Derby County on this day

derby8

11 minutes ago, jameso said:

I'm reading the more advanced one as a Plaskett. 

Shows what I know:

Harry Plackett 

Lawrence Plackett ("Lol" Plackett - he was ahead of his time!)

From WIkipedia:

"Lol Plackett made his Football League and Club debut on 8 September 1888, playing as a forward, at Pike's Lane, the then home of Bolton Wanderers. Derby County defeated the home team 6–3 and Lol Plackett scored the fourth and sixth goals. Lol Plackett appeared in all of the 22 League matches played by Derby County in season 1888–89 and scored seven League goals. Lol Plackett was the only Derby County player in season 1888–89 to play in all 22 League matches. As a forward (seven appearances) he played in a forward–line that scored three–League–goals–or–more on two occasions. As a winger (15 appearances) he played in a midfield that achieved big (three–League–goals–or–more) wins on two occasions. Of the seven League goals scored, two came in one match, on the opening day.

Lol Plackett was not retained for the 1889–1890 season and moved to Nottingham Forest."

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, jameso said:

I'm reading the more advanced one as a Plaskett. 

I thought that at first glance but look more closely, it's the stylish handwriting.

Also, it's not that one is more advanced than the other - they played 2-3-5 in those days but couldn't fit 5 names on a line.

Unless it was usual to scribe the inside forwards (or the wingers) on the line above.

So, maybe 2-3-5 does equate more to:

• 3 central defenders
  • 2 wingbacks (centre half, left half, right half)
  • 2 midfielders (inside forwards)
  • 3 attackers - CF and two wide men

Nah, I don't believe they had wingbacks. Full backs, back in the day, would never cross the half way line until the second half and their only instruction was to boot the ball - or opposition winger, whichever was closest - as hard as possible.

Even terms "half-back" and "full back" indicate where they were on the pitch.

Edited by IslandExile

11 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Also, it's not that one is more advanced than the other - they played 2-3-5 in those days but couldn't fit 5 names on a line.

Either way presumably someone had incredible results on Championship Manager 1888 to even think of playing a 2-3-5. And it obviously caught on.

On 04/09/2022 at 18:34, loweman2 said:

So on September 3rd 1888 some 134 years ago, at the @bellhotelderby Mr William Morley and his board picked the @dcfcofficial team for the very first football league match a few days later V Bolton, what a moment in time ! 
What a piece of history #dcfcfans

91EE2099-3CFB-4011-96A2-59BC2F6D1160.jpeg

Bit generous to give 10 bob for either win or draw, i'd have offered 10/- win, 7/6d for draw, 5/- for close defeat, bugger all for a hammering, 2 goal margin or worse..

The two either side of the Centre-Half were called Wing-Halfs (individually LH & RH). They traditionally played wider than the FBs. At junior school we had a couple of sets of shirts that had the initials of each position stitched onto the backs. They looked (and smelt) like they dated back to the 1920s.

Edited by Crewton

23 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The two either side of the Centre-Half were called Wing-Halfs (individually LH & RH). They traditionally played wider than the FBs. At junior school we had a couple of sets of shirts that had the initials of each position stitched onto the backs. They looked (and smelt) like they dated back to the 1920s.

Bet you played with a lace up case ball as well and wore the round toed boots ?

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Bet you played with a lace up case ball as well and wore the round toed boots ?

How did you guess? ??

Fortunately, we got both modern footballs that didn't put on several lbs in weight in the wet and boots that were more shaped to the human foot before the end of Primary School. Those shirts were still in the stockroom when I left though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...