Can we still be promoted?

Chester40

Finally started to consider that we may actually get this season off the ground.

Is there any justification for looking at the table and dreaming?? 

5 points off 6th and playing them... Its possible?.

Only 5 points but plenty of teams to climb over. 

Very tough set of fixtures. 

Lose at Preston and its over...?

Will the season actually get finished bearing in mind the Stoke/Man United incident which showed the possible problems. 

Lottery of home /away results (shown in Bundesliga so far). 

Hard to see anyone hitting the ground running..going to be up and down. 

Possible points deductions. 

Where there is hope or its the hope that kills you??? 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's definitely possible - 9 straight wins at 3-0 a piece should do it. 

I doubt we would, though, it's going to be interesting to see what states players/teams turn up. This will be like a little mini-season whereby the best teams may not be the ones who get the best results. Swansea, Preston and Charlton all got off to good starts (for example). 

We have more of a chance now we've had the break. It's a 9 game season and will feel completely detached from what's happened before. Form and positions in the table no longer matter. Whoever comes out the blocks the quickest will succeed. There's no time for getting up to pace as before you know it, it'll all be over. If we beat Millwall, it's on.

Of course we can still get promoted. Well, at the very least we can still make the playoffs. 5 points is very much recoverable over the course of 9 games. It won’t be easy of course, and with the number of teams in our way it’ll probably require 8 wins - unlikely maybe, but it’s been done before. Look at Villa last season. Quite often a team makes a last minute surge into the playoffs after coming from nowhere. With Rooney in our side, why can’t that be us? 

Last season 5 points behind 6th with 6 to go, it's doable. Beat Millwall, Reading and Preston your in the top 6 with 6 to go. Game on.

Only 1 team Fulham have picked up more points than us since Xmas, our downfall would be Luton and QPR away, draw in each would have made a big difference

3 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yep, we'll do it.

A behind closed doors play off win over the gumps......I don't know if id be ecstatic or gutted not to be there.

I'd take the locked doors every time!  Certainly if you're referring to the final!  I really don't think my heart would hold out, having to face them for such a big prize.  It'd take bragging right to whole new level, that's for sure!

Of course... If you could guarantee a win, however...

?

Yes, we can. This time last season after 37 games we were 2 points off the playoffs...this season we're 5 points off. The main difference is there are a load of clubs between us & Preston in 6th. Last year was only Middlesdump & Bristol City.

Key to this is next 3 games, Millwall & Preston are ahead of us and we play both away in those 3. If we win both, we're going to be virtually level pegging going into last 6 games...may the best man win. Fail to win/lose and we're at least 5 points behind with 6 to play, very unlikely to come back from that.

That all said, we're still rank outsiders. If we get there its a massive bonus considering 10 games ago (or 5.5 months if you prefer) people were talking about a relegation battle. Perspective needed ?

Screenshot_20200611-215913_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't mind. I think had we not have had the season paused I fancied us to storm the division next year. 

2nd best team since January. Youngsters only going to get better and more consistent. 

Another pre season to get Cocu's ideas across. 

13 hours ago, falconram said:

Last season 5 points behind 6th with 6 to go, it's doable. Beat Millwall, Reading and Preston your in the top 6 with 6 to go. Game on.

Only 1 team Fulham have picked up more points than us since Xmas, our downfall would be Luton and QPR away, draw in each would have made a big difference

I hate to burst your bubble but we'd only be top six if Preston failed to pick up 4 points during the next three games, Bristol less than 5, Cardiff less than 6 AND Millwall less than 6.

So, we could get there but it's not just down to us winning the three games.

Archived