Starting line up for the first game of the season.

sage

24 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If we could have signed four of these out of contract players you would have thought we would have by now ?

Not really, as mentioned by someone else, what if we sign one and they then get injured? 

We can wait until around Weds to sign, they have been playing & training so signing now or next week makes no difference.

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

We should take Menghi ahead of anyone else if he’s available. He’s a top PL footballer in the making. There’s a reason we did well with Wilson and Mount 

Do you think Menghi is that good? Thought he was ok, nothing more but he is young and hopefully he can push on if he signs again…

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Do you think Menghi is that good? Thought he was ok, nothing more but he is young and hopefully he can push on if he signs again…

I think he has massive potential and he is at the age where he will kick on fast. His positional play was sometimes suspect but he’ll deal with that rapidly with experience i reckon. He’s fast and strong and can last a season - a number of our back line will struggle to do that. 

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

We should take Menghi ahead of anyone else if he’s available. He’s a top PL footballer in the making. There’s a reason we did well with Wilson and Mount 

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think he has massive potential and he is at the age where he will kick on fast. His positional play was sometimes suspect but he’ll deal with that rapidly with experience i reckon. He’s fast and strong and can last a season - a number of our back line will struggle to do that. 

Hold on, are you getting Mengi mixed up with Tomori?

Mengi was basically a young Wisdom if anybody, honestly  if he wasn't black and young I'm not sure anyone would be comparing him to Fikayo (or Andre!)

(not implying anything to do with actual racism or anything of the sort - they're just very different players!)

Edited by Coconut

6 hours ago, Coconut said:

Hold on, are you getting Mengi mixed up with Tomori?

Mengi was basically a young Wisdom if anybody, honestly  if he wasn't black and young I'm not sure anyone would be comparing him to Fikayo (or Andre!)

(not implying anything to do with actual racism or anything of the sort - they're just very different players!)

Well these things are hard to predict I agree. He’s already much better in the air than Andre. 

33 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well these things are hard to predict I agree. He’s already much better in the air than Andre. 

I struggle to recall examples of seeing Andre actually in the air. Seems to try his headers from a standing position. Presumably because it's then easier to duck under the ball.... ?

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I struggle to recall examples of seeing Andre actually in the air. Seems to try his headers from a standing position. Presumably because it's then easier to duck under the ball.... ?

He seems to jump without bending his knees. It could be quite an interesting new event in the Olympics 

Edited by kevinhectoring

14 hours ago, Sparkle said:

If we could have signed four of these out of contract players you would have thought we would have by now ?

Rooney needs to see how hungry they are for the contract (called the Commons effect) and Morrison certainly needs to show that he wants to make the most of this chance.

Tomori looked a bit suspect when he first arrived. Not that you couldn't see a good player in there doing some great work but needed game time to improve and he certainly did that. Mengi is not quite there but could improve hugely with game time if we can afford to give it to him as long as it was alongside one of the canny old heads.

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

Tomori looked a bit suspect when he first arrived. Not that you couldn't see a good player in there doing some great work but needed game time to improve and he certainly did that. Mengi is not quite there but could improve hugely with game time if we can afford to give it to him as long as it was alongside one of the canny old heads.

Tomori had already had a year or 2 playing in the championship before he joined us, which may be why he adapted so quickly.

Mengi looked incredibly suspect when he first played for us, but seemed to get a little better each game.

I worry that if we don't sign Mengi we have zero pace at the back. Forsyth can come in at CB but he also has no pace. So with the limited players we can sign i think we have to choose between Mengi and Wisdom. 

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

i think we have to choose between Mengi and Wisdom.

Mengi

I think with the club in it's current transitional state, more loans would be better than giving out contracts to free agents. 

You can always end them back if they get injured etc. I doubt Wisdom would accept less than a 2 year contract and I don't want us stuck with him that long.

Honestly, currently, what is our starting 11 going to look like against Huddersfield?

If it really is the EFL holding up our signings they don't seem to be working very hard to relax things for us, so I'm not entirely confident things will have changed by next Saturday.

Is Forsyth able to play Left back, centre back x2 and right back?

14 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If it really is the EFL holding up our signings they don't seem to be working very hard to relax things for us

I’d guess Pearce is absolutely flat out just now, trying to get this all sorted before Saturday. Interesting question is whether they see Friday as a hard deadline or whether they think things could drift to 18 Aug (when the accounts need to be finalised). Really hope they get it all done this week, will be a shambolic start to the season otherwise