Starting line up for the first game of the season.

sage

4 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I'm afraid Rooney is not even close to Roy. Hodgson has incredible amount of knowledge of the game and with his attention to little details he has made long, long career in management.

Rooney has lot to learn and I'm not sure he is not humble enough for that.

I admit being bit biased, because Hodgson has had opportunities to convince me face to face, Rooney has not.

I totally agree never meant to say that wazza was close to Roy's. Wazza done jack in terms of managing. Just meant that he sets himself up not to lose, very functional not attack minded

I'd like us to play with 5-3-2 which is most common tactic in current EURO's.

Marshall/Roos

Byrne        New       New       New      Buchanan

Bird      Sibley     Shinnie

CKR       New/Stretton

Sell all the wingers and Knight and use the money to sign striker and CB's.

8 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Marshall/Roos

CKR       New/Stretton

We tend to do the opposite. Derby love buying wingers in the window, especially ones that can’t cross or shoot!

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We tend to do the opposite. Derby love buying wingers in the window, especially ones that can’t cross or shoot!

Yeah, I miss the times when we bought strikers and played them on the wing.

10 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Marshall/Roos

CKR       New/Stretton

This happens all too often and I constantly have to point out that you are not allowed to field 13 players at the same time. (We still wouldn't win anyway)

2 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

This happens all too often and I constantly have to point out that you are not allowed to field 13 players at the same time. (We still wouldn't win anyway)

Oh no, I think there's a misintrerpretation.

new       new       new is a player I admire, he is good enough to play CB position on his own.

15 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Yes we can still sign players they just have to be on a free or loan and under a certain wage limit, ive seen both 10k and 12.5k a week so not sure which one it is.

600k a year apparently (according to Kieran Maguire on the Rams Review Podcast) which comes out as 11.5k per week

Average wage in Championship last season was 29k so a quick Google search says but that will be skewed by relegated Prem clubs & also legacy wages from pre-Covid. Suspect when you exclude relegated clubs, it'll be sub-20k & probably closer to 15k now that a lot of heavy earners have left on a free this summer.

So 11.5k a week is 'reasonably competitive' & certainly a lot ot Championship clubs will have average wages below that but it will necessitate a Moneyball approach i.e. what players specifically suit Rooney's specific team style no matter what their previous club level. Probably the route we should be going down anyway.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My more serious current starting lineup (assuming renewals go ahead):

Roos
Byrne   Wisdom   Davies   Buchanan
Knight    Shinnie
Jozwiak   Sibley   Lawrence
Kazim

Subs: Marshall, Ebosele, Solomon, Forsyth, Bird, LThompson, Waghorn, Ibe, Stretton

Looks about right except I'd have Cashin > Solomon and Watson > Thompson

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My more serious current starting lineup (assuming renewals go ahead):

Roos
Byrne   Wisdom   Davies   Buchanan
Knight    Shinnie
Jozwiak   Sibley   Lawrence
Kazim

Subs: Marshall, Ebosele, Solomon, Forsyth, Bird, LThompson, Waghorn, Ibe, Stretton

Barring injuries, that team looks not too bad and should just about beat the drop.

Injuries, in any position, would be a real problem though.

Luckily we have an inspirational manager that will have them playing like world beaters with fast flowing football ?

14 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Barring injuries, that team looks not too bad and should just about beat the drop.

Injuries, in any position, would be a real problem though.

Luckily we have an inspirational manager that will have them playing like world beaters with fast flowing football ?

See that's where my issue lies with Rooney. 

I am quite prepared to give him a chance with a fresh set of players. 

He has proved unable to get the current squad playing well. 

So if the team isn't going to change, then the manager has to. 

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

So 11.5k a week is 'reasonably competitive' & certainly a lot ot Championship clubs will have average wages below that but it will necessitate a Moneyball approach i.e. what players specifically suit Rooney's specific team style no matter what their previous club level. Probably the route we should be going down anyway.

I agree with this. Even without going into the nitty gritty of the Moneyball approach and the in-depth nature of it, applying the basic principle should have been happening anyway - bringing in players that have certain skills and fit the way you play.

We have been guilty of buying ‘quality’ players that have achieved elsewhere, even if they don’t fully fit our team style and philosophy. Now we’re limited to who we can bring in, it’s important we look at players who fit our desired style, regardless of ability. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Looks about right except I'd have Cashin > Solomon and Watson > Thompson

Genuine observation, that most if not all have completely ignored Isaac Hutchinson coming back off loan.

It doesn’t look like his loan was particularly successful in terms of minutes played (maybe picked up some niggling injuries that disrupted his time there) but I’m sure being around a successful side and a first team environment was beneficial and he impressed more than most in the Chorely game.

He now has 50 EFL appearances under his belt….mainly in league 1 and at 21 he should be pushing surely? If we do go down he could be out most experienced player for that division ?

31 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I agree with this. Even without going into the nitty gritty of the Moneyball approach and the in-depth nature of it, applying the basic principle should have been happening anyway - bringing in players that have certain skills and fit the way you play.

We have been guilty of buying ‘quality’ players that have achieved elsewhere, even if they don’t fully fit our team style and philosophy. Now we’re limited to who we can bring in, it’s important we look at players who fit our desired style, regardless of ability. 

completely agree, except what is our style? Don't think Wayne even knows himself. He seems to just want to match the opposition so if we carry on with that approach we might need a hell of a lot of players in?

We have absolutely no idea. I'd imagine we will have at least 2-3 new signings, plus 4-5 loan players by the first game of the season. I'd guess that we're going to be incredibly busy between 17th July and 7th August. Davies, possibly, could come back. I doubt we will see either Wagorn or Wisdom return. 

No idea when we can expect to receive confirmation of our league position, but we will be quiet up until that point for sure. 

I’d like us to switch full time to the system we played when we beat Bournemouth 1-0. 5-2-3 with the wing-backs pushing up high to give us a front 5 in attack.

Starting XI: Marshall; Byrne, Mengi, Davies, ?, Buchanan; Bird, Shinnie; Jozwiak, CKR, Lawrence

Bench: Roos, Ebosele, Cashin, Forsyth, J. Brown, Sibley, Watson, Ibe, Stretton

Sell Knight, sign a left-footed centre back & save the spare cash.

9 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

I’d like us to switch full time to the system we played when we beat Bournemouth 1-0. 5-2-3 with the wing-backs pushing up high to give us a front 5 in attack.

Starting XI: Marshall; Byrne, Mengi, Davies, ?, Buchanan; Bird, Shinnie; Jozwiak, CKR, Lawrence

Bench: Roos, Ebosele, Cashin, Forsyth, J. Brown, Sibley, Watson, Ibe, Stretton

Sell Knight, sign a left-footed centre back & save the spare cash.

If we keep our front three we can expect the same output as James Newman, especially supported by a back seven! 

6 hours ago, r4derby said:

What’s the desired style do you think ?