Starting line up for the first game of the season.

sage

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

I was thinking

MackworthRam

Coconut         B4ev6is         i-ram            Nottsram77

Shinnie  SDSR 

Islandexile    JimboRam Sage

CKR

Think I would be more effective on my own up top than CKR ?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why Byrne on the wing and Festy RB and not the other way round? Why not Lawrence considering he's one of only two wingers we own?

I take it you don't rate Davies, Forsyth, Cashin, JBrown or Solomon as CBs if you'd rather see Knight there.

Lawrence will be sold. I don't rate Forsyth and never have done, unless we are talking about Micky Forsyth, or even Bruce. Not a fan of converted wingers. 30/70 if Davies stays. The best bits of Byrne is his wing play, his defending is mediocre; I thought we lacked a right-winger all season and with Ebosele, Wisdom and McDonald it seemed obvious to move him there for the missing creativity. Okay, Solomon for Knight, who will have to sit on the bench for now.

4 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

I was thinking

MackworthRam

Coconut         B4ev6is         i-ram            Nottsram77

Shinnie  SDSR 

Islandexile    JimboRam Sage

CKR

Thanks Woodley. I think I am too pretty to be in the back 4, especially up against some big bruiser No. 9. Happy to do you a job on the right hand side of midfield, or perhaps right wing wear I can wear gloves. Sage is a good selection at left wing, but if you want a proper old-fashioned left winger you really should have gone for @GboroRam.

What I'd be working towards if in charge:

Roos 

Byrne *New* *New* Buchanan

Bird

Knight     Sibley 

Jozwiak      *New*       Lawrence 

What I expect:

Marshall 

Byrne Davies Mengi* Buchanan

Bird    Shinnie 

Jozwiak    Knight     Lawrence 

CKR/New**

*assuming he signs

**I suspect the first signing aside from perhaps a centre back will be a forward but it's highly debatable whether anything materialises

35 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

What I'd be working towards if in charge:

Roos 

Byrne *New* *New* Buchanan

Bird

Knight     Sibley 

Jozwiak      *New*       Lawrence 

What I expect:

Marshall 

Byrne Davies Mengi* Buchanan

Bird    Shinnie 

Jozwiak    Knight     Lawrence 

CKR/New**

*assuming he signs

**I suspect the first signing aside from perhaps a centre back will be a forward but it's highly debatable whether anything materialises

Your team is too lightweight in midfield…..

On 05/07/2021 at 22:04, Jimbo Ram said:

Your team is too lightweight in midfield…..

I see your point but I mostly disagree especially in the context of playing style, options available and the fact that we likely have to gamble a little in what we do next season if we want to have anything close to a decent season.

Ultimately right now our midfield choices (ignoring primarily u23s and the injured Bielik) are Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley and Watson. Are we likely to add to them before the start of the season, honestly I doubt we manage it especially with glaring problems elsewhere (namely CB and CF) so the above are your options. If you want to be conservative you pick a team with Shinnie in it, he's the most experienced and off the back of previous seasons evidence the best defensively. However he is a limited player and can be something of a stifling influence on forward play through midfield, making a quick-passing attacking game plan difficult to deploy especially if you aren't careful with how you play him. In my opinion if you feel he's too vital to drop then you likely have to do one of two things; give up playing football on the deck and go full poohouse tactics or play him with both Bird and Watson to compensate (to be honest I quite like this option).

I'm working with the assumption that I think that the "academy" midfielders  are all very talented and our highest chance of success this season would be to build the team more concretely around them. I wouldn't call any of them especially lightweight and you'd expect that to be increasingly less true with another pre-season under their belt. I just have this feeling based on what we've seen so far that with the right coaching, the right tactics and the right players complimenting them that trio of Bird, Knight and Sibley could form something approximating a good, attack minded midfield and that we should gamble on that. 

11 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I see your point but I mostly disagree especially in the context of playing style, options available and the fact that we likely have to gamble a little in what we do next season if we want to have anything close to a decent season.

Ultimately right now our midfield choices (ignoring primarily u23s and the injured Bielik) are Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley and Watson. Are we likely to add to them before the start of the season, honestly I doubt we manage it especially with glaring problems elsewhere (namely CB and CF) so the above are your options. If you want to be conservative you pick a team with Shinnie in it, he's the most experienced and off the back of previous seasons evidence the best defensively. However he is a limited player and can be something of a stifling influence on forward play through midfield, making a quick-passing attacking game plan difficult to deploy especially if you aren't careful with how you play him. In my opinion if you feel he's too vital to drop then you likely have to do one of two things; give up playing football on the deck and go full poohouse tactics or play him with both Bird and Watson to compensate (to be honest I quite like this option).

I'm working with the assumption that I think that the "academy" midfielders  are all very talented and our highest chance of success this season would be to build the team more concretely around them. I wouldn't call any of them especially lightweight and you'd expect that to be increasingly less true with another pre-season under their belt. I just have this feeling based on what we've seen so far that with the right coaching, the right tactics and the right players complimenting them that trio of Bird, Knight and Sibley could form something approximating a good, attack minded midfield and that we should gamble on that. 

Nah ?

11 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Whenever someone says Bird-Knight-Sibley would be too lightweight, I always think back to the Swansea side which won promotion 10 years ago. Was it Allen, Britton and Gower? Dyer and Sinclair on the wings too! 

To be honest, what I think they mean is 'weak in the air', and it's hard to argue against that point.

I agree, I think in a side that dominates possession you have a far better chance of that (those three players) working than if you rely on a more direct or counter attacking tactic. Swansea always attempted to dominate the ball and so played at their pace, to theirs strengths. 

Football will always rely on an element of turnovers and regains and so it would depend largely on what’s around them to support / supplement their technical quality.

The two main problems teams have is when you either fill it with technically gifted players but have no steel to supplement this or attempt to play a possession based game but fill your side with ball winners!! Either way is destined for failure ?

Edited by Ravabeerbelly

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Whenever someone says Bird-Knight-Sibley would be too lightweight, I always think back to the Swansea side which won promotion 10 years ago. Was it Allen, Britton and Gower? Dyer and Sinclair on the wings too! 

To be honest, what I think they mean is 'weak in the air', and it's hard to argue against that point.

Even then being "weak in the air" isn't a midfield problem we can solve short of a signing or Bielik returning to fitness. To be honest I think it largely amounts to them all being young and Bird having the perception of not getting "stuck in".

The swansea example is spot on and their are other more recent examples. I mean look at Watford with Hughes as the anchor last year. 

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Marshall
Wisdom   Stearman   Jagielika   Davies   Forsyth
Bird   Shinnie
Jozwiak   Kazim   Lawrence

Bird, Jozwiak and Lawrence aren't experienced enough yet. I think we should go in for Huddlestone, Pugh and Grosicki to complete Dad's Army.

nice pace in that back line?

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/07/2021 at 15:07, Ghost of Clough said:

can't see that midfield 3 working for us considering Wayne's favoured tactic of hoofball.

• 2 weeks later...