Chris Martin to Bristol City: Has he scored a league goal yet?

i-Ram

33 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

As Vienna said, I think yesterday's performance was aided by Clarke and Wisdom keeping him quiet. Whether we didn't know about him or not, Diedou caught us with our pants down with his pace, hence the goal, but we had the advantage of knowing a bit about chrissy's game and how to deal with him.

Not enough defenders back for their goal.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loving the incendiary nature of the thread title...

Do feel you then failed to follow through and only pulled the pin and rolled the grenade...for it to be merely a dud. 

Same logic as fans saying 'Rooney can't do any worse than Cocu as manager'.... Colin isn't the answer and whilst Chris is better, he definitely was not the ultimate solution. 

3 hours ago, Vienna said:

Whilst accepting our current forwards are woefully inadequate doesn’t yesterday’s performance by Martin, where Wisdom and Clarke had him in their back pockets, only serve to confirm that the decision not to offer him a long / lucrative new contract was the right one - and that he wouldn’t have been the answer to our problems?

When you posted this I thought you were new to this parish.

But, after checking I noticed you joined in 2015. You’re just so mystic and soulful.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

As Vienna said, I think yesterday's performance was aided by Clarke and Wisdom keeping him quiet. Whether we didn't know about him or not, Diedou caught us with our pants down with his pace, hence the goal, but we had the advantage of knowing a bit about chrissy's game and how to deal with him.

That and everyone needs to realise Chris Martin was emotionally traumatised playing against his beloved Rams, it totally threw his game, I mean he had no heart to hit the deck when challenged or the slightest nudge, the poor bloke just wasn’t himself.

He was constantly getting flashbacks of Bryso bombing on past him and Will, Jeff, Johnny and Jamie feeding him balls to feet, it all got too much. No way could he put in a shift in with such conflicting emotions.

Chrissy Martin, love or hate him, Derby’s no 9 and whatever his current form, right up there in the scoring charts, the haters can’t ever take that away.

51 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

When you posted this I thought you were new to this parish.

But, after checking I noticed you joined in 2015. You’re just so mystic and soulful.

I am a man of few words - my greatest work goes largely unnoticed!

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Loving the incendiary nature of the thread title...

Do feel you then failed to follow through and only pulled the pin and rolled the grenade...for it to be merely a dud. 

Same logic as fans saying 'Rooney can't do any worse than Cocu as manager'.... Colin isn't the answer and whilst Chris is better, he definitely was not the ultimate solution. 

My point was not to start another debate about Martin’s contribution to Derby - that is clear. It was more a questioning of the view that all would have been ok if he was still our main man - yes I think we’d have been slightly better with him than has been the case (couldn’t be much worse I hear you say). Clearly as many have said failure to sign a quality CF was our biggest mistake, not the departure of Martin. 

4 hours ago, Vienna said:

That’s my point - not so much a criticism of Martin, who was a great servant for Derby - partly a positive reflection on Wisdom and Clarke who I thought had a good game - but also a belief that I’d take Diedhiou over Martin any day of the week. 

I like this story:-

The play "Goodnight Vienna" had its opening night in Wigan.

The producer asked the doorman how it was going.

"About as well as 'Goodnight Wigan' would go down in Vienna!"

Totally off topic but we need a bit of cheering up!

4 hours ago, Bristol City said:

Directly contributed to 5 goals so far. 433 doesn't work for him, injuries, blabla, etcetera.

saw him moan and throw his arms up in the air a few times....don't miss that part for sure and 433 worked for him with us..... he was just poor yesterday 

42 minutes ago, Vienna said:

My point was not to start another debate about Martin’s contribution to Derby - that is clear. It was more a questioning of the view that all would have been ok if he was still our main man - yes I think we’d have been slightly better with him than has been the case (couldn’t be much worse I hear you say). Clearly as many have said failure to sign a quality CF was our biggest mistake, not the departure of Martin. 

Clear as mud more like.

I preferred your work when it went even more unnoticed.

We would have a better balance to the side and more goal threat with CM than any other striker we have. Regardless of how he played yesterday, we are lightweight up front and letting him go without a replacement feels like a big error given our current predicament.

I understand why he went, it's done. Failure to replace him was a poor call.

I’d read somewhere before he was injured, I’d missed the first 2 mins and was watching without sound so genuinely didn’t realise he was playing until late in the first half. I echo several sentiments on here that I was a big Chris Martin fan, though agree with the long term decision not to give him 2 fairly expensive years, so a small part of my conflicted mind was happy he didn’t have a notable game. 

This is just getting embarrassing at this point. Don't you think you should wait until we've scored more goals than can be counted on one hand before sounding off about a past striker? Or maybe you think losing 1-0 to Bristol City is as good as it's going to get for us. So we may as well pretend that we got a brilliant deal by letting them sign our joint top scorer on a free.

Suck it Brizzle! You only beat us 1-0 and Martin didn't even score, so it's a moral victory for us.

Martin was a great signing for us, however for anyone who still thought he was the answer (regardless of our current predicament) yesterday should have ended any argument. He was completely dominated by Wisdom & Clarke and offered nothing. We need a striker, but not in the Martin mould at all. Thanks for the memories, but it was the right time to move on. The fact we didn't replace him with what is actually needed is the problem.

Archived