Brian had left the building. There was no further communication on the matter between him and the golf club.

Of course, I cannot be completely certain of the veracity of the story, but knowing the source and knowing of Brian Clough, it seems about right.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

There are of course many brilliant quotes, publicly attributed to Brian Clough over the years. In fact he is surely one of the most quoted and wittiest characters in the whole  history of football in the UK. One of my favourite stories I heard about him came not from something I read but directly from a local businessman for whom I worked for a short while in the mid 1970s. He was a member of Chevin golf club, a Rams season ticket holder and he lived just around the corner from Brian who was then living on Ferrers Way just off Duffield Road. He was also on speaking terms with him.

He said that Brian applied to become a member at Chevin and was invited to a selection interview at the club. By this time he was known nationally and without doubt the most famous man in Derby. On Derby County match day duty he was always immaculately turned out in a suit and tie. But for the golf club interview he turned up in paint splattered casual clothes and training shoes, as though he had just broken off from home decoration duties.

He was invited into the committee room to meet the interview panel, by the chairman,  who introduced himself as a doctor. The good doctor opened the interchange by telling Brian "On your application form Mr. Clough, you describe your occupation as a manager. Could you please tell the committee just what it is that you manage?"

Cloughie replied "When you met me outside, you introduced yourself as a doctor. But you didn't tell me if you were a witch doctor, a horse doctor, a pox doctor or whatever. Nor did I see it to be of any relevance because I only came here to join your golf club, not for a medical examination."

He was then invited to wait outside while the committee deliberated its decision. When the time came for them to deliver the verdict, it was found that Brian had left the building. There was no further communication on the matter between him and the golf club.

Of course, I cannot be completely certain of the veracity of the story, but knowing the source and knowing of Brian Clough, it seems about right.

My brother was in the Joiners Arms once after Uni, early 1980's, he was doing his apprenticeship at British Rail and had attended a course at the Uni (prob just a college back then) with half a dozen other lads. Brian walked in with a few family members, looked around and came over to the lads and asked why they weren't at work. The lads said they'd finished for the day, but one said to Brian, shouldn't you be at work after Saturdays result (forest had lost), Brian clipped him round the head but laughed and bought them all a pint.

Matchday 15 – Saturday 30th October 1971 & Derby day in the East Midlands as we visited City Ground, Nottingham

Forest came into the game 3rd bottom & had been destroyed 6-1 at Spurs the previous weekend – a game pleasingly captured in a ‘Right Hammerings’ compilation VHS I had bought for me as a kid. For those of you who think the City Ground is shabby now, you’ll be interested to learn the 1971 version mostly didn’t have a roof & their away end appears at first glance to have an electricity pylon plonked in it;

Goals there from Alan Hinton (pen) & a screamer from John Robson giving us the points in a game that saw Steve Powell make his first start for Derby, aged 16 years & 40 days. Forest’s penalty missed by Ian Storey-Moore, who infamously was on the verge of a move to Derby later this very season before Forest changed their minds & sold him to Man Utd instead. Bit more on that here;

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-hero-reveals-embarrassment-4939829

image.png.ea2a06af6273540971f8499d216b1a7f.png

image.png.65f7e0fd15afe4dcd40543d62241cbff.png

Programme of the day from Notts;

image.png.347b89e197e3816896fbb41dd379eb41.png

A cracking day for the Rams who apart from local bragging rights, also moved up to 2nd after Man City could only draw away at lowly Huddersfield. Elsewhere Man Utd lost their first game for 2 months (at home to Leeds) meaning their advantage over Derby was cut to 2 points;

image.png.0b3990631c0d108c1b2f74c1a60da24c.png

Edited by LeedsCityRam

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Matchday 15 – Saturday 30th October 1971 & Derby day in the East Midlands as we visited City Ground, Nottingham

Forest came into the game 3rd bottom & had been destroyed 6-1 at Spurs the previous weekend – a game pleasingly captured in a ‘Right Hammerings’ compilation VHS I had bought for me as a kid. For those of you who think the City Ground is shabby now, you’ll be interested to learn the 1971 version mostly didn’t have a roof & their away end appears at first glance to have an electricity pylon plonked in it;

Goals there from Alan Hinton (pen) & a screamer from John Robson giving us the points in a game that saw Steve Powell make his first start for Derby, aged 16 years & 40 days. Forest’s penalty missed by Ian Storey-Moore, who infamously was on the verge of a move to Derby later this very season before Forest changed their minds & sold him to Man Utd instead. Bit more on that here;

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-hero-reveals-embarrassment-4939829

image.png.ea2a06af6273540971f8499d216b1a7f.png

image.png.65f7e0fd15afe4dcd40543d62241cbff.png

Programme of the day from Notts;

image.png.347b89e197e3816896fbb41dd379eb41.png

A cracking day for the Rams who apart from local bragging rights, also moved up to 2nd after Man City could only draw away at lowly Huddersfield. Elsewhere Man Utd lost their first game for 2 months (at home to Leeds) meaning their advantage over Derby was cut to 2 points;

image.png.0b3990631c0d108c1b2f74c1a60da24c.png

A tale of three 'derbies' there, with Huddersfield quite close to that side of Manchester and the famous Man Utd Leeds rivalry (so the Leeds fans like to think!) 

We were the only ones not to get derbyitis! 

Loving these summaries as I was still in my non-league supporting days, but watching Derby highlights on TV when they were on. 

Great stuff!