Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I can totally understand the view that we might need to go in a different direction to move the club forward.

There’s a lot to admire about the job Rooney has done - irrespective of whether we stay up or not - but given promotion will be the eventual aim, it’s fair to say that it is a completely different kettle of fish and requires a different level of consistency and ability to get results. The kind of which Rooney and his teams have yet to demonstrate.

Of course, should we stay up, Rooney deserves to stay and every opportunity to move the club forward. It would be unbelievably harsh to part ways. Even I, as someone who isn’t in favour of Rooney, would have to say the achievement would be outstanding and Rooney would deserve total and complete backing.

However if we do go down, there is an argument for making a change, having a clean slate, and appointing someone that is more familiar with League 1 football and knows what it takes to succeed in the division and turn the club around. Harsh too, but this position I could understand.

I think showing Wazza the door would be very harsh. Let’s give him the chance to shape the team he wants next season, be that mainly with free agents and free transfers….

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think showing Wazza the door would be very harsh. Let’s give him the chance to shape the team he wants next season, be that mainly with free agents and free transfers….

Harsh, yes, but sometimes the harshest decisions can be the most fruitful ones.

I think if he continues in the position, he’ll get all the encouragement and support he warrants.

But I wouldn’t blame the new ownership group if they went in a different direction should we end up in League 1.

13 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I can totally understand the view that we might need to go in a different direction to move the club forward.

There’s a lot to admire about the job Rooney has done - irrespective of whether we stay up or not - but given promotion will be the eventual aim, it’s fair to say that it is a completely different kettle of fish and requires a different level of consistency and ability to get results. The kind of which Rooney and his teams have yet to demonstrate.

Of course, should we stay up, Rooney deserves to stay and every opportunity to move the club forward. It would be unbelievably harsh to part ways. Even I, as someone who isn’t in favour of Rooney, would have to say the achievement would be outstanding and Rooney would deserve total and complete backing.

However if we do go down, there is an argument for making a change, having a clean slate, and appointing someone that is more familiar with League 1 football and knows what it takes to succeed in the division and turn the club around. Harsh too, but this position I could understand.

Fully agree. 

Rooney should never have got the job, should never have kept after last season. Ultimately, he's profited from a void in ownership that's allowed him to churn any result out he wants and them going unscrutinised.

With Rooney moving forward:

1) If we stay up, he deserves to stay in the job because he will have produced excellent results to have done so.

2) If we go down but with the 21 points back on, would have stayed up then I'd give him the first 10 games or so in L1 and see what he can do. 

3) If he takes us down and even with 21 on we would be bottom 3, sack him. 

Option 2 seems most likely. My issue is 75 games with 27ish percent win rate is awful. I'm not sure how much is down to the circumstances of the club, and how much is Rooney and his lack of experience and ability. 

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Harsh, yes, but sometimes the harshest decisions can be the most fruitful ones.

I think if he continues in the position, he’ll get all the encouragement and support he warrants.

But I wouldn’t blame the new ownership group if they went in a different direction should we end up in League 1.

I think it sends a horrific and disgusting message out to any member of the playing or coaching staff if we treated Rooney so despicably after his commitment to our cause. 

when we look at basket case clubs treating managers like poo, we always hope they fail, like Watford, and get what they deserve. Binning off Rooney without him ever having a chance to build his own team, would be a treacherous snake act and Derby would deserve to suffer. 

19 minutes ago, RealisticRam said:

Fully agree. 

Rooney should never have got the job, should never have kept after last season. Ultimately, he's profited from a void in ownership that's allowed him to churn any result out he wants and them going unscrutinised.

With Rooney moving forward:

1) If we stay up, he deserves to stay in the job because he will have produced excellent results to have done so.

2) If we go down but with the 21 points back on, would have stayed up then I'd give him the first 10 games or so in L1 and see what he can do. 

3) If he takes us down and even with 21 on we would be bottom 3, sack him. 

Option 2 seems most likely. My issue is 75 games with 27ish percent win rate is awful. I'm not sure how much is down to the circumstances of the club, and how much is Rooney and his lack of experience and ability. 

Looks like you’ve found a friend Jourdan maybe you should get a room?

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think it sends a horrific and disgusting message out to any member of the playing or coaching staff if we treated Rooney so despicably after his commitment to our cause. 

when we look at basket case clubs treating managers like poo, we always hope they fail, like Watford, and get what they deserve. Binning off Rooney without him ever having a chance to build his own team, would be a treacherous snake act and Derby would deserve to suffer. 

Agree, but without the Derby suffering bit, we’ve had enough of that already ?

28 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If we go down, our first priority should be to stay up. It sounds unbelievably negative but there's a serious risk of us sinking like a stone. I think keeping Rooney would be the best choice while we stabilise. 

Unless we get a -15 point deduction, no-one will be thinking about survival in League 1.

If League 1 is in our future, then we’ll all be looking to bounce back as quickly as possible, surely?

I am not saying that sticking with Rooney in League 1 would be a disaster. Indeed it might help to maintain the spirit and the togetherness between fans, players and staff and indeed steady the ship.

However the impact of relegation and coming so near but so far could have a hangover effect on the existing coaching set up and any remaining members of the squad.

When you bear that in mind, having an experienced hand with a track record and knowledge of the lower leagues could be an equally shrewd choice - to take on the task with fresh eyes and a clean slate.

Rooney doesn’t know the division, and like it or not, he will put a target on our backs from the opposition and have to handle growing expectation from our own fans too.

Getting to grips with League 1 could be more difficult than survival in the Championship for the sheer fact that what he is experiencing now is a no-lose situation. Next season could be very different.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Unless we get a -15 point deduction, no-one will be thinking about survival in League 1.

If League 1 is in our future, then we’ll all be looking to bounce back as quickly as possible, surely?

I am not saying that sticking with Rooney in League 1 would be a disaster. Indeed it might help to maintain the spirit and the togetherness between fans, players and staff and indeed steady the ship.

However the impact of relegation and coming so near but so far could have a hangover effect on the existing coaching set up and any remaining members of the squad.

When you bear that in mind, having an experienced hand with a track record and knowledge of the lower leagues could be an equally shrewd choice - to take on the task with fresh eyes and a clean slate.

Rooney doesn’t know the division, and like it or not, he will put a target on our backs from the opposition and have to handle growing expectation from our own fans too.

Getting to grips with League 1 could be more difficult than survival in the Championship for the sheer fact that what he is experiencing now is a no-lose situation. Next season could be very different.

People won’t be talking about relegation to League Two, but I think that’s due to complacency.

If we go down we’re realistically going to lose pretty much all of our best players, and we’ll probably be suffering from the stereotypical relegation hangover. I certainly don’t think we’ll bounce straight back up.

31 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Treacherous? Despicable? Don’t be dramatic.

This is modern football. Managerial changes are part and parcel of the game. Managers know that. Players know that.

I don’t see what would be so questionable about it myself.

Would it be a gamble? Yes. Would it be a risk? Yes. But if we won our first ten games under a new manager and took to League 1 like a duck to water, fans would come around to the idea.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I hope those wishing Rooney out of the door won't also be the same ones condemning his disloyalty if he decides to take a better job after the end of the season whilst his stock is high.

If Rooney takes another job, good luck to him.

I think the reason why Lampard and Rowett were condemned is because they left jobs unfinished and left the club in the lurch.

Rooney? I think he has given the job everything and no-one would blame him for taking on a different challenge.

19 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Treacherous? Despicable? Don’t be dramatic.

This is modern football. Managerial changes are part and parcel of the game. Managers know that. Players know that.

I don’t see what would be so questionable about it myself.

Would it be a gamble? Yes. Would it be a risk? Yes. But if we won our first ten games under a new manager and took to League 1 like a duck to water, fans would come around to the idea.

IF is the important word though.

I do agree that football fans generally are a very fickle bunch, and if Rooney lost the first few matches on the trot there would be calls for him to go. I do however feel that he has earned the right to a fair chance to rebuild the club from the bottom up like he said he wants to whatever division we are in. Surely with the loyalty and dignity  he has shown us this season he deserves that chance.

5 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

IF is the important word though.

It goes both ways though.

Sticking with Rooney brings no guarantees either.

It will be interesting to see how things develop.

If Rooney and Rosenior guide us to safety, it would be an incredible achievement and one which will garner admiration and respect from all directions.

If they bring us back up from League 1, it might end up being an even bigger achievement.

17 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It goes both ways though.

Sticking with Rooney brings no guarantees either.

It will be interesting to see how things develop.

If Rooney and Rosenior guide us to safety, it would be an incredible achievement and one which will garner admiration and respect from all directions.

If they bring us back up from League 1, it might end up being an even bigger achievement.

The old saying if is the longest word in the dictionary is true, weve just got to believe he can do it and no ifs.??

Rooney not only deserves to stay. He deserves a statue if they stay up. This team will be in footballing history if they pull off the impossible. He also deserves to be backed and I fully trust him to 1. Bring in the right players and characters and 2. Not spend stupid amounts of money