EFL Verdict

DCFC90

Is my understanding correct that if the years in question for the amortirisation amount to greater than 30 million, Derby will be relegated.

Assuming Derby want to appeal, on what grounds.

The obvious grounds are that proofing that the amortisation isnt illegal and doesn't break the rules.

Not sure what any other grounds might be.

Relegation should need to break previous rulings for example Sheffield wednesday were not immediately relegated due to their points deduction.

I thought the efl couldn't retrospectively relegate Derby, plus Sheffield wednesday were initially given a 12 point deduction which was reduced to 6 on appeal.

Derby would probably have the right to appeal any points deduction, which would go beyond the start of the season.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Why is this being challenged now?

"Further issue is how the £12m profit on writing off some shares in 2016 is classified for FFP."

Because the ever helpful Mr Maguire is pointing out to the EFL that if they can't get us on P&S they might like to try another route. Self-important little cur!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is this being challenged now?

"Further issue is how the £12m profit on writing off some shares in 2016 is classified for FFP."

Not to mention, it's pretty damning on the clarity of the FFP rules that an apparent "football finances expert" has no clue how £12m worth of transactions should be handled properly.

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

Not to mention, it's pretty damning on the clarity of the FFP rules that an apparent "football finances expert" has no clue how £12m worth of transactions should be handled properly.

Well yes, he's a total see you next tuesday, of limited intelligence but a little bit of low cunning.

54 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Just listened to the radio box experts say the resubmitted accounts hinge on 12 million pounds worth of shares that were written off when Mel took over and counted has income. 

If they allow that and there is no particular reason why they shouldn't then we easily comply. If not then it maybe tight either wa.... being as this is the EFL then they will make up a rule and backdate it. 

Isn’t this what has happened at several clubs? Maybe Bristol city as an example?

I don’t think anyone is walking away from this smelling of Roses. The EFL for their vindictive pursuit of getting one over on us. Morris and Gibson for allowing the club to be exposed to the possibility of sanctions and relegation by openly going up against the EFL.
P&S doesn’t even look good, it’s meant to be there to protect clubs from overspending but it’s just used as a yard stick to beat clubs with. In our case this could mean relegation and administration, something it’s meant to avoid! 

I can’t see how we will comply with the preferred method of amortisation or we would have just used that in the first place. So further issues will probably arise and a potential points deduction next year. 
the real loses though will be the fans and those that work at the club that may lose their livelihoods if relegation does happen as the club will have to downsize to cut costs. 
All in all they are all a bunch of idiots trying to get one over on each other and save face without any consideration for anyone else. 

If the £12m share money was a) in there before anyway and b) not challenged as part of the charge, any question about it at this point will have to be a new charge?

If it wasn't there before but is now, it's, er, fishy.

But if it was included before but is now contoversial, that's a change of position from the EFL...................

9 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

So I’m confused, as many are I guess, but why would the EFL appeal this? Surely it’s a ruling in their favour at this point? Can Derby appeal this? If both parties can appeal is it a case of fastest finger?

Then if we resubmit & EFL find us guilty of wrongdoing can we then not appeal against that decision, and watch the whole thing go round & round forever? 

My reading of this is that the EFL can appeal the punishment for the accounting practice - ie say that £100k fine should be a points deduction. 

They could also expect to impose a punishment if the reworked accounts breach P&S rules - although I would guess DCFC would appeal (if there is a breach), arguing they would’ve acted differently on buying players etc in those five years had they known it would lead to a breach. 

The lack of timescales is the big problem as the uncertainty prevents any business being done such as the takeover or buying players. 

55 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

What an absolute schizer show!!!

I know Mel has always had the club's best interests at heart, but he really has funked it up.

He has come from the business world where they are not used to having to deal with idiots on a frequent basis 

EFL are digging a bigger hole for themselves. The more they push the more we will appeal. They know that this 'phyrric victory' is to appease the jealous ***** that are wanting us to be relegated. Unfortunately the 'transfer embargo' is their real 'hit' and they will try to screw it as tightly as they can. The longer it goes on the more we will 'suffer'. Complete melts!

14 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Not sure what the “Further issue is how the £12m profit on writing off some shares in 2016 is classified for FFP” bit is all about though…

If even Maguire's saying we're probably fine and there's nothing to worry about, then we must really be fine

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I can’t see how we will comply with the preferred method of amortisation or we would have just used that in the first place.

I'm sure our official explanation is that we switched to this method because we thought it was genuinely a better model for how we consume player assets. 

If you want the tinfoil-hat-on version, then maybe we started out doing this in 2015/16(?) because we thought it would be enough to cover us for any potential losses, but when it turned out not to be enough, we sold the stadium to make up the shortfall.  Now the stadium sale is ratified and included, it's enough on it's own to cover the losses without the amortization change.