Is this Rooney's team or McClaren?

Day

Petr Cech, technical director at Chelsea, is he credited with the wins against Leeds or Sevilla in the Champions League? If not, why not?

Tonight was one of the best performances we have seen by Derby in a long time, but it's been tainted for me personally, tainted by this attempt to divert all credit to Steve McClaren, the technical director, as we played 4-3-3, a formation which appears to be copyright Steve McClaren.

What about Wycombe, or Coventry games which we drew, I seem to recall those results being blamed on Rooney's naivety, lack of experience. Win a game against a top team in this division, go 6 unbeaten and it's Mac is back baby!

Is this the future now, if we play 4-3-3, if we play attacking football and win, Mac is back, lose and it's Rooney this Rooney that? 

It really shouldn't irritate me as much as it should, as many of you will know I have backed Rooney from day 1, I just fear that he and his team of Given, Walker and Rosenior will never truly receive the recognition they deserve whilst McClaren is around and these visions of the 2013/14 team being resurrected.

I openly posted my thoughts about not wanting McClaren to return as manager, that is no secret, however I do not have any issues with him being at the club in another role, but let's be clear on this, as of today Wayne Rooney is the manager of this football club and unless we see evidence to suggest that Steve McClaren plays a large role in training and picking of the team, let's assign credit where credit is due. 

Well done Rooney, Rosenior, Walker and Given on the win tonight. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, David said:

Petr Cech, technical director at Chelsea, is he credited with the wins against Leeds or Sevilla in the Champions League? If not, why not?

Tonight was one of the best performances we have seen by Derby in a long time, but it's been tainted for me personally, tainted by this attempt to divert all credit to Steve McClaren, the technical director, as we played 4-3-3, a formation which appears to be copyright Steve McClaren.

What about Wycombe, or Coventry games which we drew, I seem to recall those results being blamed on Rooney's naivety, lack of experience. Win a game against a top team in this division, go 6 unbeaten and it's Mac is back baby!

Is this the future now, if we play 4-3-3, if we play attacking football and win, Mac is back, lose and it's Rooney this Rooney that? 

It really shouldn't irritate me as much as it should, as many of you will know I have backed Rooney from day 1, I just fear that he and his team of Given, Walker and Rosenior will never truly receive the recognition they deserve whilst McClaren is around and these visions of the 2013/14 team being resurrected.

I openly posted my thoughts about not wanting McClaren to return as manager, that is no secret, however I do not have any issues with him being at the club in another role, but let's be clear on this, as of today Wayne Rooney is the manager of this football club and unless we see evidence to suggest that Steve McClaren plays a large role in training and picking of the team, let's assign credit where credit is due. 

I see you have taken up drinking again.

This is Rooney’s team, it’s as simple as that. He’s the manager, at least for now. So when we lose, he gets criticised, when we win, he should be praised. McClaren’s role as technical director is at board level, not a coaching role. What happens on the pitch isn’t his doing. It’s the off the pitch stuff which we should be judging McClaren on, starting with the appointment of a new permanent manager, and sorting out our squad in January. 

Now, I’ve made no secret of the fact that I don’t want Rooney as manager. And I stand by that. But all credit has to go to him for that performance tonight, it was superb, and he is the manager who set it up. That was the work of him and his coaching staff, not Steve McClaren.

2 hours ago, David said:

Came close to opening a topic but aware of my alcohol levels.

I don't like this Mac this, Mac that, as you say it's a disservice to Rooney, Mac maybe there giving advice but this is on Rooney, about time he was given credit.

I fear that whilst Mac is about, there will always be this lingering questions over how much influence he has on this team, comparisons to 2014. 

I do admire someone who's aware of alcohol levels, then pushes past such doubts and carries on regardless.

A man after my own heart.

3 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Frankly @David, I am just pleased with the 3 pts.

Well done Rooney but he would be foolish not to listen to Schteve and Mac would not be doing his job not helping WR.

Rooney is still very new to management. Whatever you think of Mac, he has been around the block.

It is a team effort. Well done to them all.

COYR

He would be absolutely foolish not to listen to McClaren, and Ferguson, Moyes, any knowledge he can tap into to improve himself. McClaren having been at the club in various roles over a number of years is perfect to tap into as he knows what this club is about and what the fans are looking for.

I just hate this idea that credit is being shifted away from the coaching team to one man as he has a coat with a Ram on it again thats all.

1 minute ago, Rev said:

I do admire someone who's aware of alcohol levels, then pushes past such doubts and carries on regardless.

A man after my own heart.

Just off for another one, you want one whilst I'm there? 

17 minutes ago, David said:

Wayne Rooney is the manager of this football club and unless we see evidence to suggest that Steve McClaren plays a large role in training and picking of the team, let's assign credit where credit is due. 

Rooney 100% deserves credit for this and for the upturn in performance, and it's impossible to gage how much impact Mac has had since he's been back, but I'd suggest he's at least had a few chats with Rooney to push him in the right way at the very least.

3 minutes ago, David said:

He would be absolutely foolish not to listen to McClaren, and Ferguson, Moyes, any knowledge he can tap into to improve himself. McClaren having been at the club in various roles over a number of years is perfect to tap into as he knows what this club is about and what the fans are looking for.

I just hate this idea that credit is being shifted away from the coaching team to one man as he has a coat with a Ram on it again thats all.

True - grab knowledge from anywhere - don't forget Phil Neville (I think he is underrated)

I think Mac is a good thing right now, as he will work alongside WR positively - mentor and critical friend.

20 minutes ago, David said:

Wayne knows that the best way to succeed is to use proven ideas that worked where he played. He is his own man, he does not need the.money and he had been working towards being a manager for nearly six years. He will do it his way and take advice when he needs it.

1 hour ago, David said:

Ultimately it doesn’t matter. His success will be judged on whether he gets us out of the league at the end of the day.
If he gets us promoted he will get the credit for it not Mac and everyone will be saying he’s succeeded where Mac failed! 
best try and get out of the relegation zone first though. 

Archived