Changing the narrative…

Dan_Ram

Just picking up on the point about Leeds being United behind their club.

One of me fellow dog-walkers is a Leeds fan and teaches at the local school. He is very knowledgeable on football matters, and there is a good banter between the two of us.

Spoke to him regarding our current position, and he said that Leeds have had some "dodgy" owners in the past, but now they are being run properly. The consequence of that is that the whole club is in a much better place now.

Hopefully we get a new owner who can take us down a similar route. It is going to take time, but it will be worth it ...

Edited by 48 hours
Removed duplicate ...

49 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Well we have a journalistic fan at the Athletic who could at least start writing that alternative narrative and investigating EFL action against clubs. There are also those other clubs allegedly under embargo for following official advice on delaying accounts due to COVID but now against EFL unchanged rules. How can they not match government guidance during a global pandemic? Problem is proper investigative journalism is dying out in favour of regurgitating social media posts and hype dressed up as journalism. People are more interested in whether Grealish will move than the way in which the body governing the majority of the nation's football teams is being run. Any journalism students out there needing a meaty summer hols project? 

There was a journalist at the Independant a few years back who did some excellent investigative work in the football industry - forget his name. Does anyone know if he is still around?

2 hours ago, David said:

When you see other clubs like Leeds for example, blatantly cheating with spying on training sessions they were out in force over Derby forums and social media defending their club.

Us? We even had fans saying so what, they spied on our training sessions preparing to play them and that’s the difference.

I really dislike Leeds, REALLY dislike Leeds but I can’t help but respect the togetherness through right or wrong, that is there club and nobody shall attack it.

I’m sure you could link this to the atmosphere between the 2 grounds as well, feels like we’re waiting to boo rather than get behind the team.

As a disclaimer to this I do feel there are times when you cannot support, a player that has been racist for example, found guilty, but in fairness I don’t think he’s been that popular since with them.

Great post overall but just wanted to address the Leeds comments as feel there's a danger of them becoming the new Stoke ('great support & always been great')

Its true Leeds fans will defend anything but that isn't always that admirable...they defended their racist keeper to the hilt & sing pro-Jimmy Savile songs to dilute the embarrassment that such a repulsive individual was one of them. They were also very bullish over spygate but that had as much to do with them being top of the league at the time & it fitting in with their historical reputation as cheats. They love that mantle (although interestingly love to take the moral higher ground when it suits)

They are not a club that circles the wagons when things are tough though & are one of the worst clubs in English football for gloryhunting. The season they went down to League One & got their retrospective points deduction, the fans stayed away en masse...a lot of their gates were around 16k - 18k mark (link below)& they had to close their East Stand such was the level of disinterest. The main club shop in town also closed due to extremely poor sales...the city basically turned its back on the club. Its inconceivable that would happen at Derby or that gates would drop at PP to those levels in the second tier.

Yes, they're on the up now & their fans are as delusional as ever but when the chips are down Derby fans > Leeds fans every day of the week.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006–07_Leeds_United_A.F.C._season

38 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Like genetic defect inherited from my Dad

Mum and granny probably.

It's a bit of a stretch, but it's just about possible that without their involvement, we might never have won the FA Cup in 1946.

You're intrigued now, aren't you?

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's not negativity towards the club though is it, let's get that bit right. It's the current owner.

And as soon as people start mentioning witch hunt and constant then it just smacks of extremism to try and make their point appear more valid. 

If, and it’s a big “if” we resubmit our accounts and we’ve breached spending limits then we will be penalised rightly, and Mel and Pearce would need to take some blame on this issue. But that’s not happened yet. We’re facing a scenario where the EFL is trying to penalise us for something where we may have not even gained an advantage. If that isn’t a witch-hunt I don’t know what is.

I consider my views quite balanced so surprised to be called extremist. As for your constant negativity, have you ever posted anything even slightly positive on here? You seem to find negatives in most things. 

2 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Or collect the trophy as usual, every player takes a dump in it and we post it first class  to Gibson with a note saying ‘closest you’ll get to a trophy.’? 

Poor postman!

8 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

If, and it’s a big “if” we resubmit our accounts and we’ve breached spending limits then we will be penalised rightly, and Mel and Pearce would need to take some blame on this issue. But that’s not happened yet. We’re facing a scenario where the EFL is trying to penalise us for something where we may have not even gained an advantage. If that isn’t a witch-hunt I don’t know what is.

This.

9 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I agree we need to start changing the narrative from being victims to accepting the consequences of what our current chairman has done to the club to get us into this position.

The sooner we do that then we can move on hopefully with a new owner to boot and draw a line under the whole sorry episode.

Perfectly put. 
there is no “vendetta” against us. The EFL aren’t “out to get us” if you just think about It for 3 seconds, it’s madness. 

9 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Perfectly put. 
there is no “vendetta” against us. The EFL aren’t “out to get us” if you just think about It for 3 seconds, it’s madness. 

https://theathletic.com/2672955/2021/06/26/explained-reasons-for-derbys-100k-fine-efls-interchangeable-fixtures-and-will-there-be-a-points-deduction/

Matt Slater: "...And now we get to why Derby believe the EFL has crossed a line from being even-handed to becoming vindictive.

As explained, there had been communication between the parties about the strong possibility a verdict would come, as requested, before the publication of the fixtures. There had also been some conversation about a statement.

But having told the League they strongly dispute there is any possibility the EFL can retrospectively apply a points deduction that would relegate them, Derby were of the view that unless this was the commission’s specific ruling — and then they would be appealing against it — there was no need to do anything other than publish the fixtures with Derby in the Championship and Wycombe in League One.

To do anything else, they believe, is to give Wycombe false hope, make preparations for next season even harder than they already are and further complicate Morris’ attempts to sell a club that has already cost him £200 million since buying his first stake in 2014..."

Edited by RoyMac5

53 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Mum and granny probably.

It's a bit of a stretch, but it's just about possible that without their involvement, we might never have won the FA Cup in 1946.

You're intrigued now, aren't you?

Something to do with wives and family not being given tickets and the players refusing to play if it wasn't sorted. ?

1 hour ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

There was a journalist at the Independant a few years back who did some excellent investigative work in the football industry - forget his name. Does anyone know if he is still around?

David Conn , if you contact him ask him for any updates he has on his investigation into Forest’s fine upstanding and law abiding owner ?

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

It's difficult to change the narrative when as a fan base we seem to be divided upon what the narrative really is. Is it the EFL are ultimately responsible for this mess and poor old Mel has been screwed left and right? Is it that other club owners in the EFL such as Gibson are waging a vendetta against the club because of the final placings of one league season that they felt were unjust? Is it that whilst we've been bending the rules for so long other clubs have done things in a similar fashion and have gotten away with it but we're the last horse who didn't quite bolt before the gate was shut? 

Not being at the ground for so long doesn't help either I don't think as I imagine many fans are feeling disconnected from the club in a way that they wouldn't have felt beforehand. That feeling of togetherness is something that usually is accumulated by being at the ground every other saturday, sitting in the pub before and post match, and cheering the lads on. Combined with this the club is in an absolute mess that does mean it's harder to find that common ground swell of wholehearted public support for an owner who has led us into such an absolutely awful position. 

3 hours ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Hit the nail on the head. Attack the establishment as a journalist and all of a sudden your sources dry up 

45 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

It's difficult to change the narrative when as a fan base we seem to be divided upon what the narrative really is. Is it the EFL are ultimately responsible for this mess and poor old Mel has been screwed left and right? Is it that other club owners in the EFL such as Gibson are waging a vendetta against the club because of the final placings of one league season that they felt were unjust? Is it that whilst we've been bending the rules for so long other clubs have done things in a similar fashion and have gotten away with it but we're the last horse who didn't quite bolt before the gate was shut? 

Not being at the ground for so long doesn't help either I don't think as I imagine many fans are feeling disconnected from the club in a way that they wouldn't have felt beforehand. That feeling of togetherness is something that usually is accumulated by being at the ground every other saturday, sitting in the pub before and post match, and cheering the lads on. Combined with this the club is in an absolute mess that does mean it's harder to find that common ground swell of wholehearted public support for an owner who has led us into such an absolutely awful position. 

The fans don’t have the information they need to change the narrative. And as you point out they are fragmented. 

the club needs to change it. At the moment the story is that Derby is in a scrap with the EFl. That’s one reason the club needs to stop scrapping. Then the club needs to explain what this is really about: a regulatory system which makes it incredibly difficult to break into the top flight without pushing the envelope - for which some (Derby) get punished and others do not