Is this Rooney's team or McClaren?

David

3 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

It might surprise some of you younger ones but way back in the day Brian Clough did NOT do it all on his own.

A lot of the credit has to go to Peter Taylor. (Hence our statue!)

Among other things Clough admitted that Taylor was better at spotting potential whilst Cloughie was a better negotiator. Roy Mac and Gary Birtles as examples.

Clough on his own sometimes appeared fallible whereas the Clough/Taylor combination was world class.

I have no problem with a MacaRoni combination but feel that it is vital to have Wayne as the 'front man'.

He looked every inch a manager last night and is Steve Mac enhances his influence so much the better.

I found a clear chain of command used to leave me free to do the job that I was paid to do....Why should football be any different?

Hear! Hear! Bravo, Sir.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/long-drives-open-doors-wayne-153322951.html

Well according to the (long) Yahoo article (one small quote from it) says: "Rooney will be the first to admit Derby’s recent resurgence is not all down to him. Steve McClaren’s return as technical director has been vital, with Rooney regularly leaning on the former England manager for advice on tactics and team selection. "

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well according to the (long) Yahoo article (one small quote from it) says: "Rooney will be the first to admit Derby’s recent resurgence is not all down to him. Steve McClaren’s return as technical director has been vital, with Rooney regularly leaning on the former England manager for advice on tactics and team selection. "

Hey MaccaRooney

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There you go David

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not questioning that,it’s clear that Wayne is consulting with Mac re tactics and team selection,which is excellent and I’m pleased Steve is involved and part of our current revival.

Rooney has already admitted he will lean on McClaren for advice, he has also spoken with Ferguson and Moyes.

The bit of the article which was posted is part of the wider praise for everyone involved. 

Ultimately Rooney is the manager, if you read my opening post that was my point and that 4-3-3 is not copyrighted to Steve McClaren.

Interesting there was no mention of him after the draws to Wycombe and Coventry.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don’t tell @i-Ram; he’ll just try and deflect it with his comedy. ?

Just now, Ellafella said:

I think it's funny, Rooney would have to be daft to ignore Mac (who Sir Alex thought good enough), but the bottom line is he's the manager. He's taking advise from various sources, we have to hope he can process that and make good choices - seems to be doing so atm. The DET piece was interesting where it talking about him being 'impressed' that the players were 'taking charge' themselves (I'm paraphrasing cos I can't remember the exact wording and can't be bothered to find it again). Interestingly there was a quote from Mourinho on SSN about how one of his players had taken it upon himself to take charge of the team talk. Maybe he's spoken with Wayne? ? ? 

45 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not questioning that,it’s clear that Wayne is consulting with Mac re tactics and team selection,which is excellent and I’m pleased Steve is involved and part of our current revival.

53 minutes ago, David said:

Yet Rooney is unquestionably the “big man in town” and has provided the spark behind Derby’s revival.

That's a retrospective fish take though http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/5064480.stm

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Mac has probably suggested to Roo that he pops down Ashton Gate and makes a cheeky offer for their No.7. Been absolutely banging them in, but Mac no doubt can convince him to sign a 3 1/2 year contract.

I dont see the issue with it every manager in every walk of life has people they lean on.but I think it is very very clear that rooney is the manager and he makes the calls and he would be stupid to not listen to other people around him but he will make the call. Rooney seem to be doing a very good job at the min and if there is others around him that are helping that happen who cares.long may it continue.

9 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Mac has probably suggested to Roo that he pops down Ashton Gate and makes a cheeky offer for their No.7. Been absolutely banging them in, but Mac no doubt can convince him to sign a 3 1/2 year contract.

Good he'll have some decent service with Joz and our midfield.

Just now, Malty said:

Just a thought ... are we a little light on coaches now with the three Dutchmen gone? I mean we’ve got Mac now but not as a coach, so did we have too many before? I’m confused.

And the fitness bloke. Maybe there was too many?!

Archived