Derby County on this day

derby8

I was there for the Liverpool game. Was standing as a 9 year old at the Ossie end behind the goal but before kick off was being crushed so was moved to the Normanton end at 255pm however was made to stop walking around by a steward on the half way line as right in front of me Liverpool came out of the changing rooms....so exciting Keegan, Toshack, Clemence, Hughes etc.. to cap it all off was right behind the goal when Derby scored the winner. The noise when Derby scored was amazing.

The Liverpool game was my 18th birthday, I hadn't got a ticket but a neighbour who was a steward gave me a complimentary ticket, only problem was it was in the away end. It was at the height of the hooligan problem but I still decided to go anyway. I stood right in the middle of the scouser's not dareing to speak and I remember just nodding once when the bloke next to me asked me my opinion. They were worried when big Rog came on for Leighton James and of course he justified his super sub tag with the goal. It was difficult but I had to feign disapointment with the rest of them around me when the goal went in but inside I was secretly elated.

26 January 1946, Derby County 1 WBA 0, Doherty, FAC.

First season after the war, FAC played over 2 legs, except Wembley final. Derby County beat Luton, WBA, Brighton, Aston Villa, Birmingham to reach the final.

Then 75 years ago won the FAC for the only time, Derby County 4 Charlton Athletic 1.

edit, the SF was also one leg but needed a replay.

Edited by derby8

On 25/01/2021 at 04:48, Carl Sagan said:

On 25th January, 1992, the Rams beat Burnley 2-0 in an FA Cup third round replay at the Baseball Ground, played at the second attempt after the original match was abandoned due to fog. 

Still remember that Paterson goal before the fog came down. Absolute screamer.

The Burnley fans never stopped singing that night including all the way through half-time and after the game was called off.

Edited by Robert Earnshaws Workrate

On 25/01/2021 at 20:14, Richard Dastard Lee said:

I went to that game at Bury as well, there was more away fans than home fans and both sets of supporters changed ends at half time, we walked down one side of the pitch and they walked down the other side!

Football games are a great way to organise your memories. I have no idea what I did on any day in January 1969 apart from the 25th when, like you, I was in Bury to watch the Rams.

Only two memories remain from that day. I can remember waiting for a bus, I think, after the game near the Bury ground when a bus full of rival fans went by. There was a bit of light hearted booing but nothing unpleasant. The second memory was of standing in the corridor of a train listing to the conversation of some men who'd got seats. One of them was reading a paper and he exclaimed with astonishment that Swindon had scored 11 or something like that. His friends all started laughing when he realised that he had misread Swinton the rugby league team.

I don't know why pointless memories like that have stuck in my mind while everything useful has long been forgotten.

Another memory I have from the Bury game is speaking to a lad who was a Spurs supporter and had come up from London to see Dave Mackay playing for us. Mackay suferred a head injury and had to be substituted. He said 'He's got a cut behind his ear' to me in his cockney accent which I was totally unfamiliar with and I heard 'He's got a cat behind his ear'. I spent ages trying to work out why Dave would have a cat behind his ear!

4 hours ago, Richard Dastard Lee said:

Another memory I have from the Bury game is speaking to a lad who was a Spurs supporter and had come up from London to see Dave Mackay playing for us. Mackay suferred a head injury and had to be substituted. He said 'He's got a cut behind his ear' to me in his cockney accent which I was totally unfamiliar with and I heard 'He's got a cat behind his ear'. I spent ages trying to work out why Dave would have a cat behind his ear!

So, just to clarify, you thought Dave Mackay had "a cat behind his ear?" 

We're you not feline very well that day? ?