Can we still be promoted?

Chester40

We cannot afford to slip up - one unlucky defeat in the first three games and it's essentially over, and the hope kills you.

I'm much more interested in watching how we play for the remainder of the season. Jan-March saw us make huge progress in our playing style and the emergence of exciting young players. I view the increased points return as merely a nice by-product for this season.

I'm looking for continued progress. Then next season, we can really go for it.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Finally started to consider that we may actually get this season off the ground.

Is there any justification for looking at the table and dreaming?? 

5 points off 6th and playing them... Its possible?.

I think it's a simple "very unlikely"

Sky have done a 'likely' table based on the remaining fixtures, the expected goals per game and the chances of each team beating the other and we're solidly outside the top 6 on that

I had a look at the form tables and since Rooney came in we've been solidly top 6 on form - That said - Over pretty much any 9 game period there's really only about 6 points separating around 16 teams in the league - We would need to be 5/6 points better than at least 6 teams above us which seems unlikely

This is one of those classic seasons where the form of 20 teams in the league has been pretty much as inconsistent as each other - that's why the middle of the table is so tight - Yes, we've been much better since the new year but not by enough

I think we're going to need 20+ points from 27 to have any chance of the playoffs

On 11 Jun 2020 at 14:06, Chester40 said:

Finally started to consider that we may actually get this season off the ground.

Is there any justification for looking at the table and dreaming?? 

5 points off 6th and playing them... Its possible?.

Only 5 points but plenty of teams to climb over. 

Very tough set of fixtures. 

Lose at Preston and its over...?

Will the season actually get finished bearing in mind the Stoke/Man United incident which showed the possible problems. 

Lottery of home /away results (shown in Bundesliga so far). 

Hard to see anyone hitting the ground running..going to be up and down. 

Possible points deductions. 

Where there is hope or its the hope that kills you??? 

Stoke / Man United incident? 

Probably know better after three more games. 7 points including wins over Millwall and PNE would be nice. I would be greatly disappointed if we do not treat the remaining games as Play Off finals. Basically if we take our goal scoring opportunities we can be in the Play Offs for sure. There is no obviously better team than us outside of the present top six.

Might have had a chance if it wasn’t for a COVID because of the momentum we had and because we had so many six pointers in the remaining fixtures. To realistically close a 5 point gap in 9 games, you’d have to beat teams above you.

Never know, the games will be more unpredictable than ever and we do have some talented players. The position we need most was a pacey winger and Jozefzoon will obviously be lethal with no fans, so there’s that.

Get off to a winning start and it’s suddenly on.

On 14/06/2020 at 12:54, Rab a dab doo said:

The answer to the question can we. 

Is of course on paper its possible.

The 'real' question do we real believe we will be.

That is much more difficult to give a logical reasoned answer to.

"Logical reasoned answer"? Where do you think you are?

???

art colors GIF by MFD

The first 2-3 games will probably have many surprise results.  Some teams will get a better start after lockdown than others.  If Derby are one of those, that can help catapult us up to playoffs and from there it's just two games away from promotion.  So, yeah.

Archived