Is this Rooney's team or McClaren?

David

7 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

McClaren is obviously writing something in his little notebook but I assume he will discuss it with Rooney post match and then it's up to Rooney whether he acts on it or not - so it's Rooney's team

How long before some lazy journalist 'thinks' up a headline about 'macaroon'

We've had McClaren as manager twice before - and we didn't get promoted, so now it's time for someone else and if that's with some assistance from McClaren then so be it but for now well done Wayne Rooney

Very much this. ?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Really fed up with the number of revisionists we appear to have on the forum these days. It won't be a popular school of thought because in the great modern social media realm, there are middle grounds, but the sudden uplift in form and fortune is not purely down to Rooney, or Mac or even the combo thereof. I can think of 4 factors at least that have dovetailed into the improvements we've seen most recently:

• CKR - Colin's hold-up ability was obvious from the start but so was his lack of full match fitness. Even in the Swansea game he ran out of steam but he lasted most of the game and his fitness is something he is clearly working hard on. The fact is, he is brilliant at retaining possession and god how we've missed that. His goals too have been key. There weren't too many on here who saw the shrewdness of Cocu's signing but they're lining up to worship at his altar now he's come good. 
  • Bielik - came in, looked good and was then promptly dropped to the U23s! Brought back and played too deep alongside Bird, we saw the defence being better screened, but still missed out on the full benefit of his ability to drive us forward. Paired with Shinnie, whom despite the perceptions of some, more than just a 'ratter', is more than able to get forward, things improved again. Finally, deployed higher up the pitch (for the 1st time against Swansea) and hey presto, we have a defensive monster with laser-like passing ability, qualities that presumably led Cocu to buy him in the first place. Those who suggested that the team's performances would improve once Cocu had CKR and KB fit were roundly derided by a good few on here, none of whom have accepted they were wrong since. 
  • Defensive Screening - Ok, so this is kind of Bielik point 2 but with the terrier like Shinnie, the run-all-day attributes of Knight and the aforementioned defensive destroyer that is Krystian, the back 4 are under a deal less pressure than has previously been the case and can maintain a firmer line instead of being pulled from pillar to post. Our midfield with Rooney, Bird plus A.N. Other was being cut through like a knife through butter and with our CBs not being the quickest, that was only going to end one way. Now, most attacking threats are being nullified or at least dramatically slowed down before the back four are even asked to perform any defensive duties.
  • The Takeover - Not ITK, nor direct from source, but the one pal I have who has good connections with the club, is adamant that Rooney's tenure has been approved in principle and will be immediately confirmed once the takeover is done and dusted. Apparently this has been communicated to Rooney who quite understandably, wanted to know where he stood and was becoming frustrated with the delays. That removes a deal of unhelpful uncertainty not only for Wayne but also those players, especially those whose contracts are up next summer - they now know who they must impress and doubtless Wazza has made that clear. Never underestimate how incentivised players become when faced with a new contract versus the uncertainty of finding a new club.

There are plenty of other factors that also dovetail into what some are viewing as a perfect storm, but whilst Cocu had no luck at all, Rooney has had every bit going, make no mistake about it. Some will argue that we make our own luck and to a point, I agree but Wayne was very fortunate to get anywhere near the gig in the first place, having been both piss poor on the pitch and also closely tied into the coaching regime that so many saw as total failures. Had the club been more organised, Cocu's successor would have been lined up at the time of his sacking and we'd never have seen the shambolic 'committee' experiment, let alone Wayne enjoying the aforementioned windfalls.

As things stand and setting aside luck or lack of it, Wayne has now taken his opportunity and he should be commended for that. I don't think anyone should be arguing currently that the job should not be his. But let's not forget that had Brentford had not completely forgotten what the big white, stringy thing is, then things could be rather different and whilst some on here will revel in their smugness, they might wish to consider whilst posting whiny bolarks about the supposed 'Rooney haters', that literally nobody wants to see Wayne fail, because if he fails, so does the club we all follow. Such assertions are frankly pathetic and deserve every bit of contempt they garner. 

COYR

Great post.

I know everyone on here sees things in black and white (couldn't avoid the pun) but the world is not two dimensional/binary/however you want to express it - events, circumstances, happenings are the combination of many factors.

Anyhow, Rooney in, COYR ?

Happy Chrimbo ?

22 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Really fed up with the number of revisionists we appear to have on the forum these days. It won't be a popular school of thought because in the great modern social media realm, there are middle grounds, but the sudden uplift in form and fortune is not purely down to Rooney, or Mac or even the combo thereof. I can think of 4 factors at least that have dovetailed into the improvements we've seen most recently:

• CKR - Colin's hold-up ability was obvious from the start but so was his lack of full match fitness. Even in the Swansea game he ran out of steam but he lasted most of the game and his fitness is something he is clearly working hard on. The fact is, he is brilliant at retaining possession and god how we've missed that. His goals too have been key. There weren't too many on here who saw the shrewdness of Cocu's signing but they're lining up to worship at his altar now he's come good. 
  • Bielik - came in, looked good and was then promptly dropped to the U23s! Brought back and played too deep alongside Bird, we saw the defence being better screened, but still missed out on the full benefit of his ability to drive us forward. Paired with Shinnie, whom despite the perceptions of some, more than just a 'ratter', is more than able to get forward, things improved again. Finally, deployed higher up the pitch (for the 1st time against Swansea) and hey presto, we have a defensive monster with laser-like passing ability, qualities that presumably led Cocu to buy him in the first place. Those who suggested that the team's performances would improve once Cocu had CKR and KB fit were roundly derided by a good few on here, none of whom have accepted they were wrong since. 
  • Defensive Screening - Ok, so this is kind of Bielik point 2 but with the terrier like Shinnie, the run-all-day attributes of Knight and the aforementioned defensive destroyer that is Krystian, the back 4 are under a deal less pressure than has previously been the case and can maintain a firmer line instead of being pulled from pillar to post. Our midfield with Rooney, Bird plus A.N. Other was being cut through like a knife through butter and with our CBs not being the quickest, that was only going to end one way. Now, most attacking threats are being nullified or at least dramatically slowed down before the back four are even asked to perform any defensive duties.
  • The Takeover - Not ITK, nor direct from source, but the one pal I have who has good connections with the club, is adamant that Rooney's tenure has been approved in principle and will be immediately confirmed once the takeover is done and dusted. Apparently this has been communicated to Rooney who quite understandably, wanted to know where he stood and was becoming frustrated with the delays. That removes a deal of unhelpful uncertainty not only for Wayne but also those players, especially those whose contracts are up next summer - they now know who they must impress and doubtless Wazza has made that clear. Never underestimate how incentivised players become when faced with a new contract versus the uncertainty of finding a new club.

There are plenty of other factors that also dovetail into what some are viewing as a perfect storm, but whilst Cocu had no luck at all, Rooney has had every bit going, make no mistake about it. Some will argue that we make our own luck and to a point, I agree but Wayne was very fortunate to get anywhere near the gig in the first place, having been both piss poor on the pitch and also closely tied into the coaching regime that so many saw as total failures. Had the club been more organised, Cocu's successor would have been lined up at the time of his sacking and we'd never have seen the shambolic 'committee' experiment, let alone Wayne enjoying the aforementioned windfalls.

As things stand and setting aside luck or lack of it, Wayne has now taken his opportunity and he should be commended for that. I don't think anyone should be arguing currently that the job should not be his. But let's not forget that had Brentford had not completely forgotten what the big white, stringy thing is, then things could be rather different and whilst some on here will revel in their smugness, they might wish to consider whilst posting whiny bolarks about the supposed 'Rooney haters', that literally nobody wants to see Wayne fail, because if he fails, so does the club we all follow. Such assertions are frankly pathetic and deserve every bit of contempt they garner. 

COYR

You are quite able to do a bit of revisionism yourself.....  Cocu could have used CKR more even if as a sub. It was only when given a start  under Rooney that CKR made a real impact.  Cocu may have been unlucky but his cautious playing out from back has instantly almost disappeared. Cocu was the architect of his own downfall.

12 minutes ago, DRBee said:

You are quite able to do a bit of revisionism yourself.....  Cocu could have used CKR more even if as a sub. It was only when given a start  under Rooney that CKR made a real impact.  Cocu may have been unlucky but his cautious playing out from back has instantly almost disappeared. Cocu was the architect of his own downfall.

CKR was not match fit. You could see that even in his first start under Rooney.

On 19/12/2020 at 10:12, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

If it’s working, whether or not you like Rooney or Mac or the rest of the coaching staff, who cares??

The danger - if WR is appointed as permanent manager - is he insists on having his own coaching team (Fletcher etc)   That would be very concerning because as you say the current team is working well. And because I'm not sure Rooney yet has the experience to pick a coaching team that will give him the support he needs.  We want stability to the end of the season

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

enjoyed hearing SM talking about WR's communications skills      Unlike some others I don't think WR has much idea how to handle the media.  But SM says he has great one-on-one communication with players and if true that'll help him massively in management    

On 21/12/2020 at 09:00, IslandExile said:

Great post.

I know everyone on here sees things in black and white (couldn't avoid the pun) but the world is not two dimensional/binary/however you want to express it - events, circumstances, happenings are the combination of many factors.

Anyhow, Rooney in, COYR ?

Happy Chrimbo ?

Agree.  Like you say there's loads of factors at play and you could argue WR has been lucky having generally fit players to choose from whereas Cocu was shafted from every angle.  Key for me though is the big change in playing style and attitude.  No more mucking about at the back. No more sideways and back pass as the first thought. Cocu had a hugely defensive style.  WR, getting fit players back doesn't change how we play. That, IMO is down to Rooney, with, I'm sure, some sage advice from SM.

Anyway, my third Xmas eve beer awaits.  Have fun all. 

31 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Agree.  Like you say there's loads of factors at play and you could argue WR has been lucky having generally fit players to choose from whereas Cocu was shafted from every angle.  Key for me though is the big change in playing style and attitude.  No more mucking about at the back. No more sideways and back pass as the first thought. Cocu had a hugely defensive style.  WR, getting fit players back doesn't change how we play. That, IMO is down to Rooney, with, I'm sure, some sage advice from SM.

I agree. Rooney has a seriously powerful gift and it is motivating footballers. This is a major reason for the all round improvement at our Club. Schteve had noticed the way that Wayne treats people and he is impressed. He is very clear in his communications. Players suddenly seem to know what is expected of them. I have a feeling that Wayne is the one man that can get the best out of Ibe and Marriott. Once Marriott realises that Rooney knows what he is talking about and accepts that fulfilling his input is his best chance of progress, he may come on in leaps and bounds.

3 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Absolutely - fit players playing Cocu-style  Dutch fantasy football would still be failing. No question. Wayne {& Mac} have addressed the issues in 6 or 7 training sessions. The layers of negative Cocu-ball have been peeled away and Wazza-ball is emerging.

If you listen to Wayne's interviews it soon becomes clear that the dude has got this job covered big time. He has got more contacts than we can imagine. He is paving the way for more English managers to be taken seriously for better jobs, in my opinion.

On 21/12/2020 at 13:51, kevinhectoring said:

The danger - if WR is appointed as permanent manager - is he insists on having his own coaching team (Fletcher etc)   That would be very concerning because as you say the current team is working well. And because I'm not sure Rooney yet has the experience to pick a coaching team that will give him the support he needs.  We want stability to the end of the season

You are so easily pulled by the media. One article and you’re sat there worried he’ll change his coaching set up. Lol. Genuinely I feel sorry for you. 

Absolutely - fit players playing Cocu-style  Dutch fantasy football would still be failing. No question. Wayne {& Mac} have addressed the issues in 6 or 7 training sessions. The layers of negative Cocu-ball have been peeled away and Wazza-ball is emerging.

Nigel Clough would have this team top of the league.

Wayne's World - (Promotion) Party on dudes.

Archived