11 points

kevinhectoring

24 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

They home to Newcastle next, followed by Spurs, Utd and City.

Hopefully our Toon friends from the 11 points season can help us out.

It really is a strong league this year. After those 4 they have a winnable match at West Brom and then they get to play Chelsea and West Ham before a bit of a break at Fulham and then its Liverpool, Southampton, Leicester, Villa, Leeds, Arsenal and Wolves. I can only really see 3 or 4 winnable games for them until the end of the season and if the good Newcastle turns up for both their games against them I might actually start to believe.

Just now, Sinistra ram rousse said:

I don't want to see Sheffield United break our record because in spite of results they are not as bad as we were. I became a bit of a fan last season and was impressed with Chris Wilder and the team. No I'd much rather see Leeds down there or Villa.

But by definition if they do "beat" our record they will be worse than us as they have accumulated a lower points tally.

I’m weirdly proud of our record...is it just me?

I guess I feel like if I could support us through that the. I can support us through anything- although it has genuinely psychologically scarred me from ever wanting to return to the top flight again! Perhaps I also take a bit of pride that it kinda vindicates me as a fan; no one can ever say I’m a ‘glory supporter’ ?

1 hour ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

I don't want to see Sheffield United break our record because in spite of results they are not as bad as we were. I became a bit of a fan last season and was impressed with Chris Wilder and the team. No I'd much rather see Leeds down there or Villa.

Personally I do.  I'd rather it was Leeds, it probably should have been Villa as they were horrific in 2015- if they could get to a cup final that year anyone can- but Sheff Utd it is.   

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is there a 'weighting system' for quality of teams in a league? I'd thought it was points... ? 

But it’s like comparing Pele and Messi, different era, different situation. Are you saying you can judge them the same, purely on goals scored?

Funnily enough, I’ve just finished the chapter about “that season” in Ryan Hills’ book, Pride and from what I read there, Sheffield United cannot be in as bad a place we were at that time, surely.

I can’t go into detail as that could spoil it for readers who haven’t got that far yet suffice to say I think they’ll get more than 11 points this season however, while I wouldn’t gloat if they didn’t I would admit to being relieved the dubious record is not ours any longer.

Personally I think the quality in the premier league was far better in the Jim Smith years, as the top division really did start taking the best talent as opposed to Serie A.  In our 11 point season it was substantially inferior as the talent was in Spain and back in Italy to a lesser extent.  I think Sheff Utd are playing in a far weaker league now than either of those periods, as any top quality players are at two or three clubs and the rest are in Spain the remainder dotted around various leagues.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Personally I think the quality in the premier league was far better in the Jim Smith years, as the top division really did start taking the best talent as opposed to Serie A.  In our 11 point season it was substantially inferior as the talent was in Spain and back in Italy to a lesser extent.  I think Sheff Utd are playing in a far weaker league now than either of those periods, as any top quality players are at two or three clubs and the rest are in Spain the remainder dotted around various leagues.

Yes I don't get the argument that the EPL is stronger now than then. 

Taking the Champions League as a yardstick There were three Premier league teams in the last four and four in the last eight. The most successful season for English teams in the competition. Both teams in the final were English. The season after was similar except only one English side in the final. The season before exactly the same. The eleven point season came exactly in the middle of the strongest series of performances of English teams in the Champions League. 

11 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Yes I don't get the argument that the EPL is stronger now than then. 

Taking the Champions League as a yardstick There were three Premier league teams in the last four and four in the last eight. The most successful season for English teams in the competition. Both teams in the final were English. The season after was similar except only one English side in the final. The season before exactly the same. The eleven point season came exactly in the middle of the strongest series of performances of English teams in the Champions League. 

Rather than the supposed strength of the Premier League, I think the main factor is the gap between the top 2 tiers.

The huge gulf in quality seems to have reduced over the last few years, with big parachute payments and lots of investment in teams trying to get promoted. Those parachute payments are designed for teams to go up and spend big, knowing they can afford to get relegated.

We didn't exactly got crazy with the money in our terrible season, but it still crippled us financially.

Whilst Sheff Utd didn't spend to get promoted, they had to be a pretty good side to go up automatically. It was still a massive achievement for them to do so well last season though.

Ironically they did spend money for this season, but the squad changes, combined with key injuries and losing Henderson, seem to have broken things.

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Rather than the supposed strength of the Premier League, I think the main factor is the gap between the top 2 tiers.

The huge gulf in quality seems to have reduced over the last few years, with big parachute payments and lots of investment in teams trying to get promoted. Those parachute payments are designed for teams to go up and spend big, knowing they can afford to get relegated.

We didn't exactly got crazy with the money in our terrible season, but it still crippled us financially.

Whilst Sheff Utd didn't spend to get promoted, they had to be a pretty good side to go up automatically. It was still a massive achievement for them to do so well last season though.

Ironically they did spend money for this season, but the squad changes, combined with key injuries and losing Henderson, seem to have broken things.

Yes I agree the quality is closer now than it was thirteen or so years ago. 

Championship is definitely stronger and the Premier league is not as strong (all relative). 

IMHO there is no way Davies's promotion side would have finished above any Derby side from 2013 to 2019 and there are a few regulars in that side who wouldn't get a sniff getting in the side we have now for all our current woes. 

Edited by SIXTEEN AGAIN

35 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

and there are a few regulars in that side who wouldn't get a sniff getting in the side we have now for all our current woes. 

True on an individual basis, but it's all about how the team (and squad) works together. Think that promotion season was my favourite chapter in Pride.

Billy built something special that season, shame it all went wrong for him after that.