The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Not read the whole thread but have to say impressed with people's views over the past couple of pages - thoughtful and considered.  Personally I'm keen to get back to normal, or whatever the new normal is however, living in a vulnerable household I shall remain cautious. No more snogging strangers, and like someone has already mentioned, I'll choose an outdoor seat at the pub where possible!  I know of two people personally who are refusing to take their jabs - mainly on the basis they are concerned about long term affects.  One to be fair is now leaning toward having it (I'm glad as she's a good friend of the family), the other remains strongly in the no camp and is adamant he'll do whatever he likes: #@$*!.   I have my 2nd jab end of this month and I can't wait.  

In my view it's important we continue to work toward getting back to some sense of normality, for our well-being, the economy - a whole host of reasons.  It does need everyone though to still be cognizant that it's not all rosy, some remain vulnerable and not to ignore all risks.  What worries me is people have short memories and will be fairly blasé once they feel they're unshackled.  Same goes with holidays abroad - we've chose to completely veto the idea this year, much as I'd love to spend two weeks next to a pool sipping a Mai Tai. I've been somewhat surprised at a few people I know who are jumping on planes at the first opportunity.  Personal choice I know but for me, we're not yet on top of this, and most definitely not across Europe. For me this summer / autumn remains a bit of a test case - next year will be where things hopefully go back to some semblance of where we were pre-Covid. 

I really look forward to getting back out there, but strongly hope people remain sensible - possibly a vain hope. 

9 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Not read the whole thread but have to say impressed with people's views over the past couple of pages - thoughtful and considered.  Personally I'm keen to get back to normal, or whatever the new normal is however, living in a vulnerable household I shall remain cautious. No more snogging strangers, and like someone has already mentioned, I'll choose an outdoor seat at the pub where possible!  I know of two people personally who are refusing to take their jabs - mainly on the basis they are concerned about long term affects.  One to be fair is now leaning toward having it (I'm glad as she's a good friend of the family), the other remains strongly in the no camp and is adamant he'll do whatever he likes: #@$*!.   I have my 2nd jab end of this month and I can't wait.  

In my view it's important we continue to work toward getting back to some sense of normality, for our well-being, the economy - a whole host of reasons.  It does need everyone though to still be cognizant that it's not all rosy, some remain vulnerable and not to ignore all risks.  What worries me is people have short memories and will be fairly blasé once they feel they're unshackled.  Same goes with holidays abroad - we've chose to completely veto the idea this year, much as I'd love to spend two weeks next to a pool sipping a Mai Tai. I've been somewhat surprised at a few people I know who are jumping on planes at the first opportunity.  Personal choice I know but for me, we're not yet on top of this, and most definitely not across Europe. For me this summer / autumn remains a bit of a test case - next year will be where things hopefully go back to some semblance of where we were pre-Covid. 

I really look forward to getting back out there, but strongly hope people remain sensible - possibly a vain hope. 

If you're in a vulnerable group or over 50 you can bring your 2nd jab forward from after 11/12 weeks to after 8 (not the chocolate!).

If you're aware of how the virus is transmitted - aerosol - then sitting outside in the sun is a good idea. Getting on a plane is also fairly safe because of the way they filter the air (owing to having to deal with smoking years ago). The worst bit of it all will probably be coming back to the UK airports if they don't sort out the 'traffic lights' and Border Control.

We went to Kefalonia last September, felt perfectly safe. Didn't go to any discos mind.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think those two sentences are key.

The scientists are by far the most qualified people to be tackling the virus, but you wonder whether they're factoring other things like the economy, mental health, jobs, etc, into their calculations? I'd hope so.

To take an extreme example, allowing people to do normal things like drive cars inevitably kills people because it leads to car crashes. But the view is taken that the benefits of cars massively outweigh those deaths (as brutal as that sounds), which means driving is allowed.

Those kinds of calculations will be made every day with government policy, hospital funding, etc. The fact that people's lives are reduced to numbers sounds horrific, but it's essential to making the right decisions.

I'd be interested to know if the scientists have assigned a value to things like the economy and mental health (both of also which cause deaths when going badly) and weighed that up against the deaths that reopening would inevitably cause. I presume they have.

meant for the scientists to figure out the advice they offer the Government.

I don't expect, not would I want them to, set policy.

Extreme examples like that serve little purpose other than for poorly informed people (not you btw) to say 'Ha! What about that then. You never thought of that did you?'

Neutropenic patients WILL die if given the vaccine, nobody is likely to die getting into a car under normal circumstances and when viewed statistically.

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Neutropenic patients WILL die if given the vaccine, nobody is likely to die getting into a car under normal circumstances and when viewed statistically.

How long do they stay neutropenic?

8 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

meant for the scientists to figure out the advice they offer the Government.

I don't expect, not would I want them to, set policy.

Extreme examples like that serve little purpose other than for poorly informed people (not you btw) to say 'Ha! What about that then. You never thought of that did you?'

Ah, I misinterpreted your original post slightly.

When you said 'People will literally die', I assumed you meant as a result of loosening the restrictions, in which case the extreme example served a point.

I now realise you meant certain people will die if given the vaccine. 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're presuming I know what I'm talking about and not just regurgitating something my wife told me.

I just messaged her said 'Help I'm in a conversation and out of my depth, can you bail me out and make me look smart?'

Sadly and selfishly I can only presume she's dealing with oncology patients so hasn't responded yet.

I'll get back to you.

Just now, Bob The Badger said:

You're presuming I know what I'm talking about and not just regurgitating something my wife told me.

I just messaged her said 'Help I'm in a conversation and out of my depth, can you bail me out and make me look smart?'

Sadly and selfishly I can only presume she's dealing with oncology patients so hasn't responded yet.

I'll get back to you.

Ah okay, I only had a quick Google of the term - if you will use big words! - and it seemed variable. I wondered if they could get the vaccine after 'a while'. But still no vaccine is 100%. I've lost track of the point now, was there one? ? I think cautious is fine, but this is starting to seem paranoid, it was meant to be about protecting the NHS originally?

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sorry, somebody hacked my account above.

How long you say?

Well, obviously it's only usually about 10 days and we give them growth hormone to stimulate white cell production. We recommend that they have the vaccine before a chemo cycle.

None of the above was copy and pasted from Facebook Messenger, it's just what I knew.  

What I meant to say was this.

I'm taking a screenshot of my Messenger conversation purely because it's quicker than typing as I already just told a friend this and don't want to keep explaining myself to laypeople. 

It's me on the left and my thick mate on the right.

2021-05-19_11-58-51.jpg

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Wahoo !!! And sky News posting something positive I don’t believe my eyes 

But weren't all those people tested as negative before they went in?. Were they expecting the virus to spontaneously appear?.

I don't quite get that. It's not comparing like with like.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

But weren't all those people tested as negative before they went in?. Were they expecting the virus to spontaneously appear?.

Agree with you. but it these events return results like this then it all goes towards opening up in June. Getting us back in these events and more importantly in the Football grounds. 

36 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Yes but the test aren't 100% are they? What's the percent of the UK with covid?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

If you're in a vulnerable group or over 50 you can bring your 2nd jab forward from after 11/12 weeks to after 8 (not the chocolate!).

Just looked into this, albeit very briefly.  (I'm over 50, not vulnerable, and 2nd jab booked for 10th June).

The actual wording on the booking site is highlighted in yellow, and reads as follows, so I didn't pursue beyond that:

Important
We'll be contacting some people directly to bring forward their appointment for the 2nd dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
This is so people at greater risk of getting seriously ill due to coronavirus can get maximum protection earlier.
Please wait to be contacted if you think you're in this group.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

10 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Just looked into this, albeit very briefly.  (I'm over 50, not vulnerable, and 2nd jab booked for 10th June).

The actual wording on the booking site is highlighted in yellow, and reads as follows, so I didn't pursue beyond that:

Important
We'll be contacting some people directly to bring forward their appointment for the 2nd dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
This is so people at greater risk of getting seriously ill due to coronavirus can get maximum protection earlier.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Fair enough. We changed the date for ours, to after 8 weeks - felt it was our duty as we were being encouraged to get vaccinated asap to help against the Indian variant.

An interesting quote here from the Beeb (so it must be true):

And data that is now emerging is tentatively pointing towards the Indian variant having less of an advantage over the UK variant.

Cases are not spreading quite as fast in the hotspot areas – positivity rates are in fact falling Bolton.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57168021

Edited by RoyMac5

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Important

On the advice of my sister who works at a vaccination center and said I'd get in, I canceled my 2nd jab for Bank Holiday Monday because we have friends coming to stay 2 days later and I didn't want to risk feeling crap.

I then went online to rebook and basically it was 'when can you come?'

That was Sunday and there were openings literally every morning and afternoon from Monday onwards.

So I went and had it this morning and was in and out in 10 minutes tops.

I'm in Cornwall, but my sister is in Derby and she says it's the same there.