Is this Rooney's team or McClaren?

David

I don't care as long as were winning football matches & playing well whivh we are. 

Its Rooney's team he's the manager & he's done well

He has an experienced manager in Mac as technical director. As a young inexperienced manager if he taps into macs knowledge for some advice then i have no issues. If anything it shows he's willing to learn. Likewise im sure he is still mates with Fergie & if he picked up the phone for some advice & a chat with him id have no issues

Just like on the pitch its a team game. The book stops with Rooney its his team he's in charge but he's learning and if he does want to use those with experience around him for advice & to learn off then whats the issue? 

We don't even know if he has tapped into mac for some advice but if he has what's the issue?‍♂️ no harm in trying to be the best manager you can be and ask for a bit of advice if you need it 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McClarens team were always 4-3-3. No matter what happened the approach was to go for plan A and stick with plan A till it works.

Rooney has already shown in the 5 matches that he's willing to switch players and formations mid way through game to make the most out of the team. His first match in charge he pulled in Evans, Davies, Sibley all started after being sidelined for a while and they managed to get us a draw.

We've had matches where he's made little change during them to refresh legs and he's also made big changes at half time and subbing off a sub to change the approach. He's got a ruthlessness in his approach which doesn't come from a manager who isn't sure of what to do. He can see what's wrong on the pitch and will make the right decision to fix them. The difference between now and a few games ago is that he's not holding off making changes as he saw we gave too many last minute equalisers away.

It was interesting on the game last night the commentator, might have been Hinchcliffe  said having spoken to McClaren he was impressed with how Rooney has gone about his business. Even more so that it was stated Rooney is very much the manager and tells the coaches Given, Rosenior, Walker et al how he wants to play and the philosphy and lets them get on with it. 

That in itself builds trust and cohesion surely that its a collective effort? 

I have been proved very wrong so far in what Rooney and the team have done. A real chance to go on a mini run now with plenty of 6 pointers coming up. 

"Is it the Mac effect, or is Rooney showing some promise as a manager at this level? A bit of both perhaps?"

i posted this some 15 hours ago.  Is that what initiated this thread?  Was just asking.

Didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

1 minute ago, ramit said:

"Is it the Mac effect, or is Rooney showing some promise as a manager at this level? A bit of both perhaps?"

i posted this some 15 hours ago.  Is that what initiated this thread?  Was just asking.

Didn’t see your post to be honest. 

33 minutes ago, David said:

Didn’t see your post to be honest. 

So what was "this attempt to divert all credit to MacClaren" ? Radio Derby were suggesting a MacClaren effect but nowhere near the

'all credit' you speak of. Elsewhere it seems Rooney is getting credit , including quite a few sceptics on here eating humble pie.

You have to say it has the hallmark of MacClarens team 4-3-3 with a central attacker willing to hold the ball very Chris martin like apart from CKR doesnt spend most of the game on his arse

To be fair whether it is or not best performance by a mile last night

Lets hope the best Tom Lawrence gets close to the team is last minute substitution

8 minutes ago, DRBee said:

So what was "this attempt to divert all credit to MacClaren" ? Radio Derby were suggesting a MacClaren effect but nowhere near the

'all credit' you speak of. Elsewhere it seems Rooney is getting credit , including quite a few sceptics on here eating humble pie.

To be fair, all Eric Steele did was suggest McClaren has had impact if I remember rightly, which I'm sure he has!

The reality though is that McClaren is simply part of Rooney's current team. WR deserves to be the centre piece for all the praise...just as he deserves to be the centre piece for any failings. 

It might surprise some of you younger ones but way back in the day Brian Clough did NOT do it all on his own.

A lot of the credit has to go to Peter Taylor. (Hence our statue!)

Among other things Clough admitted that Taylor was better at spotting potential whilst Cloughie was a better negotiator. Roy Mac and Gary Birtles as examples.

Clough on his own sometimes appeared fallible whereas the Clough/Taylor combination was world class.

I have no problem with a MacaRoni combination but feel that it is vital to have Wayne as the 'front man'.

He looked every inch a manager last night and is Steve Mac enhances his influence so much the better.

I found a clear chain of command used to leave me free to do the job that I was paid to do....Why should football be any different?

22 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

In fairness, most of us would select that formation, not just McClaren.

Agreed!

I also hate the idea that every single time we ever play 4-3-3, it's going to automatically be McClaren's doing.

Would of done my head in if people were making that accusation when Cocu was the manager, so it's only fair that Rooney gets all the credit, no matter what impact McClaren may or may not be having. 

3 hours ago, ramit said:

spanish time GIF

16 hours ago, David said:

Petr Cech, technical director at Chelsea, is he credited with the wins against Leeds or Sevilla in the Champions League? If not, why not?

Well done Rooney, Rosenior, Walker and Given on the win tonight. 

I’d say it’s quite simple. If Rooney ISN’T taking input from McClaren he’d deserve criticism. 
But it’s Rooney’s neck on the block so sometimes he’ll take that advice, sometimes he won’t. Regardless, he gets the credit or the blame. 
I for one was initially against the appointment of Rooney simply because I didn’t think he possessed the necessary attributes to be a manager. I changed my mind fairly quickly

I’m just pleased that the results and performances are improving.

Who cares if Mac’s helping/advising or not as long as it’s going our way,after all it’s a team game and with a new manager like Rooney I’m sure any advice is welcome,he should be soaking it all up like a sponge.

And to be fair,Steve’s influence is clearly minimal at best,I mean look at last night,as if Mac would set up a attacking side in a 4-3-3 formation with a strong target man and two midfielders running off him.

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Archived