Nottingham Forest v Derby County Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thinking about this; when no action either at the time or retrospectively was taken against Jordan Pickford for the tackle last weekend, then it shows the abject level of refereeing for what it is.

Nowadays linesman don't even indicate the direction of a throw-in until the ref points.

29 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

You got that from a still with players moving . You’re wrong here.

The referee is unsighted on Waggy, he is relying on his linesman’s call there, that’s why they are there as well. I can see why the lino gave it because Waggy jumped.... I can see the thought process even though it was ultimately wrong.

They all got a lot right tonight. Take McCarthy reaction to Lawerence going over early on. He went pen straight away. It wasn’t and he should have been in the book.

Officials make mistakes, accept it as much as when players make mistakes. They are not corrupt, 99% of the time they have competent at the job they do.

The way some go think they try to ruin a football game. They don’t, come down the Racecourse with me on a Sunday and see some of what the younger refs have to put up with. Seen some shocking treatment them already this season down there with them being in tears on occasions, because of abuse from coaches, parents and actual players giving them grief - where do you think they get it from?

Well said Mafia. 

21 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

I think that goal should probably have been disallowed, seems harsh but I think it's correct. Waggy just shouldn't be there.

When you're in bad form you just don't get the decisions

I think this is right although annoyed at the time 

Personally I have been a critic of both Lawrence and Buchanan. Tonight I admit to maybe being hard on them, first half they were possibly the best two players on the pitch.

Cannot wait for someone to start making the most of some of those runs made by Kamil too

32 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

You got that from a still with players moving . You’re wrong here.

The referee is unsighted on Waggy, he is relying on his linesman’s call there, that’s why they are there as well. I can see why the lino gave it because Waggy jumped.... I can see the thought process even though it was ultimately wrong.

They all got a lot right tonight. Take McCarthy reaction to Lawerence going over early on. He went pen straight away. It wasn’t and he should have been in the book.

Officials make mistakes, accept it as much as when players make mistakes. They are not corrupt, 99% of the time they have competent at the job they do.

The way some go think they try to ruin a football game. They don’t, come down the Racecourse with me on a Sunday and see some of what the younger refs have to put up with. Seen some shocking treatment them already this season down there with them being in tears on occasions, because of abuse from coaches, parents and actual players giving them grief - where do you think they get it from?

First off I thought there was enough of a touch for penalty but it is opinions. 

It has been reported on the radio last night that the llinesman was heard asking the ref two or three times if he thought Waghorn was interfering and raised the flag when the reply came yes. 

11 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Good performance and everyone contributed. Special mentions for:

Davies- very solid defensively

Buchanan- top performance, looked like a seasoned pro

Knight and Shinnie- you need players like these, proper workhorses who drive the team forwards

Lawrence, wags and Keith- lawrence was the pick of the bunch, but all worked hard and gave us a platform going forwards

We are looking better with each game now and players are Slowly coming into form.

The criticism I will mention is that flat spot we have for 20 odd mins at the start of the second half, we need to address that and if we do it could be the thing that turns results our way!

Good comments, think the start of second half we just tried to weather the storm. Forest looked a lot better when Knockaert came on and they changed tactics. 

Less pratting about at the back with sideways, pointless passes and a mobile midfield two willing to run and put their foot in. These are the big changes for me, which allowed our returning creative players to have an impact.

I dearly hope that Shinnie isn’t dropped to accommodate Rooney when he can play again. I think that decision will tell us a lot about Cocu personally.

Nice to moan about the ref for a change instead of our own players and manager.

51 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Nowadays linesman don't even indicate the direction of a throw-in until the ref points.

There's a reason for that. The ref (middle) will have likely told the AR (line) that if they're unsure of direction (AR watching the offside line instead of managing to see who the ball was last played off) then to wait for the ref to make a decision. 

Better a late correct call than a wrong early call. 

Being an AR is really not as easy as some people seem to think it is. 

9 minutes ago, Wazztie16 said:

There's a reason for that. The ref (middle) will have likely told the AR (line) that if they're unsure of direction (AR watching the offside line instead of managing to see who the ball was last played off) then to wait for the ref to make a decision. 

Better a late correct call than a wrong early call. 

Being an AR is really not as easy as some people seem to think it is. 

Agreed. I ran the line for my sons Sunday League team a few years back. Very difficult job....

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agreed. I ran the line for my sons Sunday League team a few years back. Very difficult job....

I never liked in the MRA second division that those running the line were either subs from a team or coaches. I scored a header from a free kick. Ref gave it, but the keeper shouted to his mate put the flag up, so he did and goal wiped out. I knew I was onside, they all did!

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I never liked in the MRA second division that those running the line were either subs from a team or coaches. I scored a header from a free kick. Ref gave it, but the keeper shouted to his mate put the flag up, so he did and goal wiped out. I knew I was onside, they all did!

I was the other way, always gave the opposition team the benefit of the doubt. Didn’t take kindly to this little upstart of a Manager calling me a cheat though. Walked around the pitch at half time to ask him if he would like to repeat it. He didn’t ?

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I thought our 2nd goal was correctly disallowed at the time. Perhaps it shouldn't have been, but fairly tight margins.

I'm saying this as I thought the ref was excellent tonight and seemed to get every decision pretty much spot on. Probably a bit easier to ref that game with no fans.

Excellent? He had 3 big decisions to make all evening and 2 of them he got wrong.

1 - Lawrence penalty decision was a great spot from the ref. I was convinced it was a penalty in real time but replays made me think it was a dive. Not sure why the ref didn't book him though.

2 - Forest goal there was a foul on Davies which he missed. Also a Forest player offside just to the side of Marshall 

3 - Derby goal ruled out, if the Forest goal is not offside then neither is this

Thought general running of the game was good but to be excellent you've got to get the big decisions right surely?

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

The defensive midfielder has been our virus in that it stops us getting forward more often and if we play 3 at the back then surely we don’t need one whilst the industry of knight and Shinnie cover the ground in front of them. And yes with Marshall actually playing the ball sensibly by getting it away from our penalty area and to our forward players it removes a lot of the sideways sideways backwards stuff.

You have a point. I have long felt that defensive mid was the easiest position on the pitch. Tip tapping it about Don Masson style to no effect, and slowing the team down.
he used to drive me - and half of the team - crackers, but now I realise he was probably 40 years ahead of his time.

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Less pratting about at the back with sideways, pointless passes and a mobile midfield two willing to run and put their foot in. These are the big changes for me, which allowed our returning creative players to have an impact.

I dearly hope that Shinnie isn’t dropped to accommodate Rooney when he can play again. I think that decision will tell us a lot about Cocu personally.

Nice to moan about the ref for a change instead of our own players and manager.

Or tell us alot about rooney/red's deal

Good team performance, good selection from Cocu, tactics spot on in the first half, started 2nd half a little off it, Cocu changes it, and we get on top again, and should have won, this team will go from strength to strength, to many fans panic to quickly, we will be fine with Cocu, leading us up the table, can see better times coming, still got Bielik, Rooney and Ibe to come into the match day squad, we will be fine. 

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Excellent? He had 3 big decisions to make all evening and 2 of them he got wrong.

1 - Lawrence penalty decision was a great spot from the ref. I was convinced it was a penalty in real time but replays made me think it was a dive. Not sure why the ref didn't book him though.

2 - Forest goal there was a foul on Davies which he missed. Also a Forest player offside just to the side of Marshall 

3 - Derby goal ruled out, if the Forest goal is not offside then neither is this

Thought general running of the game was good but to be excellent you've got to get the big decisions right surely?

2 and 3 were marginal calls for me. Can see why he made both decisions and don't strongly disagree with them. Can understand why he disallowed our goal with Waghorn jumping as if he was getting out the way of the ball.

I'm fine with marginal decisions going either way. It's the continual bad decisions that ruin games. I think he got nearly all of these spot on.

Archived