Is this Rooney's team or McClaren?

Day

Rooney's head on the chopping board, Rooney's team, all managers live and die by there results, Rooney is doing great, so let's give the lad some credit, at this time, and our improvement in results, Wayne deserves all the plundits going his way, so well done Wayne and all the coaching team at Derby, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, David said:

Petr Cech, technical director at Chelsea, is he credited with the wins against Leeds or Sevilla in the Champions League? If not, why not?

Tonight was one of the best performances we have seen by Derby in a long time, but it's been tainted for me personally, tainted by this attempt to divert all credit to Steve McClaren, the technical director, as we played 4-3-3, a formation which appears to be copyright Steve McClaren.

What about Wycombe, or Coventry games which we drew, I seem to recall those results being blamed on Rooney's naivety, lack of experience. Win a game against a top team in this division, go 6 unbeaten and it's Mac is back baby!

Is this the future now, if we play 4-3-3, if we play attacking football and win, Mac is back, lose and it's Rooney this Rooney that? 

It really shouldn't irritate me as much as it should, as many of you will know I have backed Rooney from day 1, I just fear that he and his team of Given, Walker and Rosenior will never truly receive the recognition they deserve whilst McClaren is around and these visions of the 2013/14 team being resurrected.

I openly posted my thoughts about not wanting McClaren to return as manager, that is no secret, however I do not have any issues with him being at the club in another role, but let's be clear on this, as of today Wayne Rooney is the manager of this football club and unless we see evidence to suggest that Steve McClaren plays a large role in training and picking of the team, let's assign credit where credit is due. 

Well done Rooney, Rosenior, Walker and Given on the win tonight. 

I said when Rooney took over that he was damned if he wins and damned if he loses. If he loses its his fault, if he wins it;s because of Mac.

Luckily he hasn't lost yet, but most were getting their knickers in a twist against Cov & Wycombe, saying he's not good enough.

He wins last night and it's nothing to do with Rooney, it's all Macs doing because he played 433.

Not fair on Rooney imo, sure, i think he's been consulted but I think Rooney's humble enough to come out and say if Mac had a big influence on the tactics last night, in his interview he gave credit to ckr's goal to Shay, so why wouldn't he give credit to Mac if he was that heavily involved.

7 hours ago, David said:

Petr Cech, technical director at Chelsea, is he credited with the wins against Leeds or Sevilla in the Champions League? If not, why not?

Tonight was one of the best performances we have seen by Derby in a long time, but it's been tainted for me personally, tainted by this attempt to divert all credit to Steve McClaren, the technical director, as we played 4-3-3, a formation which appears to be copyright Steve McClaren.

What about Wycombe, or Coventry games which we drew, I seem to recall those results being blamed on Rooney's naivety, lack of experience. Win a game against a top team in this division, go 6 unbeaten and it's Mac is back baby!

Is this the future now, if we play 4-3-3, if we play attacking football and win, Mac is back, lose and it's Rooney this Rooney that? 

It really shouldn't irritate me as much as it should, as many of you will know I have backed Rooney from day 1, I just fear that he and his team of Given, Walker and Rosenior will never truly receive the recognition they deserve whilst McClaren is around and these visions of the 2013/14 team being resurrected.

I openly posted my thoughts about not wanting McClaren to return as manager, that is no secret, however I do not have any issues with him being at the club in another role, but let's be clear on this, as of today Wayne Rooney is the manager of this football club and unless we see evidence to suggest that Steve McClaren plays a large role in training and picking of the team, let's assign credit where credit is due. 

Well done Rooney, Rosenior, Walker and Given on the win tonight. 

Your banging your head against the wall ,, it’s a weird Derby glitch a fair few Derby fans have ( judging by this forum ) where they cannot move on , you see it with the Martin issue , the mac issues,  even stunned with the amount of people who pick a manager choice they want but then have to team them up with an igor or some such other ex Derby player or coach as the magic bullet ,

rooney is manager , he carries the can good or bad , there as much chance he is taking advise over the phone from fergie as mac being the puppeteer, I’m pretty sure Rooney is a strong enough personality to want and push his own football ideas he’s learnt from a long time playing at the top under many managers

Definitely Rooney’s team and so far he’s doing a great job. I wasn’t convinced this was the right way to go but I would give him the job now. He’s been here for 12 months he knows the club now and what is needed. He’s still giving the young players a chance. He’s doing everything asked of him and now he’s getting results. If he keeps this up by the time the takeover is complete they will have no choice but to give him the job.

I think Mac coming in is great for Rooney, what a perfect sounding board and guide for your first head coach role. It’s a really good combo. Yes some fans will give credit to Mac but that won’t bother him, all the media will be very quickly giving him maximum credit and by Christmas we will be known everywhere as Rooney’s Rams (if we’re not already)

Couldn't care less personally.

Want to see us winning football matches and playing good football along the way.

Don't care if its WR, SM or even MM pulling the strings if we carry on performing how we did last night.

I don't think last night's performance is down to the formation. We still played with 2 relatively defensive midfielders, the difference now is that one of them gets on the ball and is happy to drive forward and start attacks.

In my opinion the fact that we have stopped shipping goals and are now starting to look at threat going forward is down to Mr Bielik.

Agreed that the credit should go to Rooney and his team.

McClaren is a lot closer to the footballing side than I first thought he would be though. Sitting with the other staff at times, going into the dressing room - he’s no Chris Evans.

Would be interested to hear about his role at the next fan forum or something. But, for now, it’s only right to give as much credit to him as we do to Sir Alex and David Moyes, i.e. pretty much zero.

You take things to heart too much, @David?

I think Rooney is a football person who is quickly working out when to listen and when to go his own way. He will be his own man, but I was particularly impressed with the fact he gave credit to Shay Given for Buchanan's involvement in the first goal (which the dumbos both at Sky and the BBC thought was a mis-hit free kick from Shinnie - fools!) Rooney is listening, learning and leading - all credit due to him.

As for McClaren, I think he will be gracious enough to give credit to Rooney  should he ever be asked. But he'll have a little twinkle in his eye! 

Its Rooney and the coaching staff. They had the Rooney/Liam out rants at the start so deserve the credit now. Whatever is going on, it now seems to be working so why start a thread questioning Maclaren being there planting seeds of trouble when his departure could upset the equilibrium again. Cant we just let them all get on with it for a bit and hope this continues? Everyone at the club deserves credit 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Your banging your head against the wall ,, it’s a weird Derby glitch a fair few Derby fans have ( judging by this forum ) where they cannot move on , you see it with the Martin issue , the mac issues,  even stunned with the amount of people who pick a manager choice they want but then have to team them up with an igor or some such other ex Derby player or coach as the magic bullet ,

rooney is manager , he carries the can good or bad , there as much chance he is taking advise over the phone from fergie as mac being the puppeteer, I’m pretty sure Rooney is a strong enough personality to want and push his own football ideas he’s learnt from a long time playing at the top under many managers

100% agree with this. I noticed a few comments on the match day thread where there was a sense of an underlying bitterness for some people who had taken a position on Rooney. This stems from a couple of things. For some Rooney was culpable for Cocu’s demise by how he played in his side/or his role in the coaching set up and assumptions his selection was imposed on him. For others Rooney the person isn’t palatable especially when you compare him to the cerebral Phillip Cocu who is all cross legged, espresso sipping and dripping with European sophistication. Rooney on the other hand is perceived by some as a granny shagging John Bull, that’s as thick as mince with a wag for a wife etc...As you say it’s time to move on from Cocu, Martin, the EFL, Gibson, Mac 1 & 2. I was behind Cocu, I loved Chris Martin and Mac 1 was one of my favourite eras but I’m all in for Rooney now for good or bad. 

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Couldn't care less personally.

Want to see us winning football matches and playing good football along the way.

Don't care if its WR, SM or even MM pulling the strings if we carry on performing how we did last night.

Totally this. ? Non-issue.

I think it's Rooney's team that's starting to form.

McClaren being there I think may be helpful to have a conversation with. It'd be silly not to be talking with him, but no, it's the efforts of Rooney, along with Rosenoir and the rest of the coaches (as the coaches, not the committee) who are bring the team into the sunlit updands of basic competance, working hard and being a proper football team again.

I'm not getting carried away, there's a long way to go, but we were deserved winners last night, totally dominant 1st half, soaked up with surprising ease second half. You can see the belief and confidence flooding back into the players.

Archived