Chris Martin to Bristol City: Has he scored a league goal yet?

i-Ram

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Vienna said:

Whilst accepting our current forwards are woefully inadequate doesn’t yesterday’s performance by Martin, where Wisdom and Clarke had him in their back pockets, only serve to confirm that the decision not to offer him a long / lucrative new contract was the right one - and that he wouldn’t have been the answer to our problems?

Have a nice day Mrs Marriott. ?

It would have been great to have Chrissy for another year. Great player.

Sadly for us Chrissy had to look after himself ( good on you Chris, who wouldn’t ) get a 2 year deal at a better price than we felt able to offer given his age, health history and whatever other financial and risk based equations DCFC could take on board comfortably in a complex environment for the club. 

For me, sad though it is, The club probably did the right thing in the long term, even though he would be useful in the current slump. ... Got to look ahead lads, same decision for Chris. Each party has different priorities. No one was wrong from their POV and individual needs

That’s my point - not so much a criticism of Martin, who was a great servant for Derby - partly a positive reflection on Wisdom and Clarke who I thought had a good game - but also a belief that I’d take Diedhiou over Martin any day of the week. 

I am glad he’s not here in terms of the fact he would struggle too in this side , some would be blaming him for being rubbish ,old ,slow and the rest blaming the team for letting him down, I reckon he would be frustrated as hell in our current team , nobody around him able to control one of his flicks or ,knock a simple return pass or pick the right option 

chris Martin would not help this team and this team would not help Chris Martin ,, best of luck to him ,hope he has a good season and enjoys his football , we on the other hand need to get our act together quick

40 minutes ago, Vienna said:

Whilst accepting our current forwards are woefully inadequate doesn’t yesterday’s performance by Martin, where Wisdom and Clarke had him in their back pockets, only serve to confirm that the decision not to offer him a long / lucrative new contract was the right one - and that he wouldn’t have been the answer to our problems?

@David is that you talking ultrabollox? You know forum protocol forbids you from having duplicate accounts. ?

Calling him “way past it” is very harsh. He’s not quite at the level he was, that is true, but he’s still a good championship striker. Better than anything we have currently. Didn’t have a great game yesterday, but I’d much rather have him up front holding the ball up than Waghorn. 

For what it’s worth, I do think it was the right decision to let him go, given the length of contract he was after. Too much of a risk at his age, especially considering his health issues. What wasn’t the right decision, however, was replacing him with bloody Colin Kazim-Richards. We should have been able to find someone better, the fact that we didn’t may well see us playing Accrington next season.

As Vienna said, I think yesterday's performance was aided by Clarke and Wisdom keeping him quiet. Whether we didn't know about him or not, Diedou caught us with our pants down with his pace, hence the goal, but we had the advantage of knowing a bit about chrissy's game and how to deal with him.

Archived