Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

But, the EFL had the last laugh...

Macclesfield were charged for not paying players on time and other things, they were only given a 2 point deduction which meant Stevenage were relegated on the points per game thingy. Macclesfield were also given a further 4 point deduction, which would have relegated them and saved Stevenage, but the EFL suspended the 4 points for a year, so Stevange still went down.

Lots of clubs protested against the 2 point deduction as they felt it was far too leniant, guess what the EFL did???....nothing.

So Stevenage successfully challenged their charge, were found not guilty and put in a claim for damages against the EFL, but the EFL found a way to relegate them anyway.

They seem to act like a mafia, taking revenge whenever they see fit. Mel opening his mouth about the TV deal clearly put out club in the firing line.

This just makes me detest them even more.

14 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

Although it seems it was a very quick process for stevenage and that was during lockdown also.

It mentions that Stevenage were represented by Nick De Marco QC.

I'm sure I heard his name mentioned as our QC in the current tribunal?

6 hours ago, Crazy said:

Quoting you as you're the most recent, but I've seen quite a few people suggest it. I'm not sure I see how our season preparation is disrupted.

The EFL case is going to be being dealt with by lawyers, not Cocu and the coaching team. 

Pre-season isn't going to change - "ah lads, I've just heard we've got a points penalty, so we're not going to get promoted, so we're not going to try to win games this year, might as well take it easy".

We haven't signed anyone other than MTW, but then again, hardly anyone has - it's just what the market is like right now. The only transfers that may depend on if we have a deduction or not, would be big money signings gambling on promotion this year, and I think we all know that's not a good idea anyway.

We can't even say season ticket sales are affected by it. 

So what is it that might be different as a result of us still waiting for the result? 

6 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

As much as I’d wish you were right, you Surely  can’t think that this charge didn’t play a massive factor in us not signing a single player during the January window? 

Recruitment is going to be the biggest problem with this charge hanging over us, our top targets should all be ambitious players looking for the best chance to get to the prem. with a possible 12 point deduction hanging over us that puts us to the back of the queue 

That and the fact that if the charges are upheld we may need to offload half the squad to balance the books.  I can imagine we have a relatively small budget as it is, so Cocu will want guarantees of any additional cash he's got to play with.

25 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

That and the fact that if the charges are upheld we may need to offload half the squad to balance the books.  I can imagine we have a relatively small budget as it is, so Cocu will want guarantees of any additional cash he's got to play with.

The cynic in me believes That it’s being dragged out purposely so even if we are found not guilty itl bugger up our transfer plans anyway.

16 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

The cynic in me believes That it’s being dragged out purposely so even if we are found not guilty itl bugger up our transfer plans anyway.

I'm hoping that the delay is because we have been found not guilty and we immediately put a claim in for Loss of investment and now that side of things is being heard...

We can but hope 

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'm hoping that the delay is because we have been found not guilty and we immediately put a claim in for Loss of investment and now that side of things is being heard...

We can but hope 

I think you are partly right, but I think they are waiting for a day that they can slip it out when attention is elsewhere, to spare the blush's

I've heard the delay is down to the EFL informing the other 23 members of last season's Championship that they face a 12 point deduction for valuing their players incorrectly.

Now down to negotiation between the league and those clubs who've changed division over an appropriate sanction, but as it stands Bournemouth, Norwich, Watford, Derby, Rotherham, Coventry and Wycombe are the only teams to start next season on 0 points.

Wouldn’t it be fabulous to have just one closed season with nothing to mess up our recruitment and planning. Frank ruined last year and now we have this. I’m starting to really dislike football now. It’s 90% bother, spin, politics and legalities and 10% football. 

I’d venture a suggestion.

Let’s just have an almost free for all.

If you’re luckY enough to have a rich owner then good on you. Or, If you go bust then it’s a simple penalty ( if you reform)  .. you drop one league. Parachute payments .. no way .. draw up contracts properly or face the consequences. Premier league .. to which the lower leagues are all feeders, pay a league support levy which is distributed pro rata based on match day attendance. 

On 10/08/2020 at 11:52, RandomAccessMemory said:

It's not a standard 12 points like with administration though. I know Sheffield Wednesday have been deducted 12, but the assumption with that is because the stadium sale wasn't accepted for 2017/18 at all, then they went over by £15m or more which means 12 points on the sliding scale. They were found not guilty of the second part, related to deliberately concealing information, which means no additional (up to) 9 points were deducted, for aggravating factors, which means the absolute maximum possible deduction is 21 points.

Our case doesn't mean a straight 12 point deduction unless we would have gone over by £15m or more. If the sale is accepted at a lesser value, and I see no reason why that shouldn't be the case (at the very least) as both Villa and Reading's sales seem to have been accepted and ours took place in the correct financial year, we still make a profit from the sale, so that reduces the loss that would have been made without it. The amortisation method makes it more confusing in our case, as that changing changes more than just the incomings, it changes the profits made on outgoings as their book value would have been lower when we sold them, so more profit made and not as simple as just adjusting one and not the other.

The EFL statement doesn't make any reference to misleading them or concealing information, the club one says we have acted transparently and there has been no allegation to the contrary by the EFL. This would suggest the additional (up to) 9 points, for aggravating factors, has never been 'in play' in our case, as there are no aggravating factors.

Also meant to say, we may be found guilty of both changes, not guilty of both charges, or guilty of one and not guilty of the other, either way around. It's also possible we may be found guilty on a technicality, but that mitigating circumstances, like the EFL claiming to have made a mistake (whilst simultaneously not accusing us of doing anything underhanded), may come into play to reduce any potential punishment.

Thanks, RAM. Excellent post.

On 10/08/2020 at 11:30, ThePrisoner said:

I disagree. Cocu told him what he needed to do to get in the squad and he did it. I think Cocu likes him as an option. 

Shinnie wants to play for Derby and always gives his best so keep him. If we are trying to hold on to a lead, he is an asset.

Archived