Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

Ive asked this before, apologies if this has been answered already.

Have the EFL ever charged a club and the club are found not guilty? I am aware of Birmingham but I know the EFL just kept appealing until a guilty verdict was given.

I personally cant think of a club that got away Scott free, I do hope I'm wrong as I'd hate to think Derby would need to break the mould to get away with it.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Ive asked this before, apologies if this has been answered already.

Have the EFL ever charged a club and the club are found not guilty? I am aware of Birmingham but I know the EFL just kept appealing until a guilty verdict was given.

I personally cant think of a club that got away Scott free, I do hope I'm wrong as I'd hate to think Derby would need to break the mould to get away with it.

It was for different reasons to us, but Stevenage did this year
https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2020/may/efl-vs-stevenage-fc-hearing-case-dismissed-oldham-athletic-sky-bet-league-two-english-football-league-thursday-7th-may-2020/

2 minutes ago, JfR said:

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

Although it seems it was a very quick process for stevenage and that was during lockdown also.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Interesting. EFL charging a club after having expressly given them permission to do what they did. Case dismissed. 

But, the EFL had the last laugh...

Macclesfield were charged for not paying players on time and other things, they were only given a 2 point deduction which meant Stevenage were relegated on the points per game thingy. Macclesfield were also given a further 4 point deduction, which would have relegated them and saved Stevenage, but the EFL suspended the 4 points for a year, so Stevange still went down.

Lots of clubs protested against the 2 point deduction as they felt it was far too leniant, guess what the EFL did???....nothing.

So Stevenage successfully challenged their charge, were found not guilty and put in a claim for damages against the EFL, but the EFL found a way to relegate them anyway.

They seem to act like a mafia, taking revenge whenever they see fit. Mel opening his mouth about the TV deal clearly put out club in the firing line.

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Probably had a fire sale of the squad and a lot of talk about the academy instead of hiring fwankie lampaard

Lampard was hired after the season under investigation. 

Fire sale of the squad within 3 days to raise in excess of £50m?

10 hours ago, DCFClks said:

If the verdict comes in and we're not charged with anything, could we sue the EFL for disrupting our season planning?

Quoting you as you're the most recent, but I've seen quite a few people suggest it. I'm not sure I see how our season preparation is disrupted.

The EFL case is going to be being dealt with by lawyers, not Cocu and the coaching team. 

Pre-season isn't going to change - "ah lads, I've just heard we've got a points penalty, so we're not going to get promoted, so we're not going to try to win games this year, might as well take it easy".

We haven't signed anyone other than MTW, but then again, hardly anyone has - it's just what the market is like right now. The only transfers that may depend on if we have a deduction or not, would be big money signings gambling on promotion this year, and I think we all know that's not a good idea anyway.

We can't even say season ticket sales are affected by it. 

So what is it that might be different as a result of us still waiting for the result? 

9 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

But, the EFL had the last laugh...

Macclesfield were charged for not paying players on time and other things, they were only given a 2 point deduction which meant Stevenage were relegated on the points per game thingy. Macclesfield were also given a further 4 point deduction, which would have relegated them and saved Stevenage, but the EFL suspended the 4 points for a year, so Stevange still went down.

Lots of clubs protested against the 2 point deduction as they felt it was far too leniant, guess what the EFL did???....nothing.

So Stevenage successfully challenged their charge, were found not guilty and put in a claim for damages against the EFL, but the EFL found a way to relegate them anyway.

They seem to act like a mafia, taking revenge whenever they see fit. Mel opening his mouth about the TV deal clearly put out club in the firing line.

To be fair to the EFL, although the initial points deduction may appear to have been lenient, would you really expect them to take action because other clubs complained? It’s a bit like them doing something because Middlesbrough or Barnsley make a fuss.

7 minutes ago, Crazy said:

Quoting you as you're the most recent, but I've seen quite a few people suggest it. I'm not sure I see how our season preparation is disrupted.

The EFL case is going to be being dealt with by lawyers, not Cocu and the coaching team. 

Pre-season isn't going to change - "ah lads, I've just heard we've got a points penalty, so we're not going to get promoted, so we're not going to try to win games this year, might as well take it easy".

We haven't signed anyone other than MTW, but then again, hardly anyone has - it's just what the market is like right now. The only transfers that may depend on if we have a deduction or not, would be big money signings gambling on promotion this year, and I think we all know that's not a good idea anyway.

So what is it that might be different as a result of us still waiting for the result? 

As much as I’d wish you were right, you Surely  can’t think that this charge didn’t play a massive factor in us not signing a single player during the January window? 

Recruitment is going to be the biggest problem with this charge hanging over us, our top targets should all be ambitious players looking for the best chance to get to the prem. with a possible 12 point deduction hanging over us that puts us to the back of the queue 

43 minutes ago, Crazy said:

A point reduction will have a big impact on the psychology and attitudes of players and staff. A relegation scrap is massively different from a promotion push. 

16 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

A point reduction will have a big impact on the psychology and attitudes of players and staff. A relegation scrap is massively different from a promotion push. 

Rooney pulled us out of a relegation scrap with the help of a few kids 

59 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You could argue that a points deduction, providing it isnt too big, could really fire the existing players up and it be a blessing in disguise.

If Martin had have stayed, or an adequate replacement joins, as well as new keeper and a right winger, I'd be far more confident regardless of points deductions.

TBH i would prefer an apology from EFL and a 12 points start on the rest of the league

The Derby Telegraph said it thought the hearing was due on Monday 13th July. Three guys in a room pondering the ins and outs...….Even if they had enough to discuss for a week lets assume their decision has been made by 20th Latest. Transcript of judgement and reasons behind it has to be written and legally vetted then the club advised first, allow another two weeks...…..Monday 3rd August. 

Verdict Lets be 'Avin you!

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The Derby Telegraph said it thought the hearing was due on Monday 13th July. Three guys in a room pondering the ins and outs...….Even if they had enough to discuss for a week lets assume their decision has been made by 20th Latest. Transcript of judgement and reasons behind it has to be written and legally vetted then the club advised first, allow another two weeks...…..Monday 3rd August. 

Verdict Lets be 'Avin you!

Three guys on zoom rather than in a room....feel a poem coming on....

Archived