Is this Rooney's team or McClaren?

David

24 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've always been taught that to plot a valid straight line you need at least 3 data points as this will then determine whether one of the data points is erroneous.

Same goes for Rooney it's hard to use the word blip as the sampling range is 11 games. 

The end of the season will show whether the defeats against Rotherham etc were blips or indeed the results against QPR, Bournemouth were the blips.

Only time will tell.

11 is more than three though 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jram said:

11 is more than three though 

Well spotted. The point is what is a valid sampling range to determine where upward points are blips on an otherwise downward trajectory or vice versa. 

My opinion is 11 games is far too early to judge the above. But for the time being the results are moving in a positive direction. 

Hard to crab Wazza's tenure really, but I think some folk still can't discern the difference between being a 'Rooney hater' or any of the other hysterical terms being lobbed about and having reservations about him being the best candidate we could have hired and the way that he got the job in the first place. 

He's very much won me over, oddly because of the honesty of his interviews as much as the gradual improvement in form. It's become very clear that he won't be papering over the cracks and I have to admit I find his approach quite endearing. That said, it's also fair to say that the succession of sneering, 'I told you so' posts from some quarters only serves to widen the chasm rather than close it. ?‍♀️

14 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

The majority of fans? Based on what - hopefully not some random poll on a forum where probably less than 1% of those who watch Derby actually may have expressed an opinion?

The post I quoted was obviously taking aim at fans on this forum and wider social media.

When I talk about ‘majority of fans’, I don’t mean the fanbase as a whole, but fans who have expressed concern or doubts about Rooney and the club on this forum or elsewhere.

I don’t think the reaction to the Rotherham game was in any way hysterical. We’ve been in a relegation battle since October and we’ve had a well-established pattern of not getting results against fellow struggling sides.

After Wycombe, Coventry and Sheff Wed, Rotherham was the fourth game under Rooney where we hadn’t seized the opportunity to affect the teams around us, so it was understandable that the mood would be particularly low and frustrations would boil over, especially with the state of play off the pitch.

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Hard to crab Wazza's tenure really, but I think some folk still can't discern the difference between being a 'Rooney hater' or any of the other hysterical terms being lobbed about and having reservations about him being the best candidate we could have hired and the way that he got the job in the first place. 

He's very much won me over, oddly because of the honesty of his interviews as much as the gradual improvement in form. It's become very clear that he won't be papering over the cracks and I have to admit I find his approach quite endearing. That said, it's also fair to say that the succession of sneering, 'I told you so' posts from some quarters only serves to widen the chasm rather than close it. ?‍♀️

This there's no semblance of any balance or moderation on here regards Rooney. 

The people who bandy the words hysterical about are the ones who in fact are hysterical themselves if truth be told. 

I would have preferred an open and transparent recruitment process to get our next manager in so it's done on merit and therefore avoid of all this unpleasantness but as a club we chose not to which doesn't aid matters. 

As I've said he's doing well in his first so many games so can't fault him for that, hope he's able to maintain this momentum with or without new recruits this week. 

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

This there's no semblance of any balance or moderation on here regards Rooney. 

The people who bandy the words hysterical about are the ones who in fact are hysterical themselves if truth be told. 

I would have preferred an open and transparent recruitment process to get our next manager in so it's done on merit and therefore avoid of all this unpleasantness but as a club we chose not to which doesn't aid matters. 

As I've said he's doing well in his first so many games so can't fault him for that, hope he's able to maintain this momentum with or without new recruits this week. 

I think what seals the deal for me is that I unfairly expected him to be all about himself, based on little to no evidence at all. As it is, he's not complained, he's not made excuses, he's been open about the need for fresh recruits but is also clearly prepared to soldier on whatever happens. To me that's kinda classy.

For my part, eventually I'll stop thinking about how he came to be manager, as will 99% of folks on here, because at the end of the day, all we want to see is the club prosper. If the ends justify the means and early signs suggest they just might, I think the vast majority who had doubts initially will soon forget them. Having it rubbed in their faces every 5 minutes though, is hardly going to expedite that process , not that it will deter some, I fear.

16 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

How do you know that Rooney wasn't the best candidate for the managers job?

29 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yes, I've been surprised by this & also the hostile tone to any alternative opinions in the past week.

I won't name the two posters who have been most antagonistic but suffice to say one likes a managerial witch hunt (and has already called for Rooney to go & then changed his mind ?) and another one who is generally very reasonable but seemed affronted by a caveat in a post I did earlier today praising Rooney's proactivity in the game yesterday.

Its unnecessary polarisation & shows a lack of tolerance of other views. I'm probably not far off your viewpoint on Rooney (which is a massive sea change to where I was 2 months ago) but like a couple of others, I make decisions based on a wider range of games & in turn, am much slower to turn on the manager when things go bad - i.e. they've earnt my trust so we'll ride out the bad form. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

How do you know that Rooney wasn't the best candidate for the managers job?

Roy we don't do we. I don't know what the recruitment process was if there even was one. Which makes me very uneasy. But like a lot of arguments on here it's impossible to project a Sliding Doors scenario to see if Person A would have fared any better than Person B under the same circumstances.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Roy we don't do we. I don't know what the recruitment process was if there even was one. Which makes me very uneasy. But like a lot of arguments on here it's impossible to project a Sliding Doors scenario to see if Person A would have fared any better than Person B under the same circumstances.

Fans seem to want impossible things (myself included) and when we don't get them we get in a huff. ?

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've always been taught that to plot a valid straight line you need at least 3 data points ...

Sorry to discredit your maths teacher, and be pendantic, but your teacher may not have been very good!

You need two points to plot a line (not three)!

If you have three points, you can choose any two of the points, and draw three different lines! How would you know which point was the odd one out?

You should have been taught that one needs loads of data points to make it easier to spot any erroneous data. Definitely not three!

4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You may not want to acknowledge it but the fanbase was divided over Cocu and there was a lot of unsavoury sniping and point scoring. Hopefully things don’t go that way with Rooney but you can already see signs of that developing. 

Anyway, let’s focus on Rooney. Rooney has done a very good job so far but when 75% of our games under him have been against teams who were in the bottom half at the time, there is a sense of an opportunity being missed to genuinely shift momentum and colour the relegation picture in our favour.

11 points gained from a possible 24 v bottom half sides compared to 8 points from 12 v top half sides at the time, remember.

That’s why so much has been made of our inability to beat the teams around us. I am very much of the opinion that our fate will be decided on the strength of how we do against other poor or struggling sides.

Lo and behold we win a key game against QPR and look at how much healthier our position is and how much pressure it relieves on us and creates for other teams around us. Now the pressure is all on Rotherham and Sheff Wed to deliver results in their games in hand and the pressure is on the teams above us knowing they can’t afford to slip up.

People weren’t predicting that we would go down on the strength of one result v Rotherham. It was an accumulation of poor results against other poor teams.

Yesterday was a major step forward in correcting this, but the work doesn’t end there. We play eight games before the end of February and many of them are crunch games - Rotherham away, Wycombe away, Forest at home, for example. We have to keep it up.

We are where we are not simply because of our start. We have had ample opportunity under Rooney to create very significant distance between us and the bottom three. Let’s not pretend that we weren’t expecting more from games v Wycombe, Coventry, Rotherham and Sheff Wed.

I think saying Rooney has done a good job but could have done even better is not an unfair appraisal of the work he has done so far. I am sure he’ll be thinking exactly the same privately.

When Mac was in charge twice I don't remember us being quite as solid defensively as we have become with Rooney at the helm so I'd say Rooney and his coaches are the influence there.

But if the team of Rooney Rosenior Mac etc are succesful it really doesn't matter as long as it works.

Many teams are not the same when they lose there number 2 for example.

according to Joey Barton Mac made a big difference to QPR when coach alongside Harry but they fell away significantly when Mac left for us.

I've always thought Mac is a good coach etc but not so great as a manager and maybe his role with us as an advisor is a good blend with Rooney at the helm and Rosenior assistant

Every game from now on is a big game. It's almost insulting to say any particular game is a big game. 

We should also accept there will be games we lose, without resorting to wrist-slashing.

Of course we will have gripes like in any relationship but if we believe in the team and the manager, we can still have an enjoyable end to this season. 

Archived