Derby County on this day

derby8

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

It was always the case mate, the police used to make easy arrests rather than risk having to deal with the real hard guys.

The times I've witnessed organised gangs tearing into each other with zero arrests then seen a few pish heads getting banged up for nowt more than a sing song.

Not that you aren't a real hard guy obvs....or a pish head for that matter.....oh bugger.....

In all seriousness, I'd agree. 

It was an art in itself to steer clear of trouble from oppo and police! Colours always hidden until inside the ground.  Different world to today... thankfully!
Witnessed (and was on the periphery) of all sorts of scrapes and scuffles, particularly as I went to many (virtually all) away games from 77 to 81.
Being on "independent transport", as opposed to official club coaches, undoubtedly didn't help.  There was always a pub stop or two on our travels too.

Don't get me wrong, I was gobby (in a sing song sort of way) but certainly no fighter.    Probably done the equivalent of a fair few marathons over that period.  Always chased, and never the chaser, mind!  ?

If truth be told, I probably did well to stay out of the cells for so long!  ...And hospitals, for that matter!  ?  

?

22 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

We needed a win to guarantee safety, if I recall?  Anyway, despite heading to the game, I never got there...

39 years ago today then, when I suffered my one and only arrest!  ?

Got ambushed by their lot up by Ivy Square (Pre match), and before any actual fists made contact, a police van screeched to a halt, and they grabbed anyone who wasn't fast enough to escape!  About 8 of them, and 4 of us were in a face off.  4 of their lot got nabbed... and little old me!  ?

Spent 3 or 4 hours in the cells (Cotton Lane), and not allowed out until well after the game/fans had dispersed.

Unofficially, I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and got set upon.
Officially, I was charged with Breach of the peace, fined £80, and was named and shamed in the DET on the Monday, in the "More football hooligans in court today" column!

I was very strongly advised to plead guilty, as this was around the time Maggie had simply had enough, and this sort of crap was getting more and more "Front page".  Anyone pleading not guilty stood to be made an example of, once the courts decided otherwise!

To clarify... I am not proud, of course, and certainly not bragging, but as I see myself as an innocent/unlucky victim, neither am I ashamed.

R-400522-1230904272.jpeg.jpg.41ad12598a03bd9d55ca5dbff0c6dc2c.jpg

16 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

You can't explain to people nowadays how that walk was from the ground to the station (rail in my case). It really was another world. 

Luckily for me (and the opposition fans ?) I always went the other way (Normanton) so saw very little trouble. A couple of near escapes at away grounds, but fortunately never got into trouble.

30 minutes ago, OUTSIDER said:

An eventful night 

Screenshot_20210518-095211.jpg

Sort of great day. Listened on the radio, Richards at his best. Then remember driving the 120 mile round trip to the BBG early morning to try and get 2 tickets for the final, one for me and 1 for my bruv who was working. Only would let me have 1 and my brother was then mugged off by a tout outside Wembley and ended up in with the Fester fans. He said when they scored their winner it was the loudest noise he had ever witnessed at a footie match...we were robbed.....

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is that when Radio Derby had their car turned over?

yes, we was parked about 5 cars away, we heard that this happened and thought F@ck ... remember at start they all going 

Over It GIF by pronoun

and singing you wont make it to the train station lol 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, superzak said:

How did we win this one and lose to QPR lol

You obviously weren't there - we were the better side in that match. This myth of it being a smash and grab raid is just wrong.

For the QPR game we didn't take our chances, particularly early on (Mr Russell, talking about you) and got punished. That's football...

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

You obviously weren't there - we were the better side in that match. They started well and we were undoubtedly under the cosh for the first twenty but we also had our chances (Pesch). However, this myth of it being a smash and grab raid is just wrong.

For the QPR game we didn't take our chances, particularly early on (Mr Russell, talking about you) and got punished. That's football...

Edited by BaaLocks
Quoted rather than edited - oh well...

5 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

You obviously weren't there - we were the better side in that match. This myth of it being a smash and grab raid is just wrong.

I was there, we were slightly fortunate to win the game. I have probably watched it 5 times...

On 16/05/2021 at 00:49, uttoxram75 said:

You can't explain to people nowadays how that walk was from the ground to the station (rail in my case). It really was another world. 

I was in Derby on Saturday and took a drive to the old BBG then drove the walk back to the station we used to take. 

Always in the Grange pre-match then a run back to the station past the Grange to catch the train back to LE.  Each game never seemed to pass without some form of incident.  Those narrow streets around the old ground.  Must have been very daunting for an away supporter if you somehow finished up parking in the wrong place.  Really miss the old girl,  RIP BBG.

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace 

33 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I was there, we were slightly fortunate to win the game. I have probably watched it 5 times...

Mears did two tackles on Koumas that are world class. That's not fortunate, it's great defending. Besides that Philips hit the bar and Kamara threatened a bit first half. But we defended well and made sure nothing came of it. Strangely, for a team that was so awful in defence the season after, that day we were majestic across the back, not fortunate.