Chris Martin to Bristol City: Has he scored a league goal yet?

i-Ram

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we missed him last night, been wary to play this card because it’s too easy a card to play when it’s going wrong, but he’d put to shame whatever Waghorn and Lawrence produced last night.

Quick passing and movement between opposition lines, Martin excelled in it. Our current lot, do not.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not popular, but Rooney could. ?

Yeah I think I’d have Rooney as my no.9 and have the other attackers getting in and around him. Not sure how I’d have the rest, feel massively let down by them last night to be honest. I know we might not agree on the Cocu situation last night but I do think the players have to show more than what they are currently doing.

One thing I will say about our current attacking set up is that too much of our play is being pushed wide and we aren’t getting the best out of any attacking threat we have. We don’t have a threat in the box or the quality of cross to make it dangerous. We need to get more central.

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I know we might not agree on the Cocu situation last night but I do think the players have to show more than what they are currently doing.

I think we'd get more out of them if we kept it simple and played them where they play best. Thought Clarke looked happier in a 4, and Davies too (although what a crazy Keogh-style rush up field he did!). There's never a chance to settle and get to know your position and team-mates, know where they'll be and/or what they'll do. This is the Championship I think he's wanting too much from the players - remember the constant talk of showing thay can 'play how Cocu wants'. Anyway, I think he's the wrong appointment and even our youth aren't benefitting as it seemed.

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Thought we missed him last night, been wary to play this card because it’s too easy a card to play when it’s going wrong, but he’d put to shame whatever Waghorn and Lawrence produced last night.

Quick passing and movement between opposition lines, Martin excelled in it. Our current lot, do not.

Has he scored yet ? Top trump ?

20 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think we'd get more out of them if we kept it simple and played them where they play best. Thought Clarke looked happier in a 4, and Davies too (although what a crazy Keogh-style rush up field he did!). There's never a chance to settle and get to know your position and team-mates, know where they'll be and/or what they'll do. This is the Championship I think he's wanting too much from the players - remember the constant talk of showing thay can 'play how Cocu wants'. Anyway, I think he's the wrong appointment and even our youth aren't benefitting as it seemed.

I had the conversation in real life yesterday about how our game seems so overly complicated at the minute and that it’s a sign of a manager under pressure. A lot of the time in football the more simple the better. BUT I do think there’s an argument that the players are getting the basics wrong which is making the tactics look so much worse. For example I thought we looked ok and winning the ball on Wednesday night but how many times did it breakdown around the attackers between the semi circle and their box? Too many passes behind a player, an extra touch or with having no clue what to do with it once they received it? I’m not sure how much of that is Cocu’s fault rather than the players. Also to keep this post in some sort of relevance for the thread, it’s in this transitional play we are really missing Martin.

One thing I do think Cocu has got wrong this time is how he’s treated the squad this time within how he’s rotated it. Forsyth is a good example, although Buchanan was well worth his spot, because Fos was essentially left out in the cold then brought in randomly on Wednesday and I’m not sure you will get the best out of anyone doing that. I’d bring Wisdom in for Byrne at the weekend, but when you’ve dropped him for three games in a time of the season where everyone is finding their legs it’s very difficult to come in and make the desired impact. Te Wierwik is another example.

Im still with Cocu at this moment, because I think it’s a short term solution to a long term problem, and on my list of what’s wrong with Derby at the moment Cocu is quite far down my list. I was going to write a big post in the main forum but I was a bit too aware it’d get a load of grief so decided against it. I’ll do a quick overview here and although it’s off topic it might mean it can be a sensible discussion!

1) the players, especially the senior attacking ones need to show more. What they put in on Tuesday was a shambles to me and from what I can see so far are getting off very lightly.

2) the finances, this is the season it’s really showing that we’ve overspent stupidly. You only need to look at the signings and although they’ve been ok there’s a huge difference with clubs that have had a bit of money to spend and the impact those signings have made

3) the knee jerk reactions of fans and radio Derby, but of a niche one and fans are fans etc. But one thing i do think is a bit funny is a few weeks the calls of needing the senior players back we very loud and clear and now we need to see more of the youth players. Both are blind panic responses that I don’t think are helpful and add even more pressure onto Cocu. As stated before it’s the players on the pitch that need to show more character whoever they are. Another is the pressure of the young players, how many were in fans 11 before the start of the season? Have we overrated them and therefore are getting frustrated because we think they are better than what they currently are?

Apologies as I’ve written too much and rambled but I’ve got it off my chest at least

TL:DR, Chris Martin was good wasn’t he?

Archived