Nottingham Forest v Derby County Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

29 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Correct. Evidently it was offside though, because that’s what the officials gave. 

No-one seems to be asking why Waghorn was where he was. Not the first time he'd been 'ahead of play' shall we say. Can't say I'm surprised it's given as offside in an away game. Why take such a risk?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Well tell us how they're accountable then, from your experience?

Honestly I'm generally on the side of the refs, I've seen plenty of biased fans calling something wrong when it was clearly right, and stuck up for decisions, but sometimes there are things which need calling out.

it seems that only way a top official (like Bobby Madley) ever faces any real consequence is though media ********. The general perception is that they're 'demoted' for a few games , but in reality their worse decisions have a far greater consequence to teams lower down the period than those up above 

You’re marked to the inch of your life every game.

From my own personal experience, I reffed one game was at a decent Saturday level..... You can judge early on if you’re seeing the game right, I felt it was going well, no complaints.... you then get complacent, I missed a horrible tackle on a player....

When I got feedback, that game pretty much stopped me from being promoted to a better level for the next season.

You have to make sure everything is right, making sure subs come on at the half way line, all signals are clear, when running the line, making sure the flag is in the hand closest to the pitch at all times, flag is up straight for offside. It really is strictly assessed the higher up you go.

Refs get taken off games as you allude too, but probably look at it this way - if that news of refs being “banned” is in the news weekly, how do you expect them to recover and improve, because the first thing a fan, manager or player would say, you’re poo and got banned..... I get the frustration of transparency etc, but I would just err on the side of caution..... don’t get me wrong, I’d rather refs get the chance to speak about decisions etc, why I’m a firm believer in them having mics.

Apologies if I’ve not covered what you’re after, I’m trying my best to explain. 

On 23/10/2020 at 21:59, Cool As Custard said:

From my perspective Rooney doesnt get back in that team

We have to go to a back 4 - especially at home. There will be some games we need a 5-2-3 especially against the top teams away from home. Sibley looked tasty when he came on tonight 

Best XI for me.....

Marshall

Byrne    Davies   Clarke    Buchanan

Shinnie Knight

Lawrence      Sibley   Jowziak

Waghorn

In tough games away from home drop Sibley & bring in Wisdom/Bielik for a back 5

Ibe can come off the bench until he is fully fit

I like this , for the first time this season we are debating who dosnt get in the team because others are doing well and deserve to keep their place, and this will only get harder with Ibe, Bielik to come back as well as Dutch Mike and a couple of youngsters pushing for a place

16 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Apparently thats allowed unless you are in the goalkeepers line of sight

That’s the point I have continued to make, that is why their goal should have been ruled out, blatant foul...not the other rubbish as it wasn’t offside and player wasn’t obstructing Marshall’s view....

On 24/10/2020 at 20:45, Mafiabob said:

You’re marked to the inch of your life every game.

From my own personal experience, I reffed one game was at a decent Saturday level..... You can judge early on if you’re seeing the game right, I felt it was going well, no complaints.... you then get complacent, I missed a horrible tackle on a player....

When I got feedback, that game pretty much stopped me from being promoted to a better level for the next season.

You have to make sure everything is right, making sure subs come on at the half way line, all signals are clear, when running the line, making sure the flag is in the hand closest to the pitch at all times, flag is up straight for offside. It really is strictly assessed the higher up you go.

Refs get taken off games as you allude too, but probably look at it this way - if that news of refs being “banned” is in the news weekly, how do you expect them to recover and improve, because the first thing a fan, manager or player would say, you’re poo and got banned..... I get the frustration of transparency etc, but I would just err on the side of caution..... don’t get me wrong, I’d rather refs get the chance to speak about decisions etc, why I’m a firm believer in them having mics.

Apologies if I’ve not covered what you’re after, I’m trying my best to explain. 

This is such a good post. I know I'm personally irrationally critical of refs as I have a fan's perspectives but I think it's just obvious everything would be better if refs were miked up - including hearing player abuse.

In the case of the disallowed goal it's impossible for the linesman to know if Waghorn is in the keeper's eye line as the lino is off the pitch at the wrong angle. It can only be a decision for the referee. We saw on the replays Waghorn was outside of the goal and not in the keeper's line of sight when the ball was struck. I would want to hear the ref discussing this with the linesman. We don't know if that even happened.

Further, the Forest fans on their forum claim their players put pressure on the lino to make him change his mind and put his flag up when he didn't initially. They saw it as a victory for player intimidation. You seem to see this time and time again. I think it's wrong and I'd love to see players carded for any attempted intimidate of the ref. But until that happens, I believe a reason Derby seem to  be on the wrong side of far more than our fair share of decisions is because we're too nice and don't exert the same pressure on the officials.

57 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is such a good post. I know I'm personally irrationally critical of refs as I have a fan's perspectives but I think it's just obvious everything would be better if refs were miked up - including hearing player abuse.

In the case of the disallowed goal it's impossible for the linesman to know if Waghorn is in the keeper's eye line as the lino is off the pitch at the wrong angle. It can only be a decision for the referee. We saw on the replays Waghorn was outside of the goal and not in the keeper's line of sight when the ball was struck. I would want to hear the ref discussing this with the linesman. We don't know if that even happened.

Further, the Forest fans on their forum claim their players put pressure on the lino to make him change his mind and put his flag up when he didn't initially. They saw it as a victory for player intimidation. You seem to see this time and time again. I think it's wrong and I'd love to see players carded for any attempted intimidate of the ref. But until that happens, I believe a reason Derby seem to  be on the wrong side of far more than our fair share of decisions is because we're too nice and don't exert the same pressure on the officials.

This is the key bit for me. Either the ref can say for certain that Waghorn is in the keeper's line of sight or not. Replays show that Waghorn doesn't block line of sight. If the ref isn't sure I don't see how he can make the decision let alone fall back on the linesman.

Archived