Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

28 minutes ago, jono said:

But businesses face the same issues every day .. if a clothing company makes a range that doesn't sell, or a car company invests a fortune in a lemon that no one takes to, or has the wrong engine and taxation puts the punters off. The values crash, they lose money. Business history is littered with names that were "relegated"

I don’t think it’s quite the same. Promotion to the premier league is financially worth what compared to championship? Several times increase in money? Additionally, football clubs are often established parts of the community that employ lots of people and that involve local businesses and partnerships so many people have a vested interest in a club’s performance on the field ultimately. 
What happens if owners are allowed to spend infinitely on players on long contracts, then just leave? 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Championship clubs already receive about £5m per season from the Premier League. L1 clubs get just under £1m, and L2 clubs about £0.5m.

About the wages of one above average PL player I suppose, not exactly generous is it ? Yet the desire to be PL that gives it so much glamour. 

17 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

I don’t think it’s quite the same. Promotion to the premier league is financially worth what compared to championship? Several times increase in money? Additionally, football clubs are often established parts of the community that employ lots of people and that involve local businesses and partnerships so many people have a vested interest in a club’s performance on the field ultimately. 
What happens if owners are allowed to spend infinitely on players on long contracts, then just leave? 

The club might fail .. just as a car maker fails and all the subcontractors and customers take a hit. Rover ? 

2 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

What system could there be? 
There needs to be something to prevent overspending and mismanagement. Or at least make it harder for clubs to go bust. 

like Simon Jordan says 

clubs will instantly be run better if the owners are responsible for underwriting debt associated to the club  

1 hour ago, jono said:

About the wages of one above average PL player I suppose, not exactly generous is it ? Yet the desire to be PL that gives it so much glamour. 

That's why the PL is such a carrot for all clubs.  Watford, a team I have followed for decades (I live not far from there) will come down to join us with a £90m parachute payment (split over 3 years).  OK their revenue will drop massively but they'll bank £40m straight away, plus whatever they get for Sarr (asking £40m+), plus whatever else they get fir anyone else they sell, i.e. our Will. 

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

More than £100m between the 72.

The 18/19 season...
Championship: £4.65m per club
League 1: £0.7m per club
League 2: £0.5m per club

In the 18/19 £265m was split between 8 teams in parachute payments

The question is less about the amount and more about distribution

5 hours ago, jono said:

But businesses face the same issues every day .. if a clothing company makes a range that doesn't sell, or a car company invests a fortune in a lemon that no one takes to, or has the wrong engine and taxation puts the punters off. The values crash, they lose money. Business history is littered with names that were "relegated"

Yes absolutely. Most successful businesses are well managed. It's only my perception, but I would think the majority of football clubs are poorly managed financially (look at the situation DCFC are in....). Most PL and a lot of championship clubs seem unable to accept that the business model is unsustainable (nothing to do with Covid-19). SKY are desperate to keep a grip on live footy, so they pay more for the product than it's worth. The clubs get more money every time the rights are up for renewal, with no improvement in the quality of the  goods. The clubs then go out and spaff more money on excessive transfer fees and increasing player wages. It's quite clear that top flight players are grossly overpaid, but no one is willing to address the issue. It's a ticking time bomb. 

6 hours ago, jono said:

But football clubs are toys of leisure for rich people who make their money in proper businesses. A football club to a rich man is like a play station to a kid.

Archived