Is this Rooney's team or McClaren?

Day

On 21/12/2020 at 13:51, kevinhectoring said:

The danger - if WR is appointed as permanent manager - is he insists on having his own coaching team (Fletcher etc)   That would be very concerning because as you say the current team is working well. And because I'm not sure Rooney yet has the experience to pick a coaching team that will give him the support he needs.  We want stability to the end of the season

Really don’t get this , any manager wants and needs his own coaching staff round him, how do you know we wouldn’t improve vastly with Wayne’s own team in place? One of Ferguson s great strengths was bringing in coaches and he knew how and when to change it up when things got stale 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

You are so easily pulled by the media. One article and you’re sat there worried he’ll change his coaching set up. Lol. Genuinely I feel sorry for you. 

I've not seen any media on this, but  had two diametrically opposed responses - yours and one from @Archied 

I think it's concerning so here's why I raised it

1. We should expect WR to want (to demand?) his own team. He has had early success as a manager, he will now feel confident,  and he is surrounded by cronies who will encourage him to do his own thing - some of them might benefit financially if he insists on his own team. 

2 But a change of team is concerning: The current team is working. Change destabilises, is risky and will be expensive. SM clearly has some influence on WR and he has years of experience and WR has NONE. LR has skills that complement WR's and he was willing to be demoted to get WR the hell off the pitch - he's a valuable team member.The cronies that will influence WR in his choices have their and not the clubs interests at heart. 

I'm worried there might be early tensions between WR and the new owners over this

• 4 weeks later...

Puts the hysterical overreaction last Saturday into context, doesn’t it? Some people have had it in for Rooney from the start and he’s been proving them wrong long before the wins this week.

Before the Rotherham game, we were playing well and picking up enough points per game to stay up. Barely conceding any goals either. We’re now continuing that form and steadily improving.

It was a blip.

19 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Puts the hysterical overreaction last Saturday into context, doesn’t it? Some people have had it in for Rooney from the start and he’s been proving them wrong long before the wins this week.

Before the Rotherham game, we were playing well and picking up enough points per game to stay up. Barely conceding any goals either. We’re now continuing that form and steadily improving.

It was a blip.

Gotcha posts like these are premature and actually in a way very condescending.

Framing fellow Derby fans as ‘having it in for Rooney’ and ‘hysterical’ seems in poor taste to me. A win for Rooney is a win for everyone connected to the club.

Why not enjoy it rather than trying to place fans on two sides of a divide - right and wrong?

The majority of fans have been expressing valid and well-reasoned concerns about the way in which Rooney got the job and his overall suitability for the job and the task at hand.

Rooney is doing a very good job so far, but please remember that he has only been in charge for 12 games and that over such a short span of games, the Championship can be a deceptive mistress.

You only have to look back to less than 12 months ago when Cocu was the toast of the town and the team was enjoying a similarly rich vein of form to the one Rooney and the boys are currently.

We did well for 15 games and people were proclaiming Cocu had figured out the Championship and similar comments to yours were directed to those fans who had expressed doubts about Cocu.

I think everyone has been unanimous in their praise for Rooney and the way he has toughened up the team and made us solid, hard to beat, organised and finally able to grind out results. I think everyone has also been heartened by the players’ response to recent defeats and the off-the-field drama. 

But bear in mind, this is just a start. In real terms, Rooney has achieved nothing yet. The threat of relegation is still very real, so to dismiss other fans’ concerns and views, and to dismiss any losses as ‘a blip’ when we are not even out of the woods yet doesn’t seem very considered to me.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Gotcha posts like these are premature and actually in a way very condescending.

Framing fellow Derby fans as ‘having it in for Rooney’ and ‘hysterical’ seems in poor taste to me. A win for Rooney is a win for everyone connected to the club.

Why not enjoy it rather than trying to place fans on two sides of a divide - right and wrong?

The majority of fans have been expressing valid and well-reasoned concerns about the way in which Rooney got the job and his overall suitability for the job and the task at hand.

Rooney is doing a very good job so far, but please remember that he has only been in charge for 12 games and that over such a short span of games, the Championship can be a deceptive mistress.

You only have to look back to less than 12 months ago when Cocu was the toast of the town and the team was enjoying a similarly rich vein of form to the one Rooney and the boys are currently.

We did well for 15 games and people were proclaiming Cocu had figured out the Championship and similar comments to yours were directed to those fans who had expressed doubts about Cocu.

I think everyone has been unanimous in their praise for Rooney and the way he has toughened up the team and made us solid, hard to beat, organised and finally able to grind out results. I think everyone has also been heartened by the players’ response to recent defeats and the off-the-field drama. 

But bear in mind, this is just a start. In real terms, Rooney has achieved nothing yet. The threat of relegation is still very real, so to dismiss other fans’ concerns and views, and to dismiss any losses as ‘a blip’ when we are not even out of the woods yet doesn’t seem very considered to me.

No people were saying Cocu had mastered the championship when we finished 10th after 46 games, a very creditable season given everything that had gone on and with clearly a weaker team than the previous season.

No one is saying we’re out of the woods. It is going to be a slog because we had 6 points after 13 games before Rooney took charge and we were in danger of being cut adrift. The reaction to Rotherham was a hysterical overreaction because our form since Rooney took charge is playoff form. It was also the only bad performance since Rooney took over, didn’t get what we deserved against Preston or Sheff Weds where we could have easily won both games, but balanced out slightly with a win yesterday.

You say not very considered to dismiss the loss to Rotherham as blip, it’s equally not very considered to focus to say not beating Rotherham means we won’t get out of this when the results under Rooney overall point to the contrary. Fast forward a week we’re 5 points clear of safety with finally a chance to try and get to mid-table. 

We are far from out of the woods but Rooney has now given us an outstanding chance to survive, which considering we had one of the worst starts in championship history (which is why we’re still 4th bottom) is no mean feat and deserves praise. The job is by no means done but I’ve said it all along and will maintain it, there are more than 3 worst teams in this league and I’m extremely confident we will survive, with this squad and with this coaching team. We will see if both those remain in place this time next week. 

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

No people were saying Cocu had mastered the championship when we finished 10th after 46 games, a very creditable season given everything that had gone on and with clearly a weaker team than the previous season.

No I didn't buy any of it. I think we overachieved last season by finishing 10th, not based on the team we had but based on the performances. We were absolute rubbish for most of the season but still managed to get within a point of the playoffs with 5 games to play. Incredible really. But I wasn't at all surprised when it all fell apart at the back end of last season and the start of this one. I was never truly convinced with cocu at any point of his tenure.

20 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

It was a blip.

I've always been taught that to plot a valid straight line you need at least 3 data points as this will then determine whether one of the data points is erroneous.

Same goes for Rooney it's hard to use the word blip as the sampling range is 11 games. 

The end of the season will show whether the defeats against Rotherham etc were blips or indeed the results against QPR, Bournemouth were the blips.

Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

The majority of fans? Based on what - hopefully not some random poll on a forum where probably less than 1% of those who watch Derby actually may have expressed an opinion?

Archived