Tom Lawrence not in Wales Euro squad

Sean

27 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

Cant understand this, or have i read it wrong, everyone saying get rid, so that would leave us with a squad of 13 players, even if we sold him for 100 mil that money would just sit in the bank as we cant buy players, all we can get is players other clubs dont want

I think even if we could buy and sell, I would keep him. His value is at its lowest right now. He is one of our only attacking outlets as the squad stands. If we pick up, like we all hope, and play better football next season (please!) then Tom’s value will go up again. I’d rather have another season of Tom than grab pittance now that will just go into the black hole. 

1 minute ago, r4derby said:

I think even if we could buy and sell, I would keep him. His value is at its lowest right now. He is one of our only attacking outlets as the squad stands. If we pick up, like we all hope, and play better football next season (please!) then Tom’s value will go up again. I’d rather have another season of Tom than grab pittance now that will just go into the black hole. 

He’s out of contract next year which means his value is likely to be 0 after the summer window closes

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

I know a lot of the time under Wazza it looked like we only had 9 players on the pitch but………………..

...but what? He ain't that good at this level that a fee and his wages gone wouldn't be advantageous to us.

19 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Silly me, I was forgetting our squad is bulging with creativity and goals ?

Lawrence is rubbish 7 times out of 10, scores some goals but isn't the answer constantly making the wrong choices with the ball and being generally crap.

Jozwiak is pretty rubbish as well but atleast he works abit harder and is young so may improve. If we are relying on Jozwiak and Lawrence for goals with thier pitiful goal tallys last season we may as well save money and play the kitman in defence because we will be going down either way. We have to sign a couple of players because if not I think we'll be favourites to go down. 

3 goals and 1 assist Lawrence got last season in 23 games, even if he played all 46 games he would have got 6 goals and 2 assists which for the money we paid for him, his wages and the chances he squanders is still pitiful. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Lawrence is rubbish 7 times out of 10, scores some goals but isn't the answer constantly making the wrong choices with the ball and being generally crap.

Jozwiak is pretty rubbish as well but atleast he works abit harder and is young so may improve. If we are relying on Jozwiak and Lawrence for goals with thier pitiful goal tallys last season we may as well save money and play the kitman in defence because we will be going down either way. We have to sign a couple of players because if not I think we'll be favourites to go down. 

3 goals and 1 assist Lawrence got last season in 23 games, even if he played all 46 games he would have got 6 goals and 2 assists which for the money we paid for him, his wages and the chances he squanders is still pitiful. 

If we are favourites to go down it won’t be because our wingers are the very recently Wales capped Lawrence and the currently playing in the Euros with Poland Jozwiak.

Every football forum in the championship will be saying the same thing about their wingers being frustrating...If either had got 15 goals and 20 assists then they’d be in the prem! 

we barely have any players it is, wanting to get rid of the ones we do is madness.

20 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

If we are favourites to go down it won’t be because our wingers are the very recently Wales capped Lawrence and the currently playing in the Euros with Poland Jozwiak.

Every football forum in the championship will be saying the same thing about their wingers being frustrating...If either had got 15 goals and 20 assists then they’d be in the prem! 

we barely have any players it is, wanting to get rid of the ones we do is madness.

They aren't even getting respectable numbers for goal contributions like 5 goals 6 assists though never mind 15 goals , it's not that they were average its the fact they have played to the standard you expect from a team who finished 21st with one of the worst points totals that has survived. 

Not saying we have to sell them but I wouldn't mind if Lawrence went and either way I'd like us to sign atleast 2 new wingers assuming Ibe won't play, 1 if he can play at a decent level. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Not saying we have to sell them but I wouldn't mind if Lawrence went and either way I'd like us to sign atleast 2 new wingers assuming Ibe won't play, 1 if he can play at a decent level. 

But that's the point, we can't sign 2 new wingers. Even if we could, I don't have the faith in the recruitment team or management of the club to find players better than the outgoing ones

21 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

But that's the point, we can't sign 2 new wingers. Even if we could, I don't have the faith in the recruitment team or management of the club to find players better than the outgoing ones

My concern is that we could sign Messi and our management would still manage to make him look poor. Don't really think it matters who we buy atm

23 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I still believe we will sign a few players regardless of the ownership situation because if we don't with the fact Clarke won't be here and others will leave as well we will have a terrible squad that would make aiming for safety optimistic never mind anything more. Even if its loan signings we won't miss Lawrence that much as there will be players of similar quality on lower wages. 

4 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

ive said this before but if he was consistent hed be in the prem. but he isnt. hes with us. personally id like his contract extended 

If he was any good he would be in the prem. he is average at best, he is at his level. He'll be one of the highest earner,  he we are offered a couple of quid he 'll be off

9 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

They aren't even getting respectable numbers for goal contributions like 5 goals 6 assists though never mind 15 goals , it's not that they were average its the fact they have played to the standard you expect from a team who finished 21st with one of the worst points totals that has survived. 

Lawrence since joining:

17/18 - 14 goals/assists (39 apps)
18/19 - 10 goals/ assists (33 apps)
19/20 - 14 goals/assists (37 apps)
20/21 - 5 goals/assists (23 apps)

Why are you judging him on 1 season?

He gained 5 goal contributions in the final 8 games - that's not someone I'd be looking to replace, especially as the team only scored 10 goals in that period.

He isn’t rubbish, he just isn’t a consistent performer at his best. The best version of him is one of the best players at this level, but let’s not have ideas above our station, if he was consistently at his best, he’d be far too good for us. 

we are what we are, he is what he is, we are a match. 

if you think Derby are too good for Lawrence, you need to put down the crack-pipe and get real. 

Inconsistent for sure, but there's literally nobody else at the club right now who can do what he can when it clicks. The same folk will endlessly moan about him but bar Bielik, it could be argued that no other player was more instrumental in rescuing us from relegation last season than Tom with his end of season form in a team that couldn't beat an egg.

One other thing most are missing . His mind often isnt in a good place , to many moody players im sorry to say in a squad isnt good for a we are all in it together attitude . Im sorry but he should have gone with keogh . Get rid like wales have done . 

6 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

One other thing most are missing . His mind often isnt in a good place , to many moody players im sorry to say in a squad isnt good for a we are all in it together attitude . Im sorry but he should have gone with keogh . Get rid like wales have done . 

? He was certainly showing the right mindset in the end of season run-in ...

I don't think that anyone would seriously claim that we have seen a really effective Lawrence on any consistent basis but he does occasionally have that 'goal out of nothing' capability in a side that is full of huff and puff and honest ineffectual endeavor but lacks quality and goals.

Could we get a more consistent performer from somewhere? Very possibly. Do we have any money to do so ? Nope, not as it stands and high quality attacking options are rarely sat around waiting for clubs to pick them up on a free. I'd like to see Lawrence in a Derby team that was on the front foot bossing games but unfortunately that doesn't seem likely any time soon. His wages will surely be right up there with our top paid players but in a situation where we are unlikely to be able to do anything more than look for freebies and loans, losing him would surely weaken our options ?

The most frustrating thing about Lawrence is that we all know and can see his ability but it rarely comes through in any consistent way and I would agree to keeping him if he had more than a year left on his contract but he doesn’t so it’s sell while we can get money for him if it’s a decent bid. We are yet to hear any rumours that anybody is interested in him which may well be that no one wants to pay any money or his wages.  
personally I think we will still have him come January and then the summer where he will walk away - not a great situation considering the size of our investment