Derby County on this day

derby8

2 hours ago, derby8 said:

15 May 1982, Derby County 3 Watford 2, Kevin Hector scores in his final game.

We needed a win to guarantee safety, if I recall?  Anyway, despite heading to the game, I never got there...

39 years ago today then, when I suffered my one and only arrest!  ?

Got ambushed by their lot up by Ivy Square (Pre match), and before any actual fists made contact, a police van screeched to a halt, and they grabbed anyone who wasn't fast enough to escape!  About 8 of them, and 4 of us were in a face off.  4 of their lot got nabbed... and little old me!  ?

Spent 3 or 4 hours in the cells (Cotton Lane), and not allowed out until well after the game/fans had dispersed.

Unofficially, I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and got set upon.
Officially, I was charged with Breach of the peace, fined £80, and was named and shamed in the DET on the Monday, in the "More football hooligans in court today" column!

I was very strongly advised to plead guilty, as this was around the time Maggie had simply had enough, and this sort of crap was getting more and more "Front page".  Anyone pleading not guilty stood to be made an example of, once the courts decided otherwise!

To clarify... I am not proud, of course, and certainly not bragging, but as I see myself as an innocent/unlucky victim, neither am I ashamed.

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

We needed a win to guarantee safety, if I recall?  Anyway, despite heading to the game, I never got there...

Got ambushed by their lot up by Ivy Square (Pre match), and before any actual fists made contact, a police van screeched to a halt, and they grabbed anyone who wasn't fast enough to escape!  About 8 of them, and 4 of us were in a face off.  4 of their lot got nabbed... and little old me!  ?

Spent 3 or 4 hours in the cells (Cotton Lane), and not allowed out until well after the game/fans had dispersed.

Officially, I was charged with Breach of the peace, fined £80, and was named and shamed in the DET on the Monday, in the "More football hooligans in court today" column!

I was very strongly advised to plead guilty, as this was around the time Maggie had simply had enough, and this sort of crap was getting more and more "Front page".  Anyone pleading not guilty stood to be made an example of, once the courts decided otherwise!

To clarify... I am not proud, of course, and certainly not bragging, but as I see myself as an innocent/unlucky victim, neither am I ashamed.

That's very harsh and it is the story of an innocent being punished for the acts of others.

I do miss the baseball ground.

I do not miss the walk/run back to the bus station.

1 minute ago, C-stand said:

I bought the shirt he wore that game at auction a few years ago.

20210515_224747.jpg

Is it number '8'? I seem to remember that when Zak came back from Canada for his second spell, mostly playing in midfield, he wore that number a lot. Seemed strange not seeing the number '10' on his back.

6 minutes ago, C-stand said:

It's number 7.

Cheers. I was at that game, in fact season ticket holder in the Popside Pen, Zak was my favourite player of all time but I'm ashamed to say my memory of the shirt numbers has let me down. Nevertheless, I still think he played number 8 for a lot of the games that year.

Edited by IslandExile

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Bloody hooligan, darkening the good name of our football club.

5 hours ago, IslandExile said:

That's very harsh and it is the story of an innocent being punished for the acts of others.

I do miss the baseball ground.

I do not miss the walk/run back to the bus station.

You can't explain to people nowadays how that walk was from the ground to the station (rail in my case). It really was another world. 

6 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

It was always the case mate, the police used to make easy arrests rather than risk having to deal with the real hard guys.

The times I've witnessed organised gangs tearing into each other with zero arrests then seen a few pish heads getting banged up for nowt more than a sing song.

Not that you aren't a real hard guy obvs....or a pish head for that matter.....oh bugger.....