Derby County on this day

derby8

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

What a day this was in 1996. August 17 saw our first Premier League match, and one with quite a finish. You didn't want to leave early to beat the traffic! 

The fan of today would say, terrible marking for their goals. We only got a draw because of two lucky breaks. The players should do better. They need better coaching.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The fan of today would say, terrible marking for their goals. We only got a draw because of two lucky breaks. The players should do better. They need better coaching.

How very true…. Too many expect our level of football to be of equal quality to that which we are accustomed to watching on TV and have become unable to grasp or acknowledge the chasm in quality and consistency.

It has been mentioned before, if a Championship quality player didn’t make as many mistakes, then they would be in The Premiership.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

What a day this was in 1996. August 17 saw our first Premier League match, and one with quite a finish. You didn't want to leave early to beat the traffic! 

I do think tweets like this are a bit of an insult to the history of Derby County, who played at the very highest level of English football for decades before "The Premier League" was even thought of! 

Football wasn't invented in 1992.

I was in the C stand that season, what a great day that was !!!! I got a smack round the head for shouting “get Gabby off” I was right though he was having a stinker, we scored 3 after he went off. The bloke apologised for the smack ?

Special day indeed. My first game as a season ticket holder and I think my 3rd or 4th ever rams game as a 12 year year old. I’d been an avid Radio Derby listener from the age of 8 onwards.

I was in the popside. Highlight for me (other than Deano’s two beauties) was Dean Yates kicking Brian Deane in the baalocks and Deane had to go off. Sadly Yates didn’t play much that season after that, what a player he would’ve been without his injury problems

16 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Special day indeed. My first game as a season ticket holder and I think my 3rd or 4th ever rams game as a 12 year year old. I’d been an avid Radio Derby listener from the age of 8 onwards.

I was in the popside. Highlight for me (other than Deano’s two beauties) was Dean Yates kicking Brian Deane in the baalocks and Deane had to go off. Sadly Yates didn’t play much that season after that, what a player he would’ve been without his injury problems

It was Dwight Yorke I think that did Yates in, if I remember right he was playing for Villa and Yates had done Collymore, so Yorke got him back with a terrible tackle. I’m sure they high fived after it laughing as well and Yates didn’t really play again. 
Im sure that’s what happened, or I may of just dreamt it !

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

It was Dwight Yorke I think that did Yates in, if I remember right he was playing for Villa and Yates had done Collymore, so Yorke got him back with a terrible tackle. I’m sure they high fived after it laughing as well and Yates didn’t really play again. 

Can’t remember collymore playing in that game, he must’ve just joined from Liverpool if so (he scored a cracker at the BBG against us previous season, Darryl Powell got sent off) 

But you’re quite right Yorke did finish Yates’s career at Derby with that tackle. What made it even worse is he scored a 90th minute winner, our first league defeat ever at Pride Park and the last team to lose its unbeaten home record in the premier league that season (end of Feb I think it was). They were the days in my rams supporting life anyway.

Back to Yates, he had lots of injury struggles both prior to joining us and during . The first prem season he was out for ages,  came back following season at PP and had a run of games before Yorke finished him, don’t know if he played anywhere else after that?

On 17/08/2021 at 12:00, TexasRam said:

You are correct and hence why there was much glee when Collymore broke his leg ( with no one near ) on his next visit to PP with Fester. A truly odious person 

6 hours ago, EraniosSocks said:

What a game and what a lovely team to watch 

Without a doubt the best period of being a Derby fan. Not the most accomplished team, but more often than not electric when they got rolling. October 2013 to February 2015 was an entertaining time to be a Derby fan, perhaps more so than any point since we won the old division 1 - for pure entertainment. 

136 goals, 139 points in 69 game league spell. We know what happened in March 2015 and onwards, but that was such a great time to be a Derby fan! 

6 hours ago, Saul said:

23rd August 1975

Rams 1 QPR 5.

My 1st ever game as a glory hunting 7 year old, sat in the Normanton upper.

Still came back for more punishment though.

I've been trying to get hold of The Ram for a while now, for some reason it was missing from my Dad's collection.

Thanks for posting that Saul. It was my first ever game too and I glad that the subsequent 46 years of failure are not all down to me!!

41 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Without a doubt the best period of being a Derby fan. Not the most accomplished team, but more often than not electric when they got rolling. October 2013 to February 2015 was an entertaining time to be a Derby fan, perhaps more so than any point since we won the old division 1 - for pure entertainment. 

136 goals, 139 points in 69 game league spell. We know what happened in March 2015 and onwards, but that was such a great time to be a Derby fan! 

Totally agree with everything you said there mate. 

I’m 30, can’t remember much of the 90s just the odd bits and highlights. But that Mac team had so much swagger, confidence and played some marvellous football. Hopefully one day we will see this again at PP.