Nottingham Forest v Derby County Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

30 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Looks like Ibe needs to shift at least 2 stone in weight from that u23 clip.  Might be christmas till we see him.

I thought that. But he’s still carrying less timber than wazza.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jozwiak’s goal was a goal. Absolutely robbed. 

Great performance tonight. Defended well, looked a threat. Probably our best performance in an East Midlands Derby for a long time.

The front 3 of Jozwiak Waggy and Lawrence transforms us. Look a real threat, lots if interchange, Waggy when required can do the target man piece adequately but  then has so much more to his game. Lawrence was outstanding tonight. 

Knight was everywhere as was Shinnie who is vital to this team. Byrne and the back 3 did well, Marshall also. Buchanan is an amazing talent, masterstroke to sell Lowe and give Buchanan the opportunity, has far more potential. 

Genuinely think the season starts here. Well done Phillip. Well done lads!!????

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Don’t think it was a penalty, lucky not to get booked for diving.

My gut instinct was it was a pen, on second viewing I thought it would have been a bit soft but there was still contact. I can understamd people thinking it's not a penalty but it falls ino it falls in the category of seen them given and even upheld by VAR. For consistency I think it should have been given, the same reason if their goal was allowed ours should have stood too.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

The point being made was that if the original poster couldn't accept that the decisions made tonight were down to incompetence then the only other explanation was that they were down to a systematic agenda against us or deliberate bias. 

Then it was a bad point. I was never under any illusion of it being anything other than a bad call from the referee, but that was never what was being discussed anyway. You were the one insinuating any of the latter points. 

Just now, Ruda Harliss said:

Maybe, just maybe we don’t put Cocu’s tactics and head on the block just yet?

I'm not going to change my position and say based off one game I now believe in Cocu and I'm fully behind it, because it'd be a lie. But tonight was much, much better. More performances like that and I'll have nothing to moan about. 

It was a tight game full of nervous energy and short on quality, but we produced all of those moments, to be honest.

We were very unfortunate with Shinnie’s missed chance and Jozwiak’s disallowed goal. On another day, we get the rub and end up winning 3-1.

I guess the sense of injustice is only the same that was felt by Forest in July after having the better of that game, so tonight was very much things evening themselves out.

You have to hope that we can use the injustice to drive us forwards, because I think we can take plenty of encouragement from that performance.

The application, the organisation, the desire, the spirit - it was all there. A genuine team effort and it went some way to responding to the recent media speculation surrounding Cocu and Rooney.

The big positives for me were Byrne and Buchanan again being full of attacking endeavour and you can see Jozwiak is starting to settle in and impose himself more on games.

Not winning is going to sting for a few days but we might look back on this as a valuable point, especially if we kick on and pick up more positive results next week.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Then it was a bad point. I was never under any illusion of it being anything other than a bad call from the referee, but that was never what was being discussed anyway. You were the one insinuating any of the latter points. 

I've actually replied to a few posters with the same observations so wasn't particularly targeted at yourself. But understand your feelings as I've already stated. Not much more I can add. 

No coincidence we play with  experienced skillful forward thinking players and hey presto we look a lot better. All played well if course but mainly because the ball was either sticking up front or being carried forward ar pace. It's what we have been missing. Hope Ibe and Bielik can contribute as athletes soon as wel. 

Oh... And finally we'll played Phillip Cocu very well played indeed. 

8 minutes ago, Ram Bam said:

My gut instinct was it was a pen, on second viewing I thought it would have been a bit soft but there was still contact. I can understamd people thinking it's not a penalty but it falls ino it falls in the category of seen them given and even upheld by VAR. For consistency I think it should have been given, the same reason if their goal was allowed ours should have stood too.

Grealish would have been given a penalty, he's mastered the art.

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Where on earth did I say that. The point being made was that if the original poster couldn't accept that the decisions made tonight were down to incompetence then the only other explanation was that they were down to a systematic agenda against us or deliberate bias. 

Their goal could have been disallowed absolutely. But it wasn't.  Don't understand what your point is. 

It was neither for the disallowed goal. Waggy jumping gave the lino a decision to make, the ref I felt was unsighted by Waggy when Jozwiak shot. It was the wrong decision but I can see why the lino gave it, even if it was wrong. 

One thing we could have improved on is spotting Jozwiak's runs.

He made some great runs behind and Lawrence and Waghorn missed 4 opportunities between them to slip him in. On 2 of the occasions he would have been clean through for a 1 on 1.

Something to work on to bring us 3 points 

AS most have said, that was loads better. Loads of passion and commitment, no silly or rash fouls, and hardly a foot put wrong by the Rams, tonight. I can perhaps criticise Shinnie, because he should have scored, but he shouldn't have had the opportunity because in the build up it was the second of two chances Byrne had to belt the ball first time from outside the box but he chose to pass instead. And Wisdom, who had another of his "Pink Floyd" moments for the Forest goal. But, no it should have stood, not only for the player in an offside position, but for the double foul on Davis, who was prevented from jumping, and missed the ball as it came over him, and had his shirt pulled during the same incident. A Forest fan friend tried to justify it by saying that sort of thing goes on in the penalty area all the time, ignoring the fact that a foul is a foul.

It is the first time I have watched the Trees since we last played them, and I am disappointing. They can play a bit, (only a little bit!), but there is far too much "leaving the foot or elbow in), far too much mardy moaning, and far too much yelping at the ref. Why the should be in his face I have no idea, given what they got away with, including the foul on Byrne right in front of him, but he did noting, with the Trees getting a corner from it. What followed was actually really good - Knockeart got the ball, and Chris Hughton shouted "Knock it out" to him, and the ball went over the bar. Excellent, and honourable, which I didn't think I would ever say about the trees!

Bringing Knockeart on changed the game is he is a terrific player, when he isn't being dirty and mouthing at the ref, and it put an extra man in midfield which tended to stem our flow of play through their midfield. It took us a while to adapt, which we did and got back on top again.

What I did like was that for the second match in a row, we moved the ball quickly, and transitioned through the midfield really well. It means that Cocu has significantly changed how we play, and moved away from playing it out from the back to a large degree. It seemed that the only time we deliberately played out from the back, Wisdom literally played the ball out for a throw-in! AS many have said, Rooney should have a tough job getting back into the team, and that is two games in a row where we have been quicker and slicker through the midfield. Co-incidence?

Oh, and Waggy's goal: the pundits criticised the keeper for taking a tiny step to his left meaning he couldn't reach the shot, but actually Waggy made him take that step by disguising what he was going to do. It was clear he was going to side-foo the ball, which means it would go over the wall and too his right, but instead he sent it to the left top corner, and Samba had no chance at all! Great stuff!

Finally, thanks to our impartial Sky commentary team, where in the first half Mick McCarthy said, speaking of Forest "We need to change our formation".

"We". "Our". .............................. impartial? So normal Sky service then. And finally, no we are not being singeld out for crap refereeing decisions by the EFL. All that is happening is that Covid-19 hasn't had a single bit of influence on refereeing performances, with business carrying on as normal. Someone thinks things will even out as well will get a few homers during the season. Homers? at pride park? I'm sorry, you've got me with that one!

There are loads of things to work on and look  forward to, because we keep on building on what has gone before, and what has just gone "before" has laid the foundations for a good season. 

COME ON YOU RAMS!

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'm not going to change my position and say based off one game I now believe in Cocu and I'm fully behind it, because it'd be a lie. But tonight was much, much better. More performances like that and I'll have nothing to moan about. 

I never asked you to

to be fair I never directed my post at anyone in particular.

Really good performance and hopefully with players fit, we'll see plenty more of them.  Not many games under Cocu (or even Frank) when we've played well for most of the game.

The only spell they had on top was after half time with the formation change and Knockhart(?) looking dangerous. But Cocu changed things and we took control for the last quarter.

There was also nothing defensive with our 5 at the back. Wings back are often the most advanced players and it's much more of a 3-4-3.

Byrne and Buchanan are great too, looking better than Lowe and Bogle already.

We also are mixing it up so much more already. Sometimes longer balls, sometime short ones, with some lovely touches.

Lots of positive signs we can go on from there.

I’m a massive fan of Jozwiak playing with the mentality of someone in a Derby. The passion when he scored, pressing the ball in the 90th minute and squaring up to someone twice his size is exactly what I want to see in a Derby shirt. 

Archived